Every homeowner should have a camera system (I got robbed)

Mods, feel free to put this in whatever category is more fitting

So for those of you that do not frequent the Lounge you probably don't know what has transpired over this weekend

I got a call from my Grandmother (who is currently in Florida) asking if I ever received a package from her. At first I was confused since I always get my mail. I asked her what date it was delivered on and she said the 17th of March ( a week ago)

Doubting her slightly I checked my 4 camera security system and sure enough it was delivered. And then stolen.

As you can see the (lets just call him ginger thief) first walks past my house and notices a box on my porch. He then promptly cuts around the block through the alley and walks back in the same direction and steals my package.

If not for my camera system I would have never known what happened. At the time my dad purchased this everyone in the house called him paranoid (even me slightly).

BUT WHAT DO YOU KNOW THE SAFE NEIGHBORHOOD I'VE LIVED IN MY NEARLY 20 YEARS OF LIFE FINALLY GOT A CROOK.

This is my camera system

It can be accessed remotely, send email alerts, and has IR night vision and MOST IMPORTANTLY export video VERY EASILY

BIG F***ING NOTE:

I'm not trying to push this specific system, its just what I use.

@DeusQain has tutorial on a DIY solution

This is originally where my dad got his information to go about this
https://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/46_Safes_andamp__Home_Security.html

If you were wondering what the package was it had pajamas in it and was insured for $50.

I will bring this scum to justice. Nobody touches my fucking PJ's from grandma

20 Likes

Fairly certain that a camera system would cost more than everything I own. Also don't know where I'd keep it.

1 Like

The one I use can rack mount, but I keep it on a shelf in my basement with a monitor on top of it

1 Like

Ah, ya i live in a shed that's fairly hidden, I should be fine

3 Likes

Just an FYI claiming insurance on that package will mean all future packages will have to be signed for in person or picked up from your local hub (if it's UPS) not sure how others have a 3 strike system or what but it's something to keep in mind.

1 Like

😕

USPS

Ah, look into their policy before making a claim because trust me you don't want to sign for packages for the rest of forever.

1 Like

I'd be happy with just putting this dude behind bars, with other dudes.

hehe

"what are you in for","stealing PJ's", "yep your my bitch now"

5 Likes

Unless if you convict him of pedophilia (my God was there a baby in that package!?!?) He isn't gonna get raped. Sorry bro.

I've contacted the news, so this dude will be infamous in about 24 hours.

At least I can f*** up his reputation forever

4 Likes

Well damn that is terrible what happened.
BUT only sh*t at least you had surveillance and it on tape.
I would like to see people like that end up in jail.

On another note, I hope things get figured out and that you get something in return.

1 Like

There is a reason we get to our door in Germany to sign for a recived package...
This is bad and the solution is okay but the reason this needs to exist should not be there!

1 Like

1 Like

Same thing happened awhile back. I live in a suburban area which is quite safe - almost no gangs and primarily asian/indian.

My dad had a logitech unit(simple all-in-one PoE powered camera). He installed it at the front door, and liked it a lot. He ordered another one on ebay, and these cameras were quite expensive because logitech had discontinued them.

When the package tracking said "arrived", my dad asked if I got a package(I usually pick up the mail, but not on this particular day). I told him I didn't see any. Lo and behold, reviewing the footage from the newly installed camera, there was some white lady and her buddy in a car which rolled up, took the package, AND THEN ALSO PROCEEDED TO TAKE OUR MAIL.

We went around our neighborhood and found other people with camera systems as well, which also had noticed the same car and people recently doing these "petty thefts". We had enough information for a case, but decided against it as the police warned us that it was quite likely that these two people were also part of a larger group. I use the word "petty thefts" because the police consider it a "petty theft" due to the fact that these people didn't break into the house. The punishment for a crime like that is not very harsh, iirc.

A couple weeks later, we had notifications of credit card applications under our names, which was likely created using the information in whatever mail they stole.

We now have a lorex security system wired up around the house, as well as a mailbox with a lock on it.

1 Like

Locks on mailboxes are standart in Germany. In all honesty, I am shocked right now!

Here in the US, at least in my area, all the mailboxes are the very generic ones you see in books and movies.

e.g:

Literally just pull open and slide mail inside. Anyone can technically access it, and the mailman gets pissed if you don't pick up your mail every day because if you get a lot of mail, space fills up in this thing super damn fast.

1 Like

Insert mail from top (hidden under lid), insert newspaper below. Generic German mailbox. The downside is: It is not that easy to mount on a post.

Edit: If the picture is not showing, just search for "Briefkasten"

With the growing amount of things being ordered online as society progresses more towards an online economy, these types of crimes are only going to get worse.

1 Like

Broken link :c

This is the type of mailbox we have now. Insert mail in the top via a kind of dumping bucket thing, and open the door with a key on the bottom to get your mail. It's a lot bigger and nicer and can easily hold up to a week's mail if you aren't constantly getting little packages.