Gigabyte TRX40 Motherboards - Differences between Rev 1.1 and 1.0?

Old thread, I know. But I’m in the process of replacing my TRX40 Aorus Master with the Xtreme.
Since when are these rev 1.1 boards available in the retail channel? I’ve asked a few shops which revisions they are selling, but none so far could answer that question or was willing to.

I can’t completely answer your question, but I read somewhere that Amazon is selling the Rev 1.1 version. I have rev 1.0 and bought the Rev 1.1 off of Amazon and can confirm that it ships rev 1.1 (btw - bhphoto explicitly states rev 1.0). However, the tldr is that I returned rev 1.1 to Amazon without opening after extensively testing and verifying my rev 1.0 board with a 3970X processor. My testing was done with 256GB of Micron 3200 Mhz ECC RAM. Doing a little research seemed to indicate that the rev 1.1 changed the power delivery to memory for the 3990x. I reached out to puget systems and they responded by providing Gigabyte’s response to them, which was, “TRX40 AORUS Pro WIFI rev. 1.1 change DDR PMW from analog 1 to digital 2 to lower the temperature when using current release 64 core CPUs.”

However I am a little suspicious of the change because there was also an update to a lot of Gigabyte 570 boards where it seems the alteration was do to supply chain issues and that the later Rev was actually a less performant part. I’ve wondered if the same is true for the TRX40 Gigabyte motherboards. Some evidence that might support this concern is that vendors seem to still be selling rev 1.0 boards which suggests Gigabyte continues to make both versions. Unfortunately, my electrical engineering knowledge is not sufficient to filter whether Gigabyte’s response is PR BS or legit.

That’s why I think MSI and ASUS are better than Gigabyte.

I really like Asus’s Zeneith Extreme II Alpha, but when I put in two graphics cards, so that the second one was in the 3rd Pcie slot, it covered the chip heatsink fan, affecting cooling and noise. The Gigabyte board layout did not have this problem. It also has the intel 550-T2 NIC which is better than the Aquantia AQC107 in the Asus board. This is not to dog on the Asus board at all, but I really have liked the Gigabyte board, and from a functionality standpoint, it has done everything the specs promised. The IOMMU groupings were great as well… I was lucky in that Microcenter was willing to replace the Asus board with the Gigabyte one, even though I had opened and used the Asus one; shout out for Microcenter!

thats standard for a gigabyte board mate.
at first boot after the ram is installed it will test the cas latency,
if your good it will reboot and test the other 4 param’s of the primary timings. rebooting each time it hits a stable timing.
if your system is training every boot it means your ram timings are incorrect and need changing.(enable xmp or manually adjust em)

as for the version update change. thats down to the motherboard firmware. typically it means they are using a different chip for the chipset or have updated the firmware on the new boards

Alright, thanks. I guess I’m playing dice and order one and try to be happy with whatever revision it has.

My TRX40 Aorus Master has some nasty sound and USB problems. I thought the new revisions did something in that department, but reading your answer it looks I’m out of luck.

I “only” have an 3960X 24-core, but overclocked. So this CPU can pull up to 450W on load alone on my settings. Memory is running at 3666 CL14 for 128GB 8 modules. With 4 modules and 64GB 3733 CL14 was possible. So maybe better power delivery to memory could be beneficial if that is what rev. 1.1 brings?!

I also considered to switch brands, but the Aorus Xtreme has by far the best layout.

would you please post a picture of what those ECC settings look like? Many thanks

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.