Google Stadia

Thus the scary

Sad but true… too much convenience, too many lazy ppl

2 Likes

Convenience always wins.

3 Likes

tell that to Goose

2 Likes

Personally I love digital distribution. I hate piles of shit lying around my living space. I ALREADY have too much stuff!

5 Likes

trade offs for sure, I just wished I owned it all lol

3 Likes

That doesn’t defeat my statement.

1 Like

Think the point is that ownership has been decided long ago, companies are just being more overt about it.

Haven’t owned much in software, hell even hardware just harder to enforce, for a long time now.

1 Like

If you wanted to get into the detail of ownership & law you can of course get seriously in depth and this would become pol, so i won’t.

Safe to say, im talking about control, not outright ownership. People are relinquishing control in a shortsighted manner imho. Stadia is just one small part of this.

2 Likes

yep, being able to download and play offline if you ever need is great. Not having a monthly contract to be able to do this is also great.

2 Likes

yup, agreed

I would also say control is also a settled debate in gaming long ago. Outside gaming people are basically clamoring to offload responsibility of control to someone else, it’s almost human nature how many times it happens in history.

2 Likes

We should be fine with opting out of systems that don’t fit our needs and aren’t fulfilling.

For example, I finally caved and got Hulu because I was sick of trying to rely on other means to watch old episodes of Family Guy and Futurama, and the cost is negligible at this point in my life. But for another price it wouldn’t fit (IE no way am I paying cable prices for online streaming of live TV that I don’t care about).

I don’t think the old model will go away, GOG will be here for a long time I suspect.

3 Likes

What does this mean? lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hope im not taking the conversation too deep here when i say that i agree with you, but what happens ( Devli’s advocate) if this is SO successful that PC hardware ceases to be anything more than a cloud delivery system ? Windows-12 365 cloud etc…

Where is that famed choice then ? I know there are people who are ‘accept your robot overlord’ types. Seems like the masses are dragging the individual down with their apathy.

4 Likes

As long as markets are clear to do their thing, the pendulum swings back after people learn their lessons. GOG is proof of that, even if they have slid a bit with their online stuff.

Personally I think Stadia will be shit for years after its released and will take longer than no mans sky to get at a point that it’s worth jumping into. I also think that it will be forced artificially by governments/corporations onto the people for more data points for control/marketing.

2 Likes

I don’t see how that can be done… It’s fairly easily ignored…
I would love to play Ashen, but I ignore it’s existance. Nobody can force Epic store on me. Even exclusive games I think I would like… I mean Slime Rancher was free on there for some time, I still ignored it.
Nobody can force it on you.
Oh, but there is no way to play Metro Garbage Stuff so I will just go on epic… How about not play Metro?

3 Likes

Or perhaps the masses are dragging down the enthusiasts with their inability or unwillingness to buy what they see as expensive and unnecessary hardware.

Right now I see Stadia as two things:

1. An onslaught of the console market. Why buy a console when you can buy just a controller that sits in a drawer?
  2. A connecting point to PC gaming for those who thought they had no interest, or haven’t invested in the ecosystem previously for whatever reason; a targeting of the mobile demographic into a larger and more varied ecosystem.

We can talk about control, but I think for now the main goal of the service is to entice those who otherwise have nothing to do with PC gaming. We can watch the individual market simultaneously and judge Stadia’s effects in time.

3 Likes

Please don’t pol this shit.

2 Likes

That doesn’t defeat my statement. Because they are still the masses.

1 Like

They have reasons too though, they aren’t just a blanket to be thrown over what you or I find distasteful.