Gigabyte Z390 Designare Windows 10, 11 BSODs: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (WppRecorder.sys)

Built a PC 3-4+ years ago (i9-9900k) on a Z390 Gigabyte Designare motherboard, 64GB memory, 2TB NVME SSD, Seasonic Prime 1000 Titanium SSR-1000TR PSU.

Specs:
Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE
Memory: 64GB
Disk: Samsung NVME 990 PRO 2TB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 (not using the machine for gaming)
BluRay: PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M (2)
Network: Intel X550-T2 (10GbE)
Other I/O cards: I used to have a StarTech USB-C 3.1 or 3.2 PCI-e card in the machine but I have since removed for troubleshooting as I was not using that often.

I started out with Windows 10 Pro during the initial install, I have re-installed Windows 10 Pro, eventually moved to Windows 11 Pro (upgrade) and later reinstalled fresh.

I have swapped the SSD from a Samsung 2TB EVO to a Samsung 2TB PRO, yet I continue to experience semi-frequent crashes.

I have run memtest86 and memtest86+ the memory checks out good, I have always run the latest BIOS (F10) as of this posting. I am not overclocking, mostly using BIOS defaults for everything except the boot order.

Over the past few months, I have had 5 crashes so far. I am somewhat familiar with troubleshooting when on Linux (except for the [14900k issue](Debian Linux Stable on Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI (application segfaults, kernel panic) - #10 by jpiszcz which @wendell and team helped with) I recently ran into); however, on Windows, given that this issue occurs on Windows 10, a fresh Windows 10 install and Windows 11 upgrade and a fresh Windows 11 install, I am not sure what else I can do or check?

Symptoms:
The crashes almost ALWAYS happen when the machine is idle. Only one or two times in the past few years I have caught the BSOD when it happens live.

Attached are two screenshots of the last 5 bluescreens and the filenames associated with the crashes. Microsoft recommended I update the Intel ME Firmware, which I did and I though that had fixed it but the BSODs continued to occur.

Does anyone have any potential thoughts or ideas what else this issue could be or has anyone else run into something like this before? I presume the i9-9900k CPUs were OK(?) and did not have any issues?

Screenshots of the blue screen errors (one screenshot per type):

1 Like

I have upgraded the BIOS over the years (starting around F6/F7 as I never really remember this system being 100% stable, always seem to recall it crashing every 3-4+ weeks or couple of months, it is a really hard one to pin down. I would try downgrading but as far I can recall this has been an issue ever since F3/F4…

Have you tried adding a bit of offset voltage?

You may also want to try using CoreCycler. It includes frequent pauses in an attempt to catch idle instabilities.

1 Like

By idle do you need sleep mode and/or waking up from sleep mode?
Have you tried disabling hibernate?
You usually can’t mix and match ME firmware and ME drivers, ME(I) drivers can be a bit of a pain to find but station-drivers.com can usually help you out in that case :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have not tried adding ga bit of an offset voltage yet. Idle meaning logged in, screen locked with the displays off (not doing anything active interactive on the machine). Will checkout CoreCycler, thanks. Regarding the Intel ME firmware, Microsoft recommended I pull the latest from Intel’s site, is this not recommended?

CoreCycler seems OK, maybe not a CPU issue…?

make sure you install the latest stable drivers for your hardware.
gpu and motherboard related drivers.

Thanks, I upgraded the GPU drivers a bit ago, someone from support/Microsoft noted that the crashes were from a networking issue, so I have updated all of the networking drivers (including bluetooth/wifi as well):
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_11-performance/5-minidumps-included-gigabyte-z390-designare/c1d4323f-1762-421c-8a10-351cbafdb36e?messageId=5349ea33-bc52-4afd-ab7d-e9a3d23568ee

1 Like

From the core cycler description.

It will still need a lot of time though. If, for example, you’re after a 12h “prime-stable” setup which is common for regular overclocks, you’d need to run this script for 12x12 = 144 hours on a 5900X with 12 physical cores, because each core is tested individually, and so each core also needs to complete this 12 hour test individually. Respectively, on a 5600X with its 6 physical cores this would be “only” 6x12 = 72 hours.

Passing a single iteration of core cycler is a good start but doesn’t really inspire much confidence in the CPU.

1 Like