First build, what's the damage?

NOTE: This build is primarily a budget build and is built for scalability in the future. To answer any pre-emptive questions:

• There is no investment in a water-cooling system currently, may consider a closed loop in the future

• The build will have gaming in mind as well as be used as a mostly main rig (laptop hard drive is taking a shit on me)

• I am considering either dual-booting/running another OS on another drive (hopefully SecureBoot/UEFI hasn't doubled down on OS authentication)

• I do not currently have a keyboard of my own nor a copy of a WinOS nor a monitor which will explain the build list is the way it is

• Trying to save as much as possible to individually upgrade hardware components over time.

With that being said I've compiled the list here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vdHdgL

Any recommendations/criticisms are fine, just trying to get something going untill AMD releases their new products and HOPEFULLY market prices will fluctuate in my favor since I actually really want a 1070, the 7700, 16GB RAM and a 1440p monitor to be able to sit on for a while (read: 5-ish years)

Just as a special note I've been racking my brains on this for weeks ranging from the 6500, whether or not to get the 1060 6GB, so on so forth and may consider getting a 550w PSU if I can get enough overhead to not worry about working the power supply

1 Like

The system as it is will eat way less than 400W. Any decent 500-550w will be an overkill.
RX470 is less than 170$ and is way more powerful than 1050Ti...
If the goal is just to get through for a month for Ryzen, then get a cheapest H110 board you can find and the cheapest pentium you can find...

Ok... for starters:

1. In the most recent benchmarks a 480 outperforms the 1060 in the dx11 titles it was on par with at launch, and looking to the future you will notice that the 480 is the clear winner in the new APIs like dx12 and Vulkan. So I'd go with a 480 over the 1060 any day. But, since this is for upgrades down the road I'd take a look at what Vega has to offer, they should offer some great competition for the 1070.

2. There is no need for a mechanical keyboard at this price point. Just get any old keyboard and it will serve its purpose until you have the financial means to upgrade to a mechanical. You can then reallocate those funds to a better component int he system which will have a much more significant impact on your enjoyment of games/etc as you'll be able to play them at higher settings and be able to play more demanding games.

3. With the money saved on the keyboard I'd go with an i3 at least. Or if you don't mind going older gen go with any i5 and compatible motherboard/ram from sandy bridge (the chips starting with a 2xxx) to more recent as there's very little gaming difference between those and the current gen parts (thanks intel...). The main reason to go with newer parts is peripheral connectivity such as m.2 support but since you're on such a budget there's no reason to be worrying about that at this point.

4. At this level of budget you can go with an H chipset to save a little more cash and possibly get up to the 480 territory off the bat which is an incredible card that can handle any game at 1080p with ease.

Now... many people may rip you a new one for not putting in an SSD... Yes you'll see a slight boot time improvement and the programs on it will take less time to load giving your system an all around snappier feel... But if you're maximizing price/performance and if you can live with HDD speeds (like myself... seriously... my work rig only takes 20 or so seconds to boot from total shut down) then there's not really any reason to get one. You can allocate those funds towards better performing parts.

Edit:
In regards to peripheral upgrades... Mouse is much more important than keyboard for gaming. I'd venture to say a keyboard doesn't matter at all for gaming as you're just hitting a few select keys, for typing a keyboard upgrade is a godsend for some people (I love my scissor switches on the k740) but for gaming it just doesn't matter.

1 Like

To be frank I wanted to go with a little bit overkill because I am looking to upgrade the system in the future and I din't want to pull punches regarding a PSU honestly. In regards to the cards though with the 20-30 dollar difference how much of a percentage are we talking when it comes to performance relating to said cards? And with the boards are there any REAL differences with the B and H series besides the Bs being more business oriented?

Well, I would say 20-25% depending on the game...

If you decide not to select an SSD, get a cheap ( but not used or anything like that ) spinning HDD and short stroke it.

SSD's can be had for pretty cheap now tho.

1.) I was to be honest still kind of wondering if the 470/480 was still stable with its' power consumption after AMD sending out a patch to fix the issue. Admittedly there was a relative issue with Nvidia's stronger cards (which were also fixed if I'm correct?) but originally my thought regarding the 1060 was because more games are requiring closer to 4GBs VRAM and I'm one to err on the side of caution as to not push hardware to its limits. I'm excited to see where we go in the next 2-3 months so hopefully we'll get to see AMD and its competitors butt heads which means a win-win for us.

2/3.) With the keyboard it's more of a personal preference considering i had been using membranes for the longest times and the older ones I do have I can't find the USB transmitter for. I've been careful with the mechanical though since there's no need for anything with fancy customization or RGB or anything like that. I'll see if I can find any older working ones though to keep me afloat for the time being. But as another note I did choose the Pentium Kaby Lake for the hyperthreading and it was under 100 dollars and the clock speed did catch my eye. If hyperthreading isn't an issue could I go with something like an i3 6100 or perhaps from the generation prior to it?

4.) The one thing I have wondered with the unclockable boards is is there ANY noticeable difference between the H and B boardsets besides the latter being more business oriented?

See, that's why I don't get the whole ego with the SSDs. Granted, I've been been exposed to PCs with SSD as the the main drive so there's no rush for me to get one (maybe as an extra in the future). Seeing as a LOT of games are taking up more establishment I would personally invest in an HDD considering the price to space ratio is amazing. The mouse isn't on my mind seeing as I have a cheap mouse and I don't need any extra buttons or functionality if I'm gonna be honest here.

Well to give a concrete example my usualy mainstay would be something like Warframe which can basically be run on (almost) literally a toaster so I'm not exactly sure how that comes into the equation. But as long as there's been no issue with the 470 and the current draw I'm probably just gonna toss the keyboard and invest that into it.

1 Like

I feel like you could do better....

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zFrTNN

For not that much more.

1 Like

Nope. Only difference is in peripheral connectivity for the most part.

But the 1060 has a 6gb version whereas a 480 has an 8gb version and it outperforms it at a similar price.

And yes AMD fixed the "issue" of power draw (wasn't that big a deal really as it was entirely within spec though).

I would rather have the xeon to.

1 Like

Or wait for Ryzen.

Although it's nice to have a little bit more room I'm just trying to get as much punch for the price untill Vega/Ryzen surfaces and see how the market reacts in the meanwhile for right now I would just want a modest 1080p/60fps build so that way I can wait sooner rather than later to save up for some much better parts and transition to 1440p.

Cheapest h81 board, G3258 with some overclock if possible, 470 to hold up until the autumn. By the time Vega will be out and the market will settle after its launch... 1080Ti will also be out and there are rumored pascal refresh...
Ryzen is coming out the last day of February, so by the time Vega comes out in June the market will settle.
If you need something for a month - don't buy anything. If you are going to hold up for a few months - save as much as possible and get the cheapest board you can find. Hell, even second hand is fine if it is only for a month...

2 Likes

For a month, why bother building a machine at all? Put the money you have to better use. Maybe get the case you always wanted or the keyboard you fancy, look out for good deals on quality PSUs.
TL;DR wait

1 Like

For $700 you can get some sweet PCIe SSD, and/or a 4K monitor and then attach them to Ryzen.

2 gigs read &&1 gig write

Plenty of people debating the CPU, card etc, so I'll not interfere there.

I see you have a DVD writer listed. Any particular reason? Most people don't even have one in their PC anymore, Windows and Linux install from USB just fine.

I've just been so accustomed to installing OSes via optical drives. When i say this is my first build this really IS my first build. Honestly I was kind of expecting this to happen even if I tried to do a little bit of in-depth research with what parts would work but my inexperience shows as per this thread. This is nothign against anyone but myself for being disconnected but trying to really get back into the game.

1 Like

I also like server grade parts. My system is normally on 24/7.

If by that you mean the market's reaction to AMDs new products then it would potentially take longer than a month to see prices move and what Intel/Nvidia would do as a response in general. The mouse i already have a cheap hardwired and I can find an old keyboard but worst case scenario I can get one for 60 bucks (even if my preference in keyboards comes out to shelling a little bit more for that comfort.)