G3258 or X4 860k Budget mATX Build

yeah, MSI makes great boards for Intel, but they had some troubles with those 760-990 series AM3 boards.

Yeah I saw when I was searching that I would find a board with heatsinked VRM's and then it would have a 4pin CPU connector.

1 Like

Well, the minimum for motherboard on AM3+ side, i am comfortable recommending is Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P... 8+2 power phase design, 8 pin CPU power, front USB3 (that many 970 boards don't have), feature full, having lots of expansion slots, USBs and SATA3s... But this is full ATX board... mATX for AM3+ is non existent for me...
Still, for gaming i would go i5 over 8 core AMD... For productivity - 8 core hands down...

actually, the i5 4690k is about the same as the 8320 when at the same clock speeds as far as multithreaded performance goes. (cinebench)

Yeah, but we are not talking about 4690K, do we? We are comparing 8350 to 4460... And then the things are a bit different... Otherwise, yes, they are... But 4690K is kind of more expensive... Yeah, you can overclock, but that just adds to the price for decent motherboard, otherwise you can stick with cheap H97 one...

1 Like

Anyone else find it crazy how this a question about 2/3 parts turned into pretty much a flame war and going way off topic about Intel vs AMD, its sad to see this on teksyn...

I wouldn't call it a flame war, I think there's been calm, calculated reasoning. I've actually found all of it helpful, everyone's bringing up good points about both brands as well as offering their own opinions on things.

Wow this thread is gotten way more complicated than it needed to. Obviously some people didnt read the op and are mentioning a lot of games that arnt on Linux.To keep it simple. The games that are available on steam for Linux will run great with a G3258 and a R9 380 at 1080p.

Stick with Intel for now cause it offers a upgrade path. The AMD 860k even though its a quad thread cpu its most likely the best its gonna get on a fm2+ socket so no real upgrade path.

I recommend the 380 over the 960 becuase the 380 is slightly better bang for the buck and will handle 1080p gaming very well.

I'm not a fan boy of any kind I've built machines with all these parts in the last year and have done the research. The g3258 will serve you well till you can upgrade to an i5.

Watered down war

Well, it's not a war, we just went on a slight rant... Still, I hope I was civilized... I have a tendency to look like a tw@ even if that is not my intention, and it never is, actually...

1 Like

The guy said "strictly Linux Mint" and "definitely be overclocking". Nvidea drivers update very easy in mint and AMD has improved Linux allot. Also Phronix shows the open source drivers are catching up to the proprietary ones. Win 10 I would go with AMD in a heartbeat. With Mint even my old gt 520 got a new updated driver in Mint a few months ago and worked great. Catalyst in Mint has gotten much better but not nearly as good as Nvidea.