Debian Linux Stable on Pro WS W680-ACE IPMI (application segfaults, kernel panic)

Thank you for the suggestions and pointing me in the right direction, never have I experienced an issue with a CPU before…

Follow-up & questions:

1. By enabling these features, I will gain stability (awesome!)
  2. Is it worth exploring an RMA or will another i9-14900k have the same issue due to this series of chips being defective?
  3. When setting the ALL-Core Ratio Limit to 57 and 44 respectively, approximately how much overall performance is lost?
  4. Will the CPU be stable with p57/e44 ratios moving forward or will it degrade over time such that I would need to reduce the ratios even further?

Initial testing results so far with decompression of ~1TB of backups:

p core ratio 52
e core ratio 44
change to Max Non-Turbo Performance
No crash
p core ratio 57
e core ratio 44
leave Max Turbo default (Auto)
No crash

Just to confirm what I am seeing is real above, I reset the BIOS to Optimized Settings which defaults back to Intel Default settings, this is where things are unstable.

This causes a crash usually within a few a few minutes without the above options enabled:

btrfs balance start -dconvert=raid1 -mconvert=raid1 /mnt

And… BOOM! Crash in less than 2 minutes, almost guaranteed!

Now for the full test:

p core ratio 57
e core ratio 44
leave Max Turbo default (Auto for now)

Re-test by running the balance of 871GB of data:

btrfs balance start -dconvert=raid1 -mconvert=raid1 /mnt

Success! I literally forgot what a stable system was supposed to be like after so many crashes and problems. This is very early testing so far but given the BTRFS balance ran for 27 minutes and succeeded with no CPU errors with these settings is very promising.

BTRFS balance completed and no kernel CPU issue (wow!)

1 Like