Gigabyte TRX40 Motherboards - Differences between Rev 1.1 and 1.0?

I’m not sure if they are out yet, can’t really find much info online about them

@dispat0r, @nbartowski, et al,

FWIW, The Version 1.0 TRX40 Aorus Xtreme Boards have a new BIOS (F4k) available now. It includes AGESA 1.0.0.4.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/TRX40-AORUS-XTREME-rev-10/support#support-dl

1 Like

Thanks. Im running it already. Memory training seems a little bit faster.

Cool! I was hoping some others might be braver than I, and already upgraded … and could share the experience. I’m kinda a newbie, and just recently completed this machine, and I get nervous about firmware upgrading.

Outside of faster boot times, anything else in the way of new features? Improved overall performance?

Some new ECC settings nothing else found so far.

Thanks a bunch. I never DID splurge on ECC sticks, so I guess those mods won’t affect me. :wink:

DO please report back if you discover any other differences.

I am not really sure I am going to try this upgrade, as I am not having any issues with my machine’s behavior. They DO say not to upgrade if you’re not having problems. It seems like a lot of risk, just to get faster boot speeds IMO.

I would love to hear others’ opinions on it, though … again, I’m a newbie to machine building/upgrading.

You can flash just one of the two bios chips if you want to try F4k while retaining your existing bios.

Thanks, Koren. Yes, I am aware of that possibility. But in my “newbie-ist” research, I have seen mixed info on the usability of the dual BIOSes, with some reviewers saying the implementation is confusing and difficult to manage. It kinda scared me away from playing with it.

But yeah, I will probably, at some point, open the books on this again and read up on this feature.

Thank you again for the suggestion.:+1:

@pvs, if you’re not comfortable, that intuition is likely worth listening to. I will flash the new BIOS to one of the chips over the weekend and can post a quick recap if you’re interested.

Thank you very much Koren! Yes, I would really appreciate that!

@pvs, here is the quick recap I promised.

I just flashed the F5j bios to the main chip. In the third stage of the Q-Flash process (“Run”), there is a checkbox labeled “Also update backup bios.” In dual-bios mode (right switch down) this is unchecked by default. If I recall correctly, when flashing in single-bios mode the checkbox simply doesn’t appear or is unselectable. F5j posted without issue. I adjusted the fan curves and loaded XMP for the RAM. For good measure I reset the system a few times. (Aside: There is some kind of automated checksum for the bios file on your thumb drive, but I don’t know how it works.)

You’re the best judge of whether the update is worth the hassle, but I encountered no problems.

1 Like

Thanks much, Koren! I wound up diving in and upgrading my own, as a result of your recap here. I DID note a few things different from your summary, and I also decided to use Q-Flash+ instead of Q-Flash.

First note … I thought you were doing the same board as me, but I guess we have different ones, and MY upgrade was to F4k, not F5j, as you had. No biggie.

I had done some “self-education” over the past few days, and I see I was a bit wrong in how I thought the dual BIOSes work. I had thought that I could back up my current BIOS, with the various configuration changes I had made to it, and then I would flash the NEW BIOS into the Main BIOS chip. Seems like that concept is wrong, from what I have read.

Instead, it looks like the Backup BIOS holds the confirmed ORIGINAL BIOS, and is used to re-flash the MAIN BIOS if something goes wrong. There seems to be no way (that I could find) of copying one’s current MAIN BIOS into the Backup BIOS chip.

And no, I could not see a way to only flash one chip. I DID also poke around with Q-Flash, and it did not ask me which of the two, or if I wanted both BIOSes updated … at least as far as I progressed. Maybe there are3 some slight differences between your board and mine, or maybe I just didn’t progress far enough? I dunno.

FWIW, I DID ensure that I had the BIOS-SB down, so that I am using dual BIOSes, and I also put the BIOS-SW down, so that I was booting from MAIN. (I booted once, into BIOS with that switch in the UP position, so that I booted from the backup … and it WAS a copy of my current (at the time) F4d BIOS, but that’s what my board originally came with. It was, as described, a pure manufacturer’s version, with none of my configuration changes in place … none of my fan curves, no XMP, the Logo Screen still showing, etc. I could find no way to back up my current configuration, with its changes, to that Backup BIOS chip.

Anyway, as I noted, I used Q-Flash+, and it proceeded smoothly. I am glad I took pictures of the various screens from my old config, as I found them REALLY useful in re-establishing my Fan Curves and other tweaks I had set up.

But so far, so good! I am kinda happy I did it, even though it “wasn’t broken”, hehe! :wink:

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your recap. You made it sound pretty easy … and I guess, in retrospect, it was.
-pvs

1 Like

So Gigabyte removed the latest firmware for both rev 1.0 and 1.1; does anyone know why? I’ll ask tech support but I was curious if anyone had heard anything.

Very interesting, thank you for the alert.

I have not heard anything, though I HAVE experienced two minor issues since I upgraded to F4k.

I have another thread open on the subject on the Gigabyte Forum, and I just checked it to see if any news was added … it has not. I will ask the question there and relay any information should there be any updates.

1 Like

Okay, looks like it’s now been upgraded to F4l. So it appears we both looked while there was a transition happening.

Guess I have something to do later :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi

Does this boards are different? I was asking support and only got that they make this board’s simultaneously hmm and the bios is only different. I cant find the revision 1.1 anyware. The shops cant even distinguish wchich rev they have. I’ts realy better choice to search rev.1.1? Why can somebody explain me. Please I want to buy one. Threadripper is waiting :wink:

If you follow the link below, there is something for changes from rev 1.0 to 1.1.
Namely a response from Gigabyte Support (I can not vouch for this) :

“They are the same board, just rev 1.1 switch the PWM from analog to digital for better support of the 64 Core CPU.”

So it looks like you have to smooch with Gigabyte Support to find out. Or just ask the retailer before ordering, if you will get a v1.2. When not, move on to the next retailer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/i2l4kk/trx40_motherboards_rev_11_vs_10_and_bios_updates/gdt6plu/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Hey guys any new info found about v1.1? Anything better in V1 (rare but possible)?

I’ve had a 1.0 and a 1.1 board. The 1.0 revision of the board caused the fan to spin up on my PSU even when the system was idle due to the amount of current draw on the 5V rail. With the 1.1 revision the PSU fan stays at 0 RPM until the system is under load, and the power draw on the 5V rail is much lower. Other than that I haven’t noticed any differences.

1 Like

I also updated to this bios, with TRX40 master and AMD 3960x. No issues, but I had a nightmare of a frustration in setting up NVMe RAID0 [4x 2TB Corsair 600, which started as 3x 2TB when I tried to plug them into the MB, I tried nearly 200 boot ups, no dice! I AMZ-primed my way to ASUS Gen4 raid-on-chip card for $80USD ( and another 2TB, why not? ) and finally it worked. 2 months on this, every day, waking up with a smile, ready to patiently fail 5 or 6 times. Dream computer, meh. Background out the way, the bios update was smooth and uneventful, and smooth sailing since. I punish this machine with heavy computational load, no issues. :slight_smile: