Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 3.0 Stay Away!

UD7 should be excellent. otherwise, if you don't like it, some poor sap will buy it off ebay for more than you paid.

but, the crosshair has an extra cpu 4-pin, for better overclocking.

I feel sorry for all you people who have brought these gigabyte boards, hearing all these bad things puts me off their boards which is sad because what else is there, ASUS has really bad RMA apparently (rather have a bad board I can RMA than a broken one I cant).

Honestly, I don't think any of the big companies have good RMA service. You're kinda screwed with all of them, and it sucks.

Especially outside of the USA in say Australia or NZ where they offer even less services. Its a shame considering dell for example offer advanced exchange even in new zealand(Like next day replacement).

if you like black red theme then yeah the Asus crosshair V formula Z board, is the best you could buy.  or the Asrock 990FX Fatality professional. i personaly dont like gigabyte AM3+ boards at all.

SO... A bit of tinkering and I've now got my OC up to 4.7ghz on my UD3 rev 1.1

I know my chip will OC higher but I'm pretty sure it's the MOBO holding me back! Haven't seen any announcements from AMD regarding MB's so I MIGHT be grabbing an Asus ROG board soon!

well you still lucky that you reached that 4.7 GHZ spot stable... how about the vrm´s and northbridge temps?

I have the same board.  Just sharing my experiences...

I've had my FX 8350 as high as 4.75GHz @ 1.50v on my GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.0 board using a combo of FSB/NB/HTT and multiplier OCing.  Using an H100i and temps are reasonable on the CPU.  Immediately after doing a 15 min stress test to heat things up and check for any glaring instability (* I plan to do a longer stress test later of course, this was just a prelim) I popped off the back cover and felt the board behind the VRMs, as well as the VRM and NB heatsinks.  They were warm, but not hot.

I have an Antec spot cool blowing across the NB and VRM heatsinks, as well as an additional CPU and VRM backside vent and fan.  So far so good.

Even though this board doesn't have LLC, the voltage stays reasonably stable under load.  Minor fluctuations of +/- .025 are few and far between and so far have had no major impact on stability, at least for me so far.

For me, the secret was loostening my memory timings and staying at or below 1800 on the RAM.  Going to 1866 on thight timings seems to stress the IMC and NB and create instabilities.  Getting away from this allowed me to go a little higher on the same voltages.

I may get raged at for saying this but I read thousands of posts like this after buying my GA-990FXA-UD3 and I thought there was no hope. I just got it powered up 2 days ago and started messing with the bios to stop my throttling I was jumping from 1.5GHz to 4.1GHz back and forth and my voltage from 1.3v to .87v.

After staying up till 3AM trying to figure it out, I manually clocked everything into my Bios and I was running 3.6GHz stable, decided to put my hyper 212 evo and pull fan on and start overclocking. As of this morning I am running a stable 4.5GHz, vcore 1.45v to 1.467v with no more throttling. I agree the BIOs are crap but hey, this board is doable, all it takes is a little math. 

This is a Rev 3.0 board that I'm on btw.

im still not a fan of gigabyte am3+ boards at all, theire intel boards are great, but theire amd boards ..i´m realy doubting. Would be cool if gigabyte brings theire  Sniper  or OC Force line to the AM3+ platform. But it seems that mobo manufacturers are more interested in intel.. and thats realy sadd.

Hey Guys I also have the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 and I overclocked it to 4.2Ghz and when I tested it for stability some core drop @ 2.9Ghz and then runs @ 3.7Ghz. . and the cpu is @ 47degrees. . Isn't it thottling issue?>

Its better to start a new own topic about your particular problem. Because this topic is realy old and the REV4.0 is a diffrent board.

So please feel free and start a new topic about your particular problem.

Grtz Angel ☺

This is why I generally stay away from Gigabyte motherboards. Their Higher end products are fine but always seem to be lacking something compared to their Asus/MSI competing products.

Excellent necro.

Funny thing is that my cheap H97 Gigabyte board has been flawless. My MSI's Z77 board has been quite troublesome - requiring 2 RMAs and still not working properly.

weeeird it showed as "new"

I steer clear of Gigabyte motherboards. I have had 2 that burned out after 1 week of usage.
The first got RMA'ed, the replacement board burned out after a couple of days also.
The 2nd board got RMA'ed also, but while waiting for the 3rd board I bought an ASUS board, and sold the Gigabyte board online when I got a new one from the RMA. THE ASUS motherboard has been rock solid for about 3 years now, and shows no signs of instability.

I dont like Gigabyte boards either.

But thats not a secret lol.

I just RMA'd my Gigabyte board, they email me to say they received it.... And then they kept it at the facility for over 3 weeks without a word to me, never sent it back out until I actually called and asked where my shit was.

Wow, I didn't realize that so many people were having issues with this board. I have never used Gigabyte, so I have hardly ever recommended them. This board had a great price-point, however, and I know that I have given it as a recommendation a couple times. Kind of feel bad now. :\

Didn't Jayztwocents recommend this board, specifically the revision 3?