Free as in Free Time

Old one but a good one.

I’ve always been baffled by people who try to make the argument that your freedoms aren’t respected if you use any proprietary software, for whatever reasons. For those who do, would you rather spend much more time maintaining your system rather than accept some aspect of proprietary software?

For me, I’d rather increase my productivity in most cases, so I’m okay with whatever software does the job best.

I know this is going to be a shitshow, so I’ll say it here: Keep it civil or I’ll come out swinging.

8 Likes

Productivity is king.

4 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately there are always little issues if you’re not running an environment that exactly matches the expected configuration.

1 Like

Use whatever works is my motto along with not my computer, not my problem.

If it happens fo be FOSS, cool. If it’s proprietary, cool.

3 Likes

This is why when I use linux I have taken to fedora.

Its still not great, but as far as linux goes… It gets out of my way the most. I would probably spend more time in linux if I didnt have to jump through hoops to get the games that I play to work.

Then theres the fact that I’m not as quick as I use to be at retaining information. If I dont do it all the time then it doesnt last long in my head. I have far too much other shit to think about.

3 Likes

ChromeOS has become my favorite distro because of this.

2 Likes

Same reason why I install Ubuntu if I want Linux distro “that just works” out of the box.

Plus there’s lots of tutorials for Ubuntu, which saves time when trouble shooting.

4 Likes

I used to be in the ubuntu camp but I felt like more and more I was running into issues with it. Also a lot of old tutorials are out there that arent accurate in modern versions. It seemed to get in my way more.

Plus in fedora most of the ubuntu tutorials work too. Just switch apt for dnf and off you go.

These days I use the superior windows 10 distro. Its kind of a mix of rolling release and upgrade versions. It has one feature I like the most. It plays all my games.

3 Likes

It also has Office support!

1 Like

not using superior google docs because you dont even have to waste the time installing it.

3 Likes

I will abandon this Ubuntu ship once I face enough problems, but so far I haven’t encountered any major problems. Might try Fedora at some point, just for the lulz.

currently using Manjaro

Reason why I still dual boot. I like to tinker with linux and try to get games to work, but if it gets too complicated I just bail.

And I know dual booting isn’t the best scenario but it’s not the worst life choice I’ve made. :smile:

even that is too complicated for my liking most of the time. I have separate machines for linux fuckery.

He makes some really great points that, unfortunately, stand the test of time as far as Linux and FOSS is concerned.

I’ll pile in in saying that I laugh my ass off, hell, I’ll even roll on the floor laughing my ass off when these little FOSS enthusiasts, with their smug elitism are using a Fucking (capital F) Apple computer to do their free and open source software development. As if, somehow, someone using a Microsoft product can’t contribute to FOSS just like they are on their proprietary computer.

It’s not even a double standard, it’s being so unhinged from reality that they can’t see, smell, or feel the shit they’re standing in. The free user echos the rhetoric of “legacy software” and “bleeding edge”, while ignoring or just being ignorant of the bugs in their free system have existed since the late 90s or early 2000s. They bitch about the complexity of a proprietary operating system, whilst ignoring the fact that the OG of the Linux kernel has admitted, several times, that he doesn’t even know what it does or what’s in it anymore.

The talk about ethics, morality, and principles just comes off as a shallow, sheltered life that’s so spoiled and entitled that the thought of paying for music, software, or comic books offends them.

6 Likes

This is what I’m looking for.

Soon™

1 Like

Macros

My popcorn tastes salty now.

2 Likes

Lol I shouldn’t have browsed the comments. Just proving his point.

1 Like

macros are for people who should be using another format of data and method of interacting with it

but thats just my opinion

1 Like

As opposed to ignorant and lazy?

To whom are you in reference to?