Gaming, on my Tesla, more likely than you think

Nice

Here is my contribution to the fan shroud mess.

Adapts 92mm pusher fan to the intake of the tesla.

I’m test printing it now to confirm fitment

Edit
Need to make a few fitment adjustments but it def works. You can tell its wasting alot of the airflow but im sure outside of a blower fan this is one of the better solutions.

5 Likes

So i tried Akarias’s exact install instructions with my RX 580 as my second adapter and it didn’t work.
“1. DDU everything from safe mode
2. Before going into regular windows AT ALL go back to safe mode (enable legacybootmenu in your BCD so you can get to the F5/F8 windows boot menu under windows 10). You should be running under a basic display driver.
3. Now that you are in safe mode, install the tesla driver. It should be under “Other Devices” I pointed device manager to the .inf file. (Run the installer, copy the folder from C:\NVidia)
4. Made my registry changes to the tesla entry NOW. While in safe mode. (Hybrid=1, delete adaptor type)
5. Booted to regular windows, installed my other GPU driver. Registry mod (Hyrid=2, for my 980)
6. Rebooted and checked to see that the tesla was available as the high power GPU in windows settings, if so ignore it and goto NVidia control panel and set it there. Also set the primary PhysX card too.”

I found when using DDU in safemode it’s easier to deal with it in a run>MSConfig than try to hit F8 during boot. I just set it to safemode with networking here and then remove it msconfig in safemode when i am ready to go back to standard.

registry looks as follows.

I am able to get the Tesla to show up as “power saving” if i switch it to hybrid to =2 and the 580 to hybrid=1. (EDIT: It also shows up like this if i have them BOTH set to EnableMsHybrid=2

so far haven’t found a combo that displays the tesla as “high performance” with my RX 580 as “power saving”

1 Like

I found something interesting as well.

Apparently there’s a build of windows 10 that had a dropdown for GPU selection.

I also noticed this program called Nvidia Profile Inspector had a power management mode section.

I was reading a thread on linus’s forum about a mining GPU registry hack.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1029382-hacking-nvidias-drivers/page/14/

1 Like

I don’t suppose you can make one for 80mm fans, please?

I’m in the exact same boat. Can’t get the K40 to show up as High Performance, but I can get the K40 to show up as Power Saving, and the AMD 380 as High Performance.

Also, when trying to set clocks using the command line, I get some errors:

1 Like

so i guess we’re left with about 4 different routes.

1: cop out get an APU/integrated graphics
2: figure out a way to get tesla into high power, and second dedicated AMD gpu into low power(perhaps something in installation/driver order).
3: modify low power to run as well as high power ?? just a random idea no idea if its viable.
4: test with tesla+nvidia gpu like Akarias. I have an nvidia gts 250(old 2x DVI gpu) and i will test with it today

2 Likes

Yeah, I see what you mean. Unfortunately I have an Nvidia GT 120 (rebranded 9500GT), and I haven’t been succesful in getting it to work yet. Let me know what you get out of it.

1 Like

Those are normal, move on to setting clock in after burner, then check your supported clocks and then actually set your clocks using the nvidia-smi -ac command

3 Likes

OK, many thanks, will give that a go when I get a fan adapter. One is on its way from a 3D printer. So far I don’t have active cooling on the card, haha. Living dangerously.

1 Like

As long as it’s idle for short periods of time should be fine just try and have some passive airflow over it from case fans

1 Like

I’ve got a fan behind it, where the power connectors are, but the full airflow isn’t directed inside the card.

Also, does anyone know what this port is for?

Seems to output 3.28 volts when I prodded it with my multimeter.

i googled it and it said it was as power cable of some sort. i assume for the server environment. it was actually really hard to look up.

here’s a picture of the sticker

2 Likes
3 Likes

Sure

I uploaded it to the thingiverse page. Should be there if it ever decides to update.

Thingiverse is slow:
k40 80mm pusher - Rev 2,1.STL (193.4 KB) k40 92mm pusher - Rev 2,1.STL (181.7 KB)

2 Likes

tried with the GTS 250 and my Asrock b450 pro4 motherboard wont even boot with it as a gpu for some reason. i dont have a new nvidia card so ill prob just grab an APU and be done with it.

2 Likes

Shame, probably something to do with the GTS 250 being old, and maybe not having the right firmware to support newer boards.

For my other PC which has an Asrock AB350 Pro4, I’ll probably keep my R5 1600 CPU and get a cheap NVIDIA GPU. Might need to do the same with my Threadripper CPU, as I can’t seem to be able to get it working with my AMD R9 380 GPU. I don’t think I have any other combinations left to try.

1 Like

GTS 250 likely doesn’t have a uefi compatible vbios

2 Likes

that makes sense. i stole a 3400g for 145 shipping included last night. so at least 1 of my tesla set ups is set with that APU

2 Likes

This will be the PLA selection for now

The red is semi translucent, these are cheaper filiments but since none of the parts are load bearing or artistic it should be fine

Feel free to mix and match colors for different designs and parts of designs

I’ll post what the colors look like printed out once I get a print of each

6 Likes

Quad core zen+ is perfectly suitable for what this GPU is capable of, I used it and a athlon 3000G for original testing

3 Likes