Fedora 28 WiFi stick problems

I went ahead and bought a WiFi USB stick for my notebook because the internal WiFi adapter is broken. After jumping through some hoops - namely installing a custom driver provided on GitHub - I got it working for quite a while now.

However, when I installed Fedora 28 I put disabled SE Linux due to some errors I wanted to fix later on. When I re-enabled SE Linux yesterday the system was unable to boot, which is why I put it into permissive mode. (I booted the notebook using the install USB-stick, mounted the hard drive and changed the entry). After relabeling the filesystem, it was able to boot normally. Today, I discovered that my WiFi stopped working after a while, which is why I re-plugged the WiFi stick and it worked again for a few hours. After that, it lost its connection more and more often. (I decided to disable SE Linux again, just to be sure).
Now, the system is unable to connect with this stick for longer than a couple of seconds (if I’m lucky).
When I execute lsusb the WiFi sticks shows up consistently, while iwconfig doesn’t find anything.

I tried booting other, older kernels, but this didn’t help either.

Has someone here an idea what’s happening, or at least how to find what’s causing this issue?

Do you have another PC to plug this into so you can verify it’s isolated to this install? Now that I think about it, this may be a hardware problem and not software.

1 Like

Thanks for taking a look at it, I’ve a couple of other PCs at my disposal, but only one W10 PC right now (which supports it without additional drivers).

Concerning your comment in the other thread: I realised that after I bought it :smiley: - for my RPi3 I’m using an Edimax stick which is supported by Linux. I might try this one on my notebook too.

I would recommend trying it to see if you lose connection.

How long have you had it? If it’s still within return period, I’d recommend doing that and getting the one you have for your RPi.

1 Like

I can still return it until the 26th and I might just do that. Interestingly enough, the notebook know had two times problems to detect my mouse and keyboard (connected through usb).
Ist there some kind of usb diagnostic on Linux?

That’s definitely a USB controller problem then.

Good question. Not that I know of.

If you can afford the downtime, take the RPi NIC and connect it to your laptop, to reproduce the problem.

Do you know if it’s only certain ports on your laptop that are causing it?

1 Like

what is the output of lsusb -vvfor your usb adapter?

2 Likes

Also you should be able to poke around in what the driver is doing in /sys/kernel/debug. thats if the driver was written properly.

If there is nothing in /sys/kernel/debug then youll need to mount it.

mount -t debugfs debugfs /sys/kernel/debug
1 Like

This is the output of lsusb -vv:
https://pastebin.com/uH5TMPRn

@SgtAwesomesauce I’ll probably have to wait until tomorrow. We’re using the RPi for streaming right now

@Dje4321 - concerning /sys/kernel/debug: I’ll look later, the notebook doesn’t have its screen anymore and is only connected to the or TV (which we’re using for streaming). Since I don’t have a WiFi connection, I can’t even use ssh :smiley:

1 Like

I notice you have 2 wireless devices plugged in. This might be causing the issue as they are probably using the same frequency. Might try removing the wireless mouse adapter and see if that helps

1 Like

The logitech receiver that’s in that listing is definitely on 2.4GHz.

2 Likes

I removed the Logitech receiver, but it still didn’t work. The one I’m using on my Pi works without any problems. I’ll probably send it back and get another one. (I’ll still test if it works on my W10 PC later).

1 Like

While the stick works on my W10 PC I still decided to send it back and get a new one that works with Linux out-of-the-box.

1 Like