Fedora 25 installation black screen

Hm, i wonder if this is a cause of the issue? It be worth adding that to the bug report.

It's won't cause issues with it off. In fact it's needed if you want access to the windows partition

I'll see if I get the chance this week to try and recreate this with a live USB and those UEFI settings.

I'll add it to the bug report later or tomorrow, once my desktop is set up again

1 Like

Do you still recommend I install the proprietary nVidia drivers if everything seems fine now?

Generally yes.

If your now getting a good experience on the nouveau driver you'd good. The driver has improved a lot and you'll see that most in Fedora (though the downside with that is theres still bugs in the new code that you've just experienced). However if your doing any sort of gaming, or anything remotely 3D intensive, realistically you probably want to use the proprietary drivers.

the nouveau drivers just aren't there, in contrast AMD actually works on the amdgpu drivers, and there pretty good and work will on 3d and games.

1 Like

btw, you have two options. the drivers from rpmfusion or the drivers from negativo17. I usualy recommend the negativo17 ones with dkms

I think I'll install them then, but I also want to use ZFS as the root filesystem like I do on my laptop running fedora. Do you think there will be any interference with the nVidia drivers? I used this guide to set it up on my notebook.

I do not believe there will be any conflict there.

1 Like

Thank you, I'll try it then

I'm trying to install the nvidia drivers using this guide, but I get the error "Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.10.11-200...". Could it be that the latest nvidia drivers aren't compatible with the newest kernel version for Fedora?

What step exactly are you getting that error?

When it says "building DKMS module"

Don't use that guide.

Install the drivers using one of the two repos i suggested.

1 Like

Thank you, I forgot about looking up your suggestions

The repos will keep it up to date and rebuild the kernel whenever needed. Last time i used nvidia i used the negativo17 repo. It also have vulkan drivers. It worked well and i prefer dkms over akmod that rpmfusion uses.

I think dkms is a better choice since ZFS on Linux also uses it and I plan to use ZFS

I would also recommend this option.
If I were you I would scrap ZFS if it conflicts with the other Repos and Drivers. I do not see why it would though.

Thank you for your advice but I'll try it out first before I scrap it. It runs very well on my notebook. The problem I had before surely wasn't because of ZFS because I hadn't installed it yet at that point.

Is there a conflict if you go with Eden's solution?
I am not seeing why you can't just add one of the 2 repos and keep ZFS.

I don't think there's a conflict, I just asked to make sure. I'll report back once I tried it.