G3258 or X4 860k Budget mATX Build

That's really really good... Just add an SSD and we are done...

Honestly you wouldn't have to bottom out for a box. If you went FX you would have a few years of use and it isn't like you couldn't get a 380/90. I've seen good push from 860K's though, so they are definitely worth looking over.

Also, the bullshit over "you need an i5 to be cool" is stupid. Buying intel, in my opinion, is kind of a jump-on-the-boat-now-you're-cool kind of thing. They're expensive and honestly for a few years old parts the prices haven't dropped significantly enough to consider it in a 600 buck build. FX or something around that workframe is going to do better. If you're some freak who gets irrationally bothered by 7 milliseconds of load time then good for you, but too much money on a cpu is stupid.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/m6wJLk

As long as overclocking isn't a big concern and you can get another 20 bucks that's pretty good. Despite what people say about MSI, never heard too much bad about that board and nothing bad about the GPU either.

I kind of disagree with you...
I5 in gaming is basically all you need... It will carry 980Ti or FuryX no problem... 8350 kind of can't...
Now 860 is for people like me, that can live without ultra hyper settings with ball swinging physics and realistic butt hair... I can live without those, so I am running all games I want on 700$ system from 2 years ago, that still runs everything.
Is i5 better? Yes. Do you really need i5 to play games at good framerate and everything - no you don't... 860k or 6300 are great and pushing for more by slicing other parts is pointless...

2 Likes

yes ok whatever sigh i'd love to say AMD cpu's are good for gameing these days i have had lots of amd set ups the thing is thay are now 5 years behind the times antill new cpu's come late next year but atlest there gpu's are still good value.

Test of CPU for Gaming : 30 CPUs compared

1 Like

Yeah. A new i5 would be better. But like you said, you don't need the biggest. To me, if the 8350 was best for all sorts of things only 2 years ago last month, that's not too far down now.

So, 7850K, being 860k with integrated gpu, is 77%, while 4460 is 93%... You are saying 15% difference is worth double the price?
This is why Intel is as big as it is... Because almost every AMD product is better price to performance, compared to Intel or Nvidia... But people don't care... They go for 15% better for double the price...

Somewhat missing the point the AMD chip runs like molten lava with a stock heatsink so you then need a heatsink but then you need a mobo with good vrm cooling and heatsinks after adding a tower cooling unit (being the cheapest option) so after buying a mobo that whont melt with a aftermarket cpu cooling unit you are spending the same or more than just buying a low end i5 and a fairly cheap motherboard for lower performance, lower single core perfomance on a dead end socket (1150 has allso been ended but you can still upgrade to faster cpu's on it)

You missed my entire point, but fine...
4770k is totally not reaching triple digits in temperature and 8320e is totally not an 8 core with 95W TDP...
But whatever... Who drove amd to this point - the consumer, who spent double the price for 15% performance...
I'm going to stop now...

I never sead anything about the 8320e but let this sink in its not a 95w (tdp) cpu its a failed 125w (tdp) gimped FX8320 that needs overclocking back up to FX8320/50 clocks to even be viable pushing its tdp up to 125w+ that allso needs a dam good motherboard and heatsink.

May we not argue about this in this topic? Being 8 core 95w TDP on 32nm is kind of engineering achievement... But whatever...

lol but its not 95w tdp i can undervolt a 9590 for 95w's of dissipation because all of these mentioned cpus are the same cpu.

1 Like

Then how much is it? TDP that is?
Why does it work at 70$ mobo? Why does it work with stock heatsink?
I really don't get your point here, and I really want to stop this here...

I don't have much to add to what has been said but here is a Linux benchmark using Valley on an 860k with a GTX 960.

The 860K was at 3.7GHz but with the turbo mode boosted to 4.5GHz instead of the usual 4GHz.

Bioshock, Metro 2033, anything on steam engine, X-Plane X etc are all quite payable on it.

In terms of CPU benchmarks head over to Geekbench, this system has some of the highest scores on there for an 860K.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?dir=desc&q=860K&sort=score

Thanks for all the responses guys, I've come to the conclusion that the "smartest" thing to do would be to just get a locked i5 with a z97 board to offer an upgrade path to a 4770k or something in the future.

Also, I think a r9 290 is probably the best FPS per dollar card out right now, especially if I snag a second hand card. Anyone have thoughts on that point? I'm not as concerned about drivers after doing some more research. Apparently it's pretty shitty either way you go, but drivers are improving quickly especially with the new steam machines coming out.

It's really difficult finding quality mATX boards for AMD it seems. 95% of them don't have heatsinked VRM's, which would be a must since I would OC. Going intel gives me more reliable boards simply because of onboard CPU VRM.

1 Like

290 is currently the best price to performance gpu... Or one of the best, but still, pretty high up there...
My advice on that:
Gigabyte Windforce (triple fan), Sapphire Vaporx (or TriX), MSI Lightning... I know what i said about MSI, but Lightning is their highest end GPUs and they are pretty good...
i5 will gove you a bit of performance increase... Just get an SSD with that... I noticed there was a missing SSD build... Get an SSD...

Yeah I'm definitely getting an SSD, running the OS off of those spinny disk things is just foolish with the price of SSD's now.

For storage, and even gaming, they are just fine... But for OS or productivity software - NO... no no no... no...

It doesn't work well with certain cheap motherboards, (and even some expensive ones) because of VRM throttling. it's a pretty common issue on the AM3+ platform, especially on MSI boards.

And Asrock...
This is part of the reason Gigabyte is my GoTo brand for motherboards... Asus are really really good, but they are overpriced like sh... in my country...

1 Like

mATX AMD boards are pretty rare on the AM3 side. another thing to watch for if you're looking to build an AM3+ system is not only heatsinked VRMs, but also how many power phases the mobo has. generally for an 8 core you want at least a 6+2 or 8+2 power design.