Fishing for Features: Thinking of making my own phone rom

Please actually vote in my polls. This thread is my gateway into the dev space and I need as much data as I can get. There aren’t many of them, and it will take exactly 73 seconds of your time. Thank you.

I’m no coder, developer, or anything of the sort. But I do consider myself a low tier hacker, and someone who can come up with ideas and try to act on them.

The last few weeks I’ve had many ideas about what I’d like to see in a mobile OS. What features, base, everything. But now I have some ideas and I want to act on them, however I don’t have anyone to really ask. Thats where you come in reader.

Take a moment to answer some of these poll’s, and if you have more ideas I’d be ecstatic to know them. But heres a list of things I need answers for.

What should the Phone OS be based on?

• A pre-existing rom / rom continuation (pacman rom)
  • A fresh android base (AOSP)
  • Ubuntu Touch

0 voters

Should there be a “De-Googled” rom with FOSS alternatives to android’s built in tools, should the rom end up on an android base? Examples being: Mycroft instead of Google Assistant, Aurora Store instead of the playstore, F-Droid pre-packed, etc.

• Yae
  • Gae

0 voters

Should the rom be UBT based, would those features still be appealing? (Mycroft, etc)

• Yae
  • Gae

0 voters

Which would appeal to you more?

• Experimental new features (risk v reward)
  • Reliable, but locked down, methods (safe)

0 voters

If a device has AB partition support, would you want a built in “OS Backup” method to clone part A to part B?

• Yae
  • Gae

0 voters

If there was an ability to use something like Etcher or DD on a mobile phone via C to A / micro to A adapter, would you use it?

• Yae
  • Gae

0 voters

Do you use AI / assistants currently?

• Yae (Comment your uses pls)
  • Gae

0 voters

Is privacy a concern to you? As in, realistically, not tinfoil hat the governments after my testes to make me a female privacy.

• Yae
  • Ultra Gae

0 voters

Would you want software switches to completely disable hardware? (IE full off bluetooth / gps / wifi, rather than just sleeping them or putting in low power)

• Yae
  • Gae

0 voters

What is a better vegetable?

• Turnips
  • Onions
  • Aremis

0 voters

I have many more questions for polls, but I’ll leave those for later.

If you have an interest in this, please list what device you have below. I’m looking at creating an enthusiast level rom for people like me who set up their phones to basically be a laptop, not just another phone rom that lets you change the fonts as the main feature.

Also let me know what features you currently like in your phone, want in your phone, or what you think would be a good idea. I don’t have any express features other than full power down of the modems, mycroft built in, and whatever else is listed here.

Thanks!

There are more polls below. This first post is general data, with below polls being more specific. If you only answer this post, it is still extremely helpful. Thank you for your time.

2 Likes

I have a spare HTC M10 and a spare HTC U11+

1 Like

OnePlus 2 here. But the software’s pretty good, so I’m not sure about needing a new ROM. Just would like to have it rooted (access to iptables) and not break the binary blob for sensors. Not terribly important, probably out of scope for you too.

1 Like

Don’t doubt me its unhealthy and very dangerous.

Hmmm, no ubuntu touch love. Not a speck. Wonder why?

Also, I should note that the ab part backup is probably on the experimental feature list, though its interesting to see that people like the idea. Other experimental features are of similar value, however.

Interesting.

I am still leaning on ubu touch though. And I’ll have to dig through each os to see which would locistically be better.

Feature wise, ubu touch being more like actual ubuntu (terminal, apt, android compatibility layer, etc), and android being android, which would be more appealing?

• Ubuntu Touch (desktop similarities)
  • Android (Mostly just phone stuff)

0 voters

The DD feature I find interesting as well. I’d even count that as experimental.

Very interesting indeed.

Continue!!

Edit: alright new question

• Rolling, but somewhat stable, release
  • Staged, bi-monthly updates

0 voters

If you could run VM’s on your phone reliably, should the processor support it, would you want a pre-packed client?

• Yae
  • Gae

0 voters

Mould this vm client be better as a blob, or more open and accessible like qemu or something?

• Blob (pre-built app not made by me)
  • Qemu

0 voters

What DE do you use on desktop? Please respond below.

I use Gnome3.

1 Like

Play store / App store wise, which of these clients interests you for general daily use?

• Play Store
  • Aurora Store (external PS client)
  • Aptoide (APT but for android apps, with all APT features)

0 voters

If Aptoide were selected, would you want a locked down version that only has approved apps posted, much similar to how elementaryOS regulates their app store?

• Yae
  • Gae

0 voters

(This is suggested as anyone can post an aptoide repo to the official aptoide client, and as such malicious software has been known to go through, but only temporarily).

damn I was fast in that last poll

Come code with us boi!

There’s so much to do for the RISC community (which I’m not doing yet cause in my country it’s really hard to get something RISC that is not a smartphone)

Fresh Android Base

Yes, but viable, functional alternatives (see below).

I don’t know what this is so I didn’t vote.

Reliable, but locked down methods. I don’t use nearly the number of features as most people. But I like GPS, I like the phone, and I like having a central repo to pick my applications. However, I expect these applications to work when I open them. There are a reason people like the iPhone and Android garbage, because it’s garbage that works.

Yes

Yes.

No.

Yes.

YES

Onions

If you get the ball rolling on this and need or want help, let me know. I’ve been wanting to get into embedded systems and I’m alright at Java (which I’m assuming Android is still built in?).

Thank you for a text response, though I appreciate that the polls can corroberate data to what I think a general / enthusiast market would want.

Ubuntu Touch. Mycroft is an open source ai / assistant that I have come to enjoy working with. As an alternative to google or bixby, I think it is rather strong. On top of thoughts of a client where the user can make their own AI skills to easily make mycroft more suitable for the user.

Get a powermac / book

1 Like

I still voted in the poll, but thought a direct response would be useful as well.

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate it.

1 Like

would be neat but they’re not easy to find in Brazil

might try to import some pinebook pro goodness eventually

I can look around. If I find something good want me to send it? (Continue in PM)

Lately, KDE

1 Like

Have you interacted with KDE mobile at all?

Not yet. Waiting on Librem

What do you forsee as positives and negatives of it?

Do you see anything good in other DE’s on mobile? (EX Gnome 3, Deepin DE [what I’m looking at specifically], custom choice[?])

What sort of functionality are you looking to change?

they fucked up with the LTE chip… ONLY supports AT&T and a couple bands of AT&T only…

If they didnt solder the chip and instead used MPCIE etc… maybe I could switch out the LTE chip for a better engineered one with linux kernel support