Fallout 4 Hardware posting thread

I want to support AMD so they stick around......
This machine is like our little studio toy I didn't buy the parts a good friend and client with deep pockets buys these for us.

If I am going to buy a new machine for my working and pleasure I'm staying on the red team.

How did you managed to set this resolution? I was able to put i in fullscreen with nvidia optimalization tool, but all I have is stretched 1080p.

Haha. Zen should be great. I just think in comparison it may be a waste of funds. Like me jumping from a 5820k to a 5930k... Not much logic.

@I think it has to do with also your monitor dimensions. I'm not really a hardware enthuiast for home entertainment stuff, possibly ask 1 of these guys here I saw that another guy was running 2560x1080 (somewhere around there). Wish I actually had enough time to really get into some games but such is not the case.

Google fallout 4 21:9 settings. You will find multiple sights showing you how to edit the .ini files to achieve this. There are two places it must be set. Anyways give it a quick Google and the rest should be easy :)

Well my personal machine not this toy machine is just a8 7600/r9 270x. Honestly to do what I do for work I just need a minimum of 4 cores and 8gb ram, I have a fx8350 and gigabyte 990fx board in the drawer here but I feel like until they ask me to run more than 1 virtual machine at a time I don't need 8 cores or 8 threads yet. When I do finally upgrade my personal machine going from a 4 core APU to a dedicated cpu with 8 cores and 16 threads will allow me to run many VM's at once.

until then I just wait and use this machine our lovely money pants friend has donated to us lol.

1 Like

NV has so far optimized and cut corners with their own hairworks and tessellation based technologies. Forcing everyone else (amd) to follow execution code they left. Thus AMD cannot optimize tessellation drivers for gameworks dlls... all they can do is look at the binary and try to optimize it that way... which is the most inefficient ways... because there might be a better way to do it - they simply do not know.

Thats the problem with gameworks... effects are ok... the inability to optimize because they don't want you to see whats in there is the problem. So nvidia is benchmarking scores for amd - which is very bad. If you want to see difference, metro game used to be tessellation heavy game, and nvidia used to be best - but code was open for optimizations ~> and 7970's were killing in tessellation there.

AMD is switching to SMT so it should be a 16 core straight up unless they use hyper threading, but Intel has patents on that

3930k 4.7 GHZ
Titan x sli
2133mhz ddr3

Anyone having issues with sli? I have 99% gpu1 usage and 5% gpu 2

Okay, I was searching with DuckDuckGo and did not find anything useful...
With google tho...

The "How to" is in description of video

Finally got it running last night in my KVM on Win 7 after having a few driver problems, seems to be all sorted out now and is running smooth but I've only played about a hour so I need more in-game time to see if it is really stable, but the specs are the same that I ran 3 and NV on with the exception of the beta AMD drivers I'm now running.

Host system Fedora 22 with latest build applied.

Guest system Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
CPU: AMD 8370 (guest is using 6 cores)
16g of DDR 3 (which is half of the 32g the system has)
MB: Asrock 990FX Fatality
GPU: Sapphire R9 270X running the beta 15.11

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

I'm running the game at 1080p and the frame rate is 45-60, settings are the default "ultra" that the game picked with it's test when you first fire it up, I haven't tweaked anything in Catalyst or the game settings yet.

I had a problem initially where starting the game it would crash within a minuet and return to the desktop, after Googling the problem there were several possible answers but the one that seemed to work for most people running a AMD GPU was the beta drivers which after I installed (be sure to uninstall the old drivers first) them the problem went away and I was able to start the game.

So far the game seems very playable with this configuration....but need a few hours of extended play to really get a good idea on the overall stability running in the KVM, time will tell. lol

UPDATE: Played about 3 hours last night, picked up dog meat and made it to Concorde, works just fine with no issues at all, I'll start tweaking the graphic settings this weekend but I can tell anyone who is interested it runs just fine in a KVM with my hardware configuration, nice and stable at a pretty constant 60 fps.

2 Likes

as far I am aware there is not sli ready.
Got a friend he has a triple 980ti HoF Galax and just only one gpu is working..

SLI is not implemented, yet

Athlon X4 760K OC to 4.4ghz
8gb DDR3 1600
Gigabyte R9 285

I run it at 1080p, with everything maxed. Framerates generally go between 30-60, depending on how much is going on. In very heavily wooded areas with a lot on the screen, they can dip down to the mid-20s. Silly playable, but probably annoying to the enthusiast.

EDIT - CCC defaulted to "AMD Optimized" tessellation settings. I haven't messed with it yet.

1 Like

Have you tried loosening the strap by a couple of notches?

Im playing Fallout 4 on few years old computer:
CPU: i5 2500
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengenance
GPU: GTX 570

Im running it in ultrawide 2560x1080 on medium to high with some fancy stuff completely turned off.

Dunno how to tell you exact FPS, but its playable...no stuters, runs smoothly

Hardware:
Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz
GTX 970
16GB DDR3
2200 RPM fan wit red LED lights

I'm using an ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor and the framerate fluctuates wildly on Ultra settings depending on the location and time of day. Interiors and nighttime conditions are usually stable at 60fps with occasional dips to around 50. Outside scenes during the day with lots of grass will drop the framerate down to the low 20s.

I adjusted the graphics settings by setting the Shadow quality to high, Shadow Distance to medium, Lighting quality to high, and Godrays quality to High. I also drastically lowered the grass fade and set the distant object and object detail fade both to high. I'm also using FXAA instead of TAA for anti-aliasing

These adjustments now allow me to run 90% of the game at 60fps with the most demanding scenes dropping to the upper 30s/lower40s.

Nvidia Gentelmans and ladies... (if there is any one playing F4)
How to enable SLI in Fallout:

have fun!

It's not working (no significant fps gain), and the game looks a lot uglier with these settings.

1 Like

3570K @ 4.2
32GB DDR3 1600
MSI 980Ti
3840 x 2160 resolution

TXAA on.
Anisotropic Filtering: 2 samples
Texture Quality: Ultra
Shadow Quality: Low
Shadow Distance: Medium
Decal Quality: None
Lighting Quality: Ultra
Godrays (disabled in INI)
Depth of Field (Low)
Ambient Occlusion (Off)
Screen Space Reflections (unchecked)
Wetness (checked)
Rain Occlusion (checked)
Motion Blur (unchecked)
Lense Flare (checked)
Distance Object Detail (high)
Object Detail Fade (high)

I also reduced the shadow resolution in the INI. It definitely helped to maintain a more stable FPS. The game is still somewhat jittery but this game really hasn't been optimized to play at high resolutions. I still get immersion breaking frame dropping inside the Institute and certain locations in the cities.