Firefox Quantum aka Current beta, is super speedy

I only have v.56 but can already tell it’s a bit more responsive and loads pages a little faster compared to 55. The biggest problem is that 2 of my extensions will not work once I get version 57.
Capture

you can simply enable the in-built privacy settings via about:config
privacy.trackingprotection.enabled;true

1 Like

For Beta/Nightly, you can use the test/development version of HTTPS Everywhere. It’s available at https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere#developers_note and https://www.eff.org/files/https-everywhere-test/index.html

2 Likes

Was going to link to this, it works nicely.

I dont think theres really a need for the privacy settings plugin, whats the use case for it @Grim_Reaper?

You werent kidding. Chrome suggested to me it had crashed trying to load test 4.

Basically it edits the numerous settings in about:config just by pressing one button. It’s super useful because you can lock down FF or make it more private without having to edit each of these settings manually. Not to mention you would have to know what each of them does.

This is the default settings after fresh install of FF

This is set to Privacy & Security.

If you click on the advanced button you can change them manually plus it gives you short explanation of what each of them does.

2 Likes

Ah yeah i see, it looks useful like you said compared to manually going through about:config

It does look like he has webextension plugins, so i imagine this is being worked on.

Huh? Maybe under ideal conditions. Real world testing shows the opposite.

score

score

Chrome is still faster for me. Real world = 100% background CPU usage for me. No I am not going to throw away 8 hours of encoding to do benchmarking under non-realistic conditions to see if I get a different result.

Unrelated:

I have always used both Chrome + Firefox. The reason Firefox became popular, over IE, is because of Addons. That update broke 3/4 of my addons.

1 fixed the broken-ness that is firefox 29+, and so not supporting that add-on broke a million other things too.

Broken:

• Lastpass (dealbreaker)
  • Classic theme Restorer (dealbreaker)
    • right-click menu/tab positioning, theme positing, bookmark spacing, cluttered icons etc. (each flaw is individually annoying)
  • my theme (dealbreaker)
  • HTTPS Everywhere by EFF

Addons Not Broken:

• Ublock Origin.

The addons work just fine on ESR and Chrome, except theme restorer. The Chrome UI is unfixable, and apparently so is Firefox 57’s UI.

Notes:

• still no translation feature
  • MSNBC still doesn’t work without globally allowing 3rd party cookies. Whitelist has no effect. Whitelisting works in Chrome.
  • Installed update service without prompting. Had to be manually removed.
  • Stability not tested, but cannot get any worse I suppose.

Fixed:

• Firefox now uses multiple processes, (task mgr) and is the same as Chrome finally.
  • Noticable performance benefit, on par with chrome for daily use in terms of speed but unusable due to all the broken things.

Chrome can translate stuff, play back video, but I do not need another Chrome. I need a browser that doesn’t have terrible UI that handles cookies properly and supports my addons, Chrome is not it and Firefox 57 is not it. So… I will stick with ESR 52 for the forseable future + Chrome as a workaround for the Firefox defects.

Lastpass aren’t releasing an update until 57 leaves beta.

There’s a beta of this already available (see above in topic)

Classic theme restorer is up to the developer to keep it up to date or not.

The UI is quite configurable, im not sure what exactly you want to change. You want cluttered icons?

edit: Interestingly i did the same test you did, Fx 58 got in 500~, chrome dev i quit it took so long.

The update made everything cluttered. There is no reason why an update should break things. You always have to make a deliberately change, instead of just maintenance updates, to break something. The only reason to use Firefox over Chrome is UI and the developers stopped caring about that a loooong time ago. If they stop supporting what I consider a critical addon, I might as well uninstall Firefox permanently. I have always supported 2 browsers, so supporting 1 would be much simpler.

Tabs on top causes UI conflicts.

Not having classic UI broke it to what you see in the above picture instead. It’s just… horror. Too many issues to even begin listing them. The above order is wrong, visually, the order should be:

1. Generic Program Bar
  2. Program Specific Option Bar
  3. Navigation + Address Bar
  4. Bookmarks Bar.
  5. Websites (tabs)

Like this:

See? Very orderly, the way things should be. As bonus does not mess up my theme.

Edit:

Yeah, I do not care about theoretical performance. Real world-testing is the speed I am actually going to get and so the speed I actually care about. Chrome, non-dev, was perfectly stable and faster for me.

Indeed, this release is making me consider switching from Chrome.
Hell, its probably been around 10 years since I last used Firefox on the regular.

100% background CPU may be normal for you, but its not normal for most users… what you are doing isn’t bench marking how optimized the browser is, just how demanding its set priority wise. Chrome could be using twice as many CPU cycles to do the same task and it’d still come out ahead if it was pushier at getting them… this isn’t a normal optimization since far more people have browser functions AS background while doing more important things (eg running a game or video editing, where you want it responsive) than having the other tasks in the background on such a long timescale that you don’t consider how much your slowing it down a priority so long as the browser runs faster.

Also the “broken” addons aren’t permanently borked, they are just unsupported till they update to the new (and really much better) permissions system. I do totally agree the lack of support in the short term for things like lastpass will be a dealbreaker for many, but you can get other new classic theme addons, and HTTPS everywhere functionality has also been copied by many addons on the newer system.

1 Like

The only reason 57 is super stupid fast is because they stripped a bunch of stuff out. At least thats my guess. 57 was the candidate that flash is disabled by default right? Bunch of other stuff.

Of note. If you really want to you can enable legacy extensions to get some important extensions back for the time being.

about:config?filter=extensions.legacy.enabled

2 Likes

No need to guess, the link tells you :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No it uses a new engine, Quantum, instead of the old antiquated Gecko engine; which Waterfox and Palemoon still use.

Side note: the Quantum engine has been made in Rust (my new favorite programming language)

I’d like to acquire that ability to read moving text :santa:t6:

that would also explain why its faster.

And why exactly did Mozilla redone how the extension works? Did they do it because of peer pressure (Google) or because the new way is superior to the old way?

Did they convert to the 64 bit masterrace?