Free as in Free Time

I actually agree, I hate macros and how easy they are to break, but I’m stuck using them.

Yesterday I had a coworker get pissy with me where it turns out her own macro was the problem.

tfw u reply with 6 words to a couple paragraphs.

the irony that the word lazy was used but you didnt even bother to quote what part you were referring to so we’re all ignorant.

5 Likes

Shirley, SHIRLEY he’s not saying users of a proprietary operating system are ignorant and lazy.

Just fucking lmao if so.

2 Likes

I hate to be the big brained chad centrist here but… Why not just enjoy both and not be autistic about one or the other?

4 Likes

follow your dreams, thats what I do.

Good … dont let your dreams be dreams

All I care about is if source is available because it is a scientific way of doing things.

I don’t care about cost one way or the other. The ethics don’t matter because it is 1s and 0s.

@georgezilla

But to expect someone to fully know how their computer works is silly and shows how out of touch some people are.

Do you know how every facet of your car works?

AC?

Electrical?

Plumbing?

Medicine?

Media you consume?

This list can keep going.

The civilized world wouldn’t function if you had to know how everything worked. That was called the Neolithic Age.

5 Likes

Are you calling me out? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If you want sure. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I love open source have some code in a couple of projects. But to think the next door normie cares about the white space or line count in their web browser code is loony.

1 Like

If you dont run open source on your ecu then dont even talk to me.

1 Like

FOSS is like Dark Souls the users just say Git Gud scrub

3 Likes

I just try my best to get foss. I’m only human.

Mfw I agree with rossman.

4 Likes

I’d imagine the vast majority of us here were children the first time we sat down at a computer. We weren’t instantly proficient at any aspect of using it. It takes time to learn anything complicated. Given that the majority of desktop computers were/are running Windows, it would be the default OS that most people have experience using and most desktop machines are sold with it.

As a thought experiment, flip things around. Imagine as a child the first computer you used was Linux. The majority of computers you come across and see for sale run Linux. Most people developing software are doing it for Linux in this fictitious scenario.

Sure there are still Macs and their following, but they nor anyone else manage to unseat the first one to reach that tipping point where it became the default option. It’s kind of like the smartphone scene with Android; Even Microsoft couldn’t break in because they were too late.

Trying to learn a new system that has little to none of the same software you now use regularly as an adult is an uphill battle. Time most certainly was spent to learn whatever it is that you use today, but if you did it as a child then you probably didn’t look at it as ‘time = money’.

Just look at some of the old blog post from the Raspberry Pi foundation where there are elementary school age kids better at programming than many people here. Imagine what your life would be like if you had all of the resources to learn what you learned much later in life - all lined up, organized, and a decade ahead of you to take it all in.

And yes, I do know how every facet of my car works, including the AC. Went to school for electrical, can manage basic to intermediate plumbing, don’t take medicine, and listen to enough podcasts about making podcasts and YouTube videos to know a good bit about the content that I consume. I’m the exception that loves learning things and puts no dollar value on my time. I can’t imagine being in the position that most people around me have to endure, and I’m sure they feel the same when looking at me, as well they should.

At least I am aware of this divide and don’t push people towards Linux if they weren’t already looking. Freedom means having the freedom to take your freedom and shove it directly in the trash and light it on fire. As long as you don’t throw the rights of anyone else in along with it then it’s none of my business.

1 Like

I mean, megasquirt is open sauce.

2 Likes

I actually have some games that work on my mac (via WINE or Dosbox) that didn’t/don’t work properly on Windows 10.

They’re windows games.

But yes, use what works. The only caveat i’d mention is that some people value their privacy and control more than others. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa.

1 Like

I see where you’re coming from, but I’d like to propose an alternative conclusion.

So long as there is an open source option, the freedom (of Stallman fame) is still there assuming you are free to start using that tool whenever. It’s because of the choice that gives you the freedom.

I definitely agree with the “to each their own” model though.

The Freedom to choose non free software exists and everyone has a right to excercise it.

You just need to acknowledge it’s a negative freedom, and one that may not be in your personal interests.

RMS and the FSF masses make it very clear they do not claim that free software equals better quality software - that’s just an additional benefit when true.

Most Open Source evangelist claim Open Source produces better quality software (ESR and all bugs are shallow etc.), but then we’ve seen that most Open Source software user’s don’t review code or contribute back to the projects and wonder why shit like heartbleed happens…

Then finally there are the Linux fanbois - whose only goal is to get everyone onto their favourite distro. No irony that Non free software like steam, freeoffice and whatever else is included - it’s not really about freedom or open source - it’s just better because it’s not MS.

Hopefully I’ve offended everyone :joy:

1 Like

What games? GFWL?

For me personally, it depends.
I value free Software (in all the possible meanings of free). For my personal use, i’m willing to invest my time to get it to work. But it has to work. If it doesn’t it isn’t worth a damn.
There are things i’d like to do, and i could skip. But there are certain things i want to do. If i can make it work FOSS, i’m happy to invest some time. If i can’t i’ll use proprietary.

At work, i’ll use what ever 1. my employer provides/wants and 2. lets me do my job with the least amount of administrative overhead. Atm this means Windows plus the whole proprietary 365 Stack. If i can do the same in the same amount of time on Linux, i’m ready to switch. The past 2 years, Linux has cost me more time than my Boss is comfortable with, so Window it is…

2 Likes