First Custom Loop

I am trying to determine how much tubing (soft) I will need for this, and what fittings. The gpu will be mounted vertically. Any help is most welcome.

Build Specs:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SilentKagemusha/saved/wxbZf7

about tree fiddy

but really I did my build in the normal O11 Dynamic and I used about 4 ft of hard line tube. I have an extra 240 rad though… and Id recommend another for you too. A single 360 to cool that 3900x and 2080 will be enough, but not necessarily silent. You might not have as much headroom as you think.

I have a 3900x and 2080ti for reference.

1 Like

Get one of those tailors tapes and start laying the build out in your head… You’ll get an idea for what you need.

2 Likes

I am running two 360mm rads in the final build. :smiley: I am thinking pull in from the top rad, push out from the bottom, and an exhaust fan on the back, but I am not certain if I will even need the exhaust fan.

That sounds like a good plan to me.

I would not do the exhaust personally because I like having a greater number of intake than exhaust to keep dust down long term. Just my opinion.

3 Likes

Alphacool makes better radiators as the cores are copper, but if you’re gonna get EK radiators avoid the classic series they have really bad corrosion issues

Also EK angled adapters have high likelyhood of leaking from the rotary joint avoid at all costs.

That and apparently pushing hot air through your rads can make a large difference in temps (if you intake with one and exhaust with the other, you’ll pull the hot air from the first rad through the second). I’ll probably be forced to do that once I get dual rads because of case limitations (Enthoo Evolv TG), but if you can then avoid doing so.

As for tubing, 6 feet or so will likely give you plenty of excess for if you make bad cuts, 8 feet if you’re worried, will probably use around 4 or so like Adubs said.

Also very good choice of coolant, I’ve been contemplating possibly moving away from EK-ZMT to clear, so I can run purple coolant. Purple = very good, if not the best color. :+1:

Oh dang, didn’t know that about the EK rads. +1 for Alphacool, they make really good stuff by all accounts. And for slim (30mm thick) rads, the HardwareLabs GTS line is excellent.

mine have been fine

:man_shrugging:

I’m running their coolant in clear and added nothing. so far so good.

They don’t corrode in the loop they come pre fucked up with cupric acetate all over the insides its why we stopped selling them.

I inspected mine prior to install and they seemed ok but I’m not sure how I’d know for sure. Flow seems great.

How long ago did you get it? Are you sure its a classic?

beginning of july

We used to sell them regularly about a year ago but stopped because they kept arriving in garbage shape. I requested a new sample direct from EK a month ago and it was trashed it was literally green inside.

I have my own complaints about EK but the rads wasnt one of them. The velocity block for AM4 was not as flat as I was expecting it to be.

My only suggestions would be:

• soft tubing is cheap
  • ordering “not enough” will be massively annoying to discover mid-build
  • ordering “plenty” may allow you to play with a couple of different layouts and reconfigure your runs if you make a mistake or want to set it up differently - which may be a thing if its your first build.

Personally if it was me, doing my first custom loop i’d order 2-3 metres of the stuff (6-9 feet) to have some left over for the above reasons. Because i always end up making mistakes and murphy says if i attempt to order precise measurements i’ll order about one inch not enough and be stretching stuff to fit then being unhappy with it for months :smiley:

2 Likes

This may be a newb question, but I intend to use my Corsair Commander Pro to control all six fans for the two rads. How to I get the computer to not scream at me that there is no fan on the cpu fan header? Also what does everyone think about doing a pull configuration on both of the rads and a single 120mm fan on the back for exhaust? I could also do a complete push configuration with/without the exhaust on the back. I am just concerned about cooling the MB, and want some airflow for that purpose. Also, barbed/push-in? Does diameter of tubing matter? Quick disconnect for drain port?

Just turn off monitoring of the CPU fan header… or run the pump demand from it… or run your extra exhaust fan from it since you plan on using 7 fans then.

My setup is intake only except for that one bottom fan because the mesh wont fit over the bottom.

Not sure what you mean here. You want some kind of compression over a barb. Barbed fittings will still require clips and compression fittings have barbs essentially.

Tube diameter doesnt really matter. It does in the sense that smaller tubing will have more restriction and therefore more head on the pump but as long as you dont dead head it doesnt matter and I doubt you’ll dead head a D5.

It doesnt matter in the sense that more flow is not going to change your delta so your loop is only going to dissipate what your radiators can dissipate. You dont really care what your flow is as long as its >0.

you can get a tee and put in a ball valve. I would recommend 2. One at the high point in the system and one at the low point. It will help with draining by allowing you to get air in through the top where you would otherwise air lock.

1 Like

push-in fittings: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/fittings/push-in-hd

Those are for hard line, you cant use them on soft tube.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification. Also, sick build, much props! :smiley:

1 Like