Google Stadia

At this point, I wouldn’t buy them. It will ultimately be the consumer that decides how far they can go.

1 Like

That would make it more playable I guess but what ping did you have?

But many other people will still buy it probably.

Hopefully google would be the one doing the buying of the rights to stream a title and then all you would have to pay would be a flat fee to google.

Like the Netflix model.

2 Likes

I recently upgraded my internet service, but when I was playing it my ping was around 20-30ms-ish?

For twitchy competitive play you’d probably notice something there. But anyone playing competitive games like CS they’d probably already own their own copy.

For everyday gamers I don’t think it would be a problem at all. It wasn’t for me, and I am a pretty casual gamer.

1 Like

I am fine with a buffet type of deal for streaming, but we all know this will eventually spill into the “one-meal” sales as well.

1 Like

Again, just because this is available it doesn’t mean Steam is going away. EA most likely will not put their games here, cause they cling to their own store. Ubisoft is more open to new stuff. They sell everywhere.
But again, Steam and GOG aren’t going anywhere.

The idea is you don’t pay full price at all… You watch a couple adds and then you can play for a couple hours…

How is it that most other people can express my thoughts better than me :smiley:

1 Like

This would be ideal. I have a massive library on Steam, much of which came in things like bundles that I will never play. Why bother owning these in the first place? I don’t even care to own games, only to play them when I wish. This isn’t a car, it has no real world function outside of the screen you choose to use it with, so I don’t see a problem.

The ability to suspend and restart service is also a benefit as one only pays when they wish to play. I could see suspending my account when I want to stop spending time on the computer, like during the summers when I want to be outside and hiking more.

3 Likes

compare it to a console experience, what do you think?

1 Like

A bit worse than a console. But not by much. When playing on console I can’t really pick up on any latency problems but with AC I could tell that it was there. Once I stopped focusing on it, though, and once I got used to it, it didn’t bother me.

I very much think it’ll depend on the person playing, if they can even detect it or if it will bother them or not.

Note also that this was the beta. I’m hoping that it will improve. Even a 7-10% improvement I think would make it near perfect.

Will that happen? Will there be near-zero lag? For their own controller, I’m sure it’ll get down to unnoticeable levels. for KB/Mouse? There will always be a bit of latency, but I doubt it would cause grievance.

2 Likes

As I said before, my major concern is latency. I think you’re in an area with decent internet to begin with, no? Even with their controller sending stuff directly to the server it still has to come back to you and wait for your tv to display it.

Lets say you have a 20ms ping to the server, thats probably above average for most but, we’ll roll with it, 20ms there… and lets pretend the server takes 0ms to take in your input and make something happen, because best case scenario… Then we have to wait another 20ms for your inputs to be received by the tv. Lets say you have the best TV rtings has to offer in the input lag department at around 10-11ms. Best case scenario is 50ms input delay.

For a lot of people this will be worse.

Maybe I’m hyper sensitive to it but at 100-150ms you will have a hard time.

1 Like

In the show didn’t they show a map with where their servers where located?

1 Like

I didnt see a map but its going to heavily depend on that.

This should be fantastic in theory when you have fiber and are close.

2 Likes

We don’t know if this is a map of proposed Stadia nodes though.

2 Likes

If it is a proposed map. Google in theory will be creating thousands of jobs.

4 Likes

You fools, that is a target map for google Skynet.

5 Likes

Stadia is cool

Stadia is scary beyond belief

We all know it was inevitable, it’s been in our minds since Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and spread like wildfire with Neuromancer. Have both, we will all be dead before gaming PC’s at home go the way of the dodo but we all know for the right game you’ll jump on Stadia.

Only way to stop it is to rethink the internet, software, and hardware. And you wont live long/succeed with that

1 Like

So is private ownership.

3 Likes

The cloud always wins.

1 Like

Might want to check those EULA’s :wink:

4 Likes