Ghekko server: A Series of Non-thought out Events

Preamble

So, my OpenBSD challenge got me thinking, why the hell don’t I have a proper home server? Well, could be a few reasons, being a pleb is one, also that I can’t seem to do anything properly could be the other one. :man_shrugging: Whatever it is, I thought, I can wing it, right?

The Purpose in life

Just my all-rounder kind of box, that will do anything I’ll throw at it to the best of its abilities.

• LAN DNS
  • something like pihole maybe?
  • Storage
  • Git
  • maybe more if it can handle it :man_shrugging:

The Scavenge Hunt

And so here we are today. I got meself a Supermicro X8SAX workstation motherboard and an Intel Xeon E5530 CPU for free from my brother as he doesn’t use it anymore, what with his Ryzens and shit. So I snatched that.

Conveniently I had a heat sink just for it just laying around in it’s original packaging! So that’s a plus.

Next, RAM. Well given that the MB doesn’t support registered ECC RAM, and unbuffered RAM is more expensive, I’ll just lose some RAM from my main rig. 24 GBs, 16GBs, what’s the difference.

I also have some SSDs laying around (used 1 as a backup drive lol) from @mutation666, one of them is probably going to be the OS drive.

And I also have a questionable quality rackmount case laying around, so that’s gonna work just fine.

The X-Parts: I want to believe

As you might’ve noticed, I am missing some shit. Namely:

UPDATE: got eem, but class ofc

• :white_check_mark: PSU
  • :white_check_mark: GPU (Xeon doen’t have any graphics)
  • :white_check_mark: Storage (I got the SSD for OS drive, but muh data)
  • :x: Class, ain’t happening

Bright Old Future

So when I’ll get all this oldish hardware, next steps would be:

• :negative_squared_cross_mark:: InStAlL oPeNbSd
  • change of plans, use what I know (linux) and play with OpenBSD on old ass PC or virtual machine on the server
  • actually set up and confiture the server
  • PROFIT!

Daughter Threads

Thanks for reading! :wink:

10 Likes

new server when?

still need PSU and HDDs

7 Likes

I can send you some SAS drives. Not sure on the cost, though. For shipping.

If it’s less than $50 for shipping I’ll take care of it if you’re comfortable getting me an address. Through DM obviously

5 Likes

lol, wbu SAS controller? :joy:

4 Likes

I knew I had a low heatsink, but I wasn’t sure it will fil.

Turns out perfect match, same socket, and it’s a Supermicro one for Supermicro motherboard :smiley:

7 Likes

BIG REE

notice the R

5 Likes

I don’t need 24 GBs in my main rig anyways

no ECC tho :frowning:

5 Likes

NON-THOUGHT OUT EVENT 7 or something like that

So ehm, yeah… You know how I don’t have all this stuff

Well, ehm, I ehm, kinda like, ehm, you know… Got another “server”? Yeah…

$10 lol.

Oooh, shiny.

OH BOI! I love enterprise now! It’s just slides out!

I bring shame to my gek by using AMD, but $10 is $10.

LET ER RIP!

Big OOF. Well, I guess I do need to buy some RAM. And obviously the disks.

SOONTM

7 Likes

I’ll call it, Ghekko-Jr

4 Likes

tff

I need

4 Likes

Big Balla Gek

3 Likes

Groove street, home.

2 Likes

It’s even better.

It was laying in a warehouse for few years, I got it for free, my bro’s company just ate those $10 for me, just to get rid of it.

1 Like

ur gay

no but actually this is making me want to put more work into my bsd machines XD

probs a thread tomorrow since I won’t have anything to do and the ree has chilled out.

1 Like

REEEEEEEE

2 Likes

NON-THOUGHT OUT EVENTS 8-14 gek is actually R word

Remember this?

I’ve already contacted some local craigslist guy who sells this:

Claims it’s unused and shipped from US, so seems to be as good as any, the plus is that he’s local, no shipping!

GOT EEM!

Another nvidia card in the family! Hol up, OpenBSD doesn’t support Nvidia tho… :man_facepalming: I am 200% dumb. Oh well, I don’t have PSU anyways. Speaking of that. I needed to test if it even works.

I have old 20pin PSU, but that won’t cut it.

:thinking: let’s just plug the Ghekko-Jr into Ghekko, some wincest never hurt nobody.

Aaaand it doesn’t work… Fuck is it the PSU set up or GPU? Fuck it, let’s test it on Pentium 4 granny.

Aaaand it doesn’t work… Oh haha, I put that DVI wrong way in, let’s try that again. :sweat_smile:

There we go! don’t test your stuff like that, I am professional gek, so it’s fine for me

Maybe, wincest doesn’t work, let’s try someone bit older than the Jr. IBM shall do it again, right?

Aaaand it doesn’t work… Oh wait, forgot about the 4pin for the CPU… I think I am actually, literally mentally deficient.

Beautiful jank, okay let’s do it.

THE GHEKKO IS ALIVE!

On life-support from IBM, but hey! Okay now that I know it all works, let’s get back to Ghekko-Jr.

There’s an internal USB port for stick to put an OS on, but I’d rather put it on an SSD, plus there’s a free SATA port that’s not in the caddies.

Fuck, it should work, but I hate those 4-pin Molex to SATA cables, I had an SSD die by short already coz of one. I think it’s coz the pin moved on another pin, coz the connector wobbles like shit on a stick.

Yeah, that’ll do it! Now to install OpenBSD there

Yee, boi!

Wait, why doesn’t the IBM boot up? FUCK

4 Likes

because you touch yourself at night

2 Likes

speaking of that, 12:30 AM, I better go to bed, nobody posts anything funny here anyways

5 Likes

if you werent so anti discord you could get in with the cool people

3 Likes

discord works too well for me to like it, plus too mainstream

I mean it’s proprietary, reeee

4 Likes