Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 3.0 Stay Away!

Nah. In about 30 seconds of prime the voltage starts to throttle so stress testing is pointless. I just played some games like BF3 for a few hours on end to see if I BSOD. So far it's only done it once and that was when I bumped the vcore down .25v.

Yeah PCI-E 3.0 would be awesome.

Well I wrote a review on NewEgg, not sure why I didn't think of that first. lol

Interestingly enough one of the other guys did before me and got an email from one of Gigabyte's people asking how the could help solve the problem.

yeah i think its hard to solve, you can contact gigabyte about the issue, but they won´t  do anything to help, cause they would probably say, on stock speeds it runs fine.so our product is doing what it suppose to do... custom LC cooling with special heatsinks on the vrms, lc cooler coud be an option, but its  just not worth it.. i would say just replace the board, if you dont trust it. buy the Asus ROG  Sabbertooth or Asrock Extreme 9...

Thats what i gonne do next year, about the review you writen on newegg thats great, i readed much about those reviews on diffrent hardware sites, especialy in the Netherlands,  and thats why i know you are not the only one with this problem. ☺ many many complainings.. i can eaven say that the Asus M5A99FX pro R2.0  with only 6+2 power phase, but digi vrm´s would be a better choice then those GB boards.. Logan did the OC  FX8350 VS i5 OC on this asus board, he overclocked it to 5 GHZ if im right, and did those gaming benchmarks, maybe if Logan reads this thread, he can tell more about this particular motherboard... Asus M5A99FX pro R2.0

Well the story continues, my contact with support has seemingly ended as they seem to not want to reply any further. I made a post on Gigabytes Facebook page in hope that we could get some actual help, unfortunately they ended up hiding my post. Today I followed up with another post and I've decided I will not stop bothering them till they actually help us.

Oh I also got some pictures of the warping we are seeing due the high VRM temps.

I really wish I had some contacts so that this could be made more public, the crap we have had to deal with is ridiculous and it seems companies only respond to public pressure....

yeah it is stupid realy, but unfortunatley not much to do about it, i am totaly not a big fan of Gigabyte AM3+ boards... The only thing you can hope that the board will fail in warnety period, so then you can RMA the board.

but if not, i would save up some money, and  replace your mobo, for a Asus crosshair formula, the Sabbertooth Gen 3 or the Asrock extreme 9. i know those boards are not cheap, but that are the top of the line am3+ boards.

grtz Angel ☺

Sorry about your problems, I don't know if I can help. Making sure there is good contact between the heatsink and the power stage mosfets is always a good idea. I have removed the thermal pad and use good quality thermal paste instead, careful though, conductive paste might short out the motherboard. Haven't really done any real testing to see any difference though. The Enzotech copper heatsinks have good rep, I think that one must be better than the stock aluminium one. I see you already have a fan on the heatsink, usually that solves many problems.

My Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 is Rev 1.0 and it works well. I have overclocked Phenoms on it and tested a FX-8350 on it too. Lack of LLC makes it hard to overclock much, but at stock there were no real problems. I have an Asus Sabertooth, and that board overclocks like a champ. My UD3 runs my old Phenom II 565 at 4 GHz right now, no problems at all with that, but overclocking the 8350 didn't really work. No problems at stock though.

Not much fun that Gigabytes support are unresponsive, usually it is hard to get those companies to listen. You really need to convince them you know your stuff.

Hi there!

I have this motherboard from gigabyte http://it.gigabyte.com/products/page/mb/ga-990xa-ud3rev_30 its the one with tht 990x chipset, it also have the problem of the CPU voltage that oscillate at full load, very bad. If I have understood well there is no heatsink on the VRM of this motherboard and gigabyte software controll make the VRM goes up and down to prevet their overheating? So at now the only solution is to use and extra fan? ( It also would be very hard to put a fan directly overthere...there is no space or anchor it to the case ).

Also I would like to point out that my motheraboard has another problem, after many tests I have discovered that if the FX cpu is overclocked and the turbo core is disabled, at boot the motherboard make 3 attemp before actually starting...incredible!! THis is all BIOS related!! 

I have the Rev 1 of this board. I currently have it OC'd to 4.6ghz completely stable (temp and otherwise). I have had the chip up to 4.8 and 5ghz but temps got a little high there. 

I haven't noticed any problems with the VRM but then again I have the REV 1 board. 

I have to agree the BIOS is completely useless in a lot of ways, and is not really the best for seasoned OC'ers.

I'm TRYING to hold out for a new Asus board, perhaps with the 1090FX or whatever it will be called? XD

Here's hoping!

Hey everyone i was having this same problem but i found a solution. I went into the bios and enabled HPC (high performance computing mode) and it stopped throttling and i haven't had a problem since. Hope this helps.

Yeah early in our search for a solution a few of use tried it after hearing someone said it worked for them but it doesn't work for some of us. :(

We even went and tried different BIOS versions and all were a no go.

Well I return with more news.

Okay, they announced an new revision for the 990FXA-UD3 (Rev. 4) this is the fifth revision in the UD3 line which I think really says something about the product as a whole. With the news of the new features on the board it confirms everything they so willing told us we were wrong about, it will feature a better heat sink and other things that will help it support AMD AM3+ CPUs without breaking. Info:http://www.techpowerup.com/186972/gigabyte-rolls-out-990fxa-ud3-rev-4.html

After hearing about it I decided to bother their customer support one more time, I called their RMA rep and was told they don't do revision swaps. So everyone who has a UD3 Rev. 3 is on their own.

Here is another fantastic response from Gigabyte.

I got a reply from Gigabyte about my UD3 RMA! They said that they can not find anything wrong with the hard drive controller. The only issues I had with hard drives was that it would not recognize them until they had been formatted.

I RMA'd it because of overheating and a bad bios that caused more overheating.

So it looks like I will be getting the same warped board back. $220 flushed down the toilet...........

That was a response given to miklkit on OCN about his RMA.

Hey everyone, I saw mistery angel talking about a asus board earlier, and I was wondering if the Asus m5a99x evo 2.0 am3+ is a good board for over clocking a 8320 And everything else. 

Yes. I don't own the board myself, but from what I've read in the reviews, it's a high quality MB. 

i was talking about the Asus M5A99FX pro R2.0 with 6+2 powerphase and digi vrm. this board is indeed  a good board for basic overclocks, if you want to into extremer overclocking, then i could recommend to look at a Asus sabertooth 990FX R2.0, Asus crosshair formula Z, or Asrock Extreme 9

Would I ever be able to get my 8320 over 4.4ghz on that board?

Put it in an nzxt phantom with a 230mm fan blowing on the damn heatsinks, worked for me lol. I got my 8120 to 4.7ghz at 1.43v give or take and 1866 ram.

Accually i think mines a rev 1.1 and ive had no issues. Even spilt a beer on the thing while it was running and it was still good.

Yeah putting a fan on the heat sink is the only thing you can do with the Rev. 3. Still waiting to see if the Rev. 4 is a failure like the Rve. 3 is.

I ran into the exact problems with my gigabyte 990fx D3. I added my own heatsink aswell but, still didn't trust it. Gigabyte needs to get their act together on the D3/UD3 series.

You can watch my burn-sports at

https://teksyndicate.com/forum/other-hardware/power-supply-paradox/144195

Yes on the Asus M5A99FX pro R2.0 you should be able to do that.

Well the time is boiling down and I gotta figure out what board I'm going to buy to replace the devil that is currently smoldering in my case. I hate Gigabyte but I'm stuck between the GA-990FXA-UD7 and the Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z, the main thing is looks. Somewhat of a silly reason but my rig was geared towards black/orange and well the Asus board it pretty bright red/white and I'm not too sure how it would look with orange UV tubing, orange RAM and my orange/black case.

Do I stare at a what could possible be a very ugly combo, or do I buy the UD7 and hope it has no issues?

I could possibly have a black, white, red, and orange paint combo on a new case? (As much as I like the NZXT Phantom, some of the newer cases are pretty sick)

I just don't know haha I'm really freaking mixed on this.