Finally ran out of PCIe lanes. Time to upgrade to Threadripper. Suggested parts?

So my Haswell 4770k is showing its age. I ran out of PCIe lanes I believe. I recently dropped in a Samsung 970 EVO with a Gen 3 x4 adapter card. The SSD is running at ~1000Mb/s R/W instead of the 3500/1700 it is rated at. It is also running as a Gen 2 x4 if placed in the Gen 2 slot and Gen 3 x2 if placed in a Gen 3 x8 slot. I also have a Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium card that now does not output sound with the 970 plugged in. It seems that my 1080 is eating all PCIe lanes available.

As such, I think it is time to upgrade to Threadripper.

Recommend a board
Recommend a chip
Recommend RAM 16GB or higher

Plan to do PCIe Passthrough
Linux as base OS.

Case: Corsair Graphite 600T
PSU: Corsair HX750 Gold
GPU: GTX 1080
Soundcard: Soundblaster X-fi Titanium PCIe 1x
SSD x4 (including the 970)
3x HDDs
1x DVDRW

CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-D15S

The 4770k kit will be shifted to my media server to replace the existing FM1 8350K build.

I use Newegg exclusively for parts so please keep them on Newegg. I use Amazon for some of the low cost parts since I only have a Newegg store card.

I am not brand loyal on Motherboards. I just want a quality board that is good for IOMMU and supports Linux well. So far I have been lucky to not have to replace motherboards on the setups I have built. My current CPU/RAM/Mobo is from 2012.

Oh and if possible, I guess a LOTES socket would be nice since from what I understand, a LOTES socket is the least likely to be jacked up when installing?

1950X is currently $200 cheaper than the 2950X, so I would opt for that one

This mobo has the bells and whistles and is worth the extra 70-80$ you’d pay over a lower end board imho. Review here

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145044&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC--na--na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

You’ll want to opt for 32Gb ram with threadripper as you’d otherwise have to go with 4GB sticks to get quad-channel memory with 16Gb RAM.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231930&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC--na--na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Define R6 is most definitely the choice for a high amount of SSDs or HDDs, yet still looking good.

Now there’s a USB-C version:

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r6-usb-c-black-tg

If you plan to oc the pbo is worth $200 imho. 1st gen ryzen was a bit squirrelly with overclocks past about 4ghz. If you don’t plan to oc, the 2950x will make up the performance difference on single thread stuff but is very similar performance multithread.

Do you have or plan to use a 10 gig lan?

I very well might in the future. I dont really see myself overclocking any time soon. I eyed Ryzen until I noted that it has the same number of PCIe lanes as my Haswell.

Im a Star Citizen and Escape From Tarkov player. As soon as I can, Im switching back to AMD

Also, @FurryJackman, I already have a case that does just fine. I paid $160 for it and have yet to find anyone who wants to buy it from me so I will continue to use it.

Star Citizen will benefit greatly from a RTX card and Threadripper. That game uses FP64 for positioning, so that’s either going to be CPU or GPU compute intensive.

I dont believe the hype around the RTX. I need actual evidence. Besides IIRC, Vega has strong FP64 as well.

How would you compare the Designare vs the MSI X399 Gaming Pro AC?

I have yet to see someone benchmark Star Citizen on a Titan V. I think that card has REALLY good FP64.

1 Like

i dont need a new GPU

MSI Carbon is a 5x2 phase VRM, but it uses 60A powerstages.

Designare EX is native 8 phase, but 50A powerstages.

Taichi is native 8 phases with 60A powerstages.

Source: TR4 VRM list: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/lga-tr4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1171058.html

The current Vega GPUs have terrible FP64 performance, the last AMD GPU that had full speed FP64 was Hawaii, but even those had been kinda gimped in the desktop models (290X/390X have 1/8 (or maybe 1/16) speed FP64, Hawaii based FirePro-s have 1/2 speed).
Thankfully this will likely not matter, as I would imagine that all FP64 based positioning is done CPU side.

As for the HW, I would recommend the 2950X (or a 1950X if you can get one for cheap) and 4*8GB of 3200 MHz RAM. No experience regarding x399 boards, but the Asrock Taichi is cheap and it looks solid for 16 core CPUs.
If you want 10 Gbps Ethernet, you might be better of with some other board though. The Asus Zenith Extreme is of course very nice, but also very expensive.

1 Like

I dont currently use 10gig but I do have an SFP port on my router. But, if I were to use 10gig, it would probably be connected to my Server.

Since we can’t really tell if they are SAMSUNG dies or not, a general idea is 3200MHz @ CL14 will likely lead to that.

1 Like

@wendell This is what I have so far: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/T4349J

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 2950X 3.5GHz 16-Core Processor ($899.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S TR4-SP3 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard ($323.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($500.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY - CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair - 600T ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1724.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-18 13:33 EDT-0400

Well it mainly depends on the said feutures that are important to you.
Basically all those three boards named above are fine.
VRM wise the Msi board basically is the strongest of the three.
Allthough its basically just a 5+3 phase doubled to 10+3 by using IR3599 phase doublers,
and there for it have to deal with more input and output ripple current,
compaired to true 8 phase solutions like the Asrock Taichi or Gigabyte Designare EX.
But that shouldn’t really matter that much.
The Msi board still has the stronger vrm of the three boards listed.
And the Gigabyte being the weakest for what its worth in your particular setup goals.

For the rest i cannot really tell how the Msi X399 gaming pro carbon AC does with iommu pci-e passtrough,
since i personally have not really played arround with that stuff yet.
But maybe @wendell did allready test that out.

Like i mentioned all those three boards are basically fine for a 1950X or 2590X cpu.
Its mainlly a matter of compairing connectivity features and find the righr balance for you.

1 Like