For my 35th Birthday, I flew to Singapore

Hi all -

Thought I’d take you along on my epic-Birthday holiday. At the time I had to leave behind a care-package from @wendell, shipped over via a buddy in Fort Mill, SC - was thrilled to get my L1 tees, and I’ve yet to unbox the DisplayPort KVM…

Weirdly, DHL decides to drop off a new Mobo for my 7920X build…

Feeling all warm and fuzzy, I went out in Colombo to get some bubbly…

I booked a Jaguar XF and Volvo CX90 to the airport. Loved the Jag, very spacious and accommodated my belleh quite nicely.

Got to enjoy some Zelda on the flight into Singapore - again due to my Belleh, I always fly Business class (can’t complain, the champagne is better and they stock decent XO cognac)…

Special moment landing at Changi T2

I’ve been travelling at least twice or thrice a year since 3months of age to Singapore so it a very dear place to me.

Selfie in the galley, sporting my haiku L1 tux…

Spent the morning at the Patek Philippe service centre - picking up my Annual Calendar after it’s first 5-year service. A fair bit of coding from 2009-2012 and a bit of elbow grease and it was a personal challenge to acquire this for my 30th Birthday.

I raided the Duty-free on arrival… grabbed some special stuff. Anyone remember Lost in Translation’s “Suntory Time”? Well, that’s why I got a Hibiki. Hennessy XO and a 2008 vintage Moet Chandon Rose as well.

Our digs for the stay was a penthouse suite at the 26th floor… (my usual)

Pretty much had Moet on “tap” courtesy of the hotel… (for my B-day…) haha…

I had our chauffeur arrange an S-Class for our running about whilst Shopping/Dining etc. (That’s Mum on the right…)

My 35th Birthday dinner was at CUT by Wolfgang Puck. We had the Wagyu Sirloin (top right). These would just melt at the table so I couldn’t take proper shots…

A special Chateauneuf du Pape

Darling Mum having a great time…

…and that was a pretty amazing medium-rare steak for sure.

Giving Mum royal-service…

Was practically passing out on the ride to the hotel… Those “First class” seats are really quite something.

Memorable wrist-shot (we watch collectors (WIS) do this as a thing… hard to explain)…

…and off to bed - we had arrived in Singapore at 8am, and now it was time to go sleep…

13 Likes

Oh loving the L1 techs desk mat. Makes my workstation area so much more comfy… Thanks @wendell!!

We need one with more Trekky stuff on it, as an alternative to the HDD mat. that would be cool for sure :wink:

1 Like

Happy birthday mate, seems like you had a really good time.

How’d you like the S Class? Always wanted one.

1 Like

Careful, medium-rare straddles the line of “forgivable.” Looks like fun, and some good quality time with ya mum.

1 Like

Hey mate - yeah it was fantastic!!

Same here - sorta; a while back I leased a Bimmer 5-series (2014 facelift); had it for over 2+ years. Got it “new” from the dealers and enjoyed it quite well.

What was remarkable about that was the driving experience, and since I grew up on stick-shift (an old, awesome Toyota Corolla - most tech it had was teh quartz clock), that’s pretty important to me.

Recently I had local agents send an S-350 over for a test drive and I was blown away by how very little connection I had to the car; it felt like I want steering a blunderbus (Sorta!) and was driving on clouds or pillows.

TL;DR it’s a great ride to be driven in, but not one to drive. And as someone who’s generally hands-on I’d rather go with a Bimmer X5 etc.

The other hurdle is the 500% luxury tax in Sri Lanka – no way I’m buying any of these fancy wheels anytime soon. I may end up leasing something in the future.

That said, the “First class” seats are top-notch; although these didn’t have the hot-stone massage.

1 Like

Always medium-rare, if the chef knows what he’s doing. Cause it has to be served right at the table. Wee be over and it’s medium before it hits the table.

Or, the opposite as you said, under-cooked.

Was the best, I owe her everything and so much more so was thrilled to treat her this way on my special day.

Happy birthday mate.
Changi is by far the best airport in the world, it’s the only airport where I can say I enjoy spending time. Good to see you’re treating your mom well, looks like you had a good time. What country are you from?

Extra kudos for bringing mum!

1 Like

Why is your mom copyrighted by some Da Silva guy?

Does the hotel have its own photography people, that guests can go to to have their trip professionally photographed?

&& Happy Birthday! It looked fun.

Awesome! Always happy to see tech guys get out of the house/office. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, that’s the feeling I get from how they market the car.

I have a 2013 E class, it’s much more connected to the road, ride is a bit stiff, but that’s okay, because Mercedes Coupes are designed for one thing: going sideways around corners followed by a huge cloud of tire smoke.

Are you serious? That’s insane.

haha, I was blown away last year when A friend bought a used A8L. Thing had reclining rear seats and they all had a massaging feature. Things you wouldn’t think you need in a car for 500, please.

1 Like

You brought your mom on a birthday trip? lol come on breh.

When you mature to the mental age of 25, you start to appreciate your parents again.

4 Likes

I will add that: You don’t know what you’ve lost 'till you’ve lost it.

3 Likes

not for a birthday. unless its at their house.

Also, was that a sleight on my mental age? lol

1 Like

Just having some fun.

My point is the he had a milestone birthday and decided to spend it with the people important to him. Not everyone likes to celebrate the same way. The important thing is that he had a good time (and it sure does seem like he did) and that no one got arrested after doing Jaeger bombs on the roof of a hotel.

2 Likes

That’s because he didn’t even try :stuck_out_tongue:

It does seem like OP had a great time, wish I could go on trips like that but atm I’m poor people.

2 Likes

here’s a link to my patreon, if you like my shitposts, feel free to support me!

Something like this isn’t a bad idea if you’re strapped for cash.

Happy Birthday man. That is awesome that you treated you mom as well. Spend the time that you can while they are still here on this earth. Once they are gone you start to realize all of the missed opportunities.

1 Like

I’m from Sri Lanka mate!! Live (now) in Colombo.

Agreed - I lost my Dad in 2002 and it took a huge toll on me (we were very close!, renal failure), still dealing with it (honestly, I don’t think it’s one of those things that goes away, and I don’t want it to either).

Having turned 35, and with some help from the protagonist in “Wind River”, it’s important to work through that pain to remember the happier memories. So damn true.

2 Likes