GeForce Experience Gets New Features & Locks Driver Downloads to GFE

Not only that, you NEED their GameForce Experience nonsense too. Forget about downloading the latest drivers from their site as a standalone package.

As far as I'm concerned :

2 Likes

im pissed.
on the other hand happy to see streaming is being improved as i just bought a laptop for streaming.

i'm torn. i like the features but they are complete dickholes about it. still prefer AMD

Meh. I kinda like GeForce Experience. I don't use any of the graphics preset stuff, but Shadowplay is pretty neat. I prefer it over FRAPS, which was what I swore by until I tried Shadowplay.

I do think it's kinda silly that you have to register for it, but I don't see it as a huge issue. Besides, if you're worried about privacy then just make a spam email.

Since it's going to be mandatory, maybe it will lead to them putting out a Linux version too.

1 Like

As much as I liked GeForce Experience back when I had a Nvidia card I cant say I am happy about this. A big part of pc gaming is having choices and you would think they would understand this.

If they feel that strongly about this topic then they should sell their Nvidia card and buy an AMD one. I guess I just don't see the point in having the website when you should be on the latest drivers anyways. The GFE provides that and makes drivers easy.

I however don't agree with the need to have your email address just to get drivers.

I know you are busy but, could you explain why someone would want to go to the website to get drivers instead of letting GFE get the newest one?

Also. Hi Logan!

I did not deny that there were issues. In fact I have explicitly said they should be sued over the way the way the whole thing went down. But the issues in every real world metric we can use to measure the graphics card performance prove that it doesn't matter. Yes there are some CUDA applications where you can see the drop off, but in REAL WORLD GAMING, it does not matter. Sure it is entirely possible that given a few years and a more widespread adoption of things like 4k, it may become a bigger deal in a few years. But at that point, if you have a GTX 970 or even a GTX 980 which does not have the issue, it will be time to upgrade anyway. With things like Pascal and AMD Greenland coming, its hard to deny that GPU technology is going to make a big jump pretty quickly after being fairly stagnent for quite a while now. But upgrading will come not because of the memory issue, but because the GPU itself won't have enough horsepower to drive the pixels.

As for the BIOS modding concept, I was just using it to further my point. I don't expect everyone to go out and do it. Even at stock, it's a great card. But when you unlock the voltage and power limits of the card it is SCREAMING fast, as fast as the 980, and it costs at this point NEARLY HALF -- 55%--the cost of a GTX 980. So you are wrong to say that you should be pissed off about this card, because in things that actually matter it is a GREAT card.

Yes, you are right in that it is a horrible implementation of a technology that is designed to get you to buy their shit. They've done this before, with various AA modes and PhysX and other things. But in the end it doesn't really matter, because the games that use HairWorks (Witcher 3) don't "look like shit" when Geralt's chest hair isn't flowing into the wind. It's a technology you can ignore, or you can get a little icing on your cake if you happento be buying a new card anyway.

But again, they eventually WILL, and so will AMD. AMD had no reason to discontinue current driver support for the HD4000 series when they did, They aren't so significantly different form the HD 5000 or HD 6000 series that the newer drivers couldn't also have worked for the HD 4000 series. But they did, and they did because they were old and outdated anyway. nVidia has done the same, with the GTX 200 and GTX 300 series. Eventually the HD 5000 and HD 6000 and even the HD 7000 series from AMD will be phased out, because the focus for them has shifted from the old way of doing things to GCN. NVidia will do the same, too, with the GTX 400 and GTX 500 series. It is something that has been happening since the dawn of graphics cards.
Lets put this into perspective. We've already established that Fermi was awful. The GTX 480 came out in the year 2010, literally 5 years ago. At the same time Intel released Westmere, the first 1156 processors. I don't know any serious gamer, let alone PC enthusiast, still using these products as their main gaming machine, and with good reason. The GTX 480 gets 5720 in 3dMark 11, which is about the same as the GTX 750 Ti at 5690. The GTX 480 was a 250 watt card, and the GTX 750 Ti was a 60 Watt card. The GTX 480 costed $500 at launch, while the GTX 750 costed $150 at launch. That is literally how far we have come in this space. So why does it matter if they stop making driver updates for this product?

Again, I don't know WHAT this has to do with using GFE to update your drivers, it is completely irrelevant to the conversation and yet you keep bringing it up.

I agree its stupid, but ALOT of companies are doing this now. Just give them a throw away email? You should have a garbage email account anyway for this very reason. Welcome to the future.

Firefox checks for updates. It's just you have to click Update. And if someone can't be "bothered" to do that...well then, I have no sympathy for them. Firefox gives you the option to relaunch now or at a later time, if you're in the middle of something. There's really no excuse, and "I don't know how to do it," really isn't much of one, when it's pretty clear that hitting Update, will download and install the newest version. This makes me nervous about how much automation makes people lazy and/or stupid, but that's for another thread.

Older versions of Firefox did not, just to be clear.
And while I agree people are lazy and stupid, when they probably shouldn't be, that is reality. While I would love to live in a world where things like auto-updates weren't required, we actually do live in a world where it probably should be. For this little corner of the internet, where PC enthusiasts live, auto-updates are probably not the best thing. But look outside our little bubble to the bigger picture, the computer industry as a whole. Just think about how many people are still using Windows XP, something like 12% of all PCs are still running an operating system that came out in 2001. Look at how many Java zero-day exploits that are floating around, because people haven't updated their version of java. Look how many people are still using really old versions of IE, 11% of the internet is still using IE 8. Even things like old versions of Adobe Reader/Acrobat are vectors for attack. Adobe flash is wholly insecure and is running on millions of PCs. Theres things like the heart bleed incident that if not updated would have exposed confidential information to anyone who wanted it.
Updates are important, and people don't run them. Its a fact.

So this is another anti-nVIDIA thread where people get ahead of themselves a bit. The Guru3D article is much more inflammatory then it needs to be. And it's easy to understand why some people prefer it. The original article is at AnandTech:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9721/nvidia-geforce-experience-update-4k-gamestream-1080p-twitch-driver-update-changes-to-come

The passage that got Guru3D fired up is:

The change in driver distribution will be accompanied by a yet to be fully detailed registration system where NVIDIA will be asking users to register their email addresses with GeForce Experience.

The wording is indeed a bit unfortunate, but it doesn't indicate that you'll need to have an nVIDIA account in order to get driver updates. The account is there so that pairing between devices is automatically made in order to simplify the GameStream experience.

GameStream pairing isn't very complicated but people still manage to often fail at it. This new method will ensure that pairing is much easier to do and in a much more secure way (since it asks for an actual e-mail login on all the paired devices).

The account will also be used to distribute game codes and for other promotional things (invitations to events, stuff like that). Now game codes are distributed in the box with the graphics card. This will change and allow nVIDIA to retroactively give game codes to people that pre-ordered or that just missed some bundle promotion. There are many threads with angry people that are in situations like that. And this will fix those problems.

So they are advertising to you? Lol you need to understand, not everyone wants to do things "The Nvidia" way.. Not everyone wants to use Geforce Experience and not many are going to want to give up a email to install a driver... Back when i had a 770 i barely used Geforce Experience. And the same thing is happening now with Ratpr not everyone is going to want to use it..

Just download a driver, install it and leave people alone. Nvidia doesnt need to fix what's not broken.

Also just because people are critizing Nvidia doesnt make it a hate thread. People want them to stop with the nonsense.

See, this is what I meant... Game ready drivers...
No problem, AMD need some market share anyways...

I wish NVIDIA would take a page from the Raptr app.

The Raptr app is to a degree the same as the Geforce Experience application, except it damn advertises to you every chance it gets.

Isn't Raptr third party app, integrated with amd features, instead of GFE, that is Nvidia's software? Or am I mistaken...

It's definitely a third party app. And all the features that are built on to the application is all features from other 3rd party software. I believe Twitch is integrated and a recording tool (I forget who made it) which is supposed to replicate Nvidias built in Game recording software. Stuff like that. But it also tries advertising to you as well.

1 Like

I know they don't. I'm not out-of-touch with the casual user. We all deal with them somewhere, most likely in our own family. They just need to be taught. Yeah, there will be those that vehemently resist. Either they had a bad teacher, or they like having everything done for them. Nothing you can do about the latter.

I'm pretty sure people wouldn't feel this way about self-driving cars. The car might think it knows a better way, but the driver knows a better one. I've seen this with GPS all the time. If someone has never driven before though, they won't know any better and just trust the machine, regardless of what technology that is (aside from not being able to take over). There is a limit to how much we should automate. I'm fine with automation, as long as I have an option to opt-out. When it's forced on me or the opt-out is buried so much, I need a machete to cut through the menus, windows, or pages to get there, that's where I draw the line.

I saved $2.03 on my electric bill last year by switching to nVIDIA! EAT THAT RADIOTARDS!

It's not about advertising, You already bought their product, or you'd not be using GFE. And you NEED TO OPT-IN when you create the account. So if you don't like free AAA games, don't click on that and just use the account for the automatic and secure pairing.

If you don't need that easy pairing for the GameStream services, you can use GFE without an account. Driver updates will be provided without an account. As I said, the wording in the article is unfortunate.

Smells like advertising to me.

As for the updates, if you read that article it mentions of course that Geforce experience is the perferred place Nvidia wants you to download their drivers from. If you kept reading it of course mentioned everything is seconday concern. So Windows update and or downloading it manually wont always give you the latest fixes. That is still a bit of problem as well. People that use Geforce experience will get updates first.

My suggestion is, let's leave Nvidia alone... With their track record for the last year, they will piss off their customers by themselves well enough... People, that are Nvidia fans will not change their minds until they are fucked... So yeah... If Nvidia changes their ways I may even reconsider my dislike towards them... Intel has won me over... Nvidia for the last year has done nothing to change my mind towards them... On the contrary... But people still like them... Time will tell...

1 Like