Escape from Japan

I've been curious about Japan for a long time. I think after doing some research that It would be a great place to go and live for 1-3 months, travel and not work. I don't think I could hack the insane working hours that pressure that would inevitably build up after having f all downtime. As with most of this thread, heard a lot of good things about Japan in terms of travel, culture and food with the downsides are some parts being obnoxiously humid, the insane work environment and (to a lesser extent) some dodgy cops not caring about foreigners.

I think it would be an expensive 3 months that I am not sure would offer much of a learning experience, an exchange program for some of the younger folks might be very enlightening but a prolonged kind of backpackers extended holiday in this country just scream "huge waste of money and time" to me.

from what i heard it's very impolite to be noisy (you can pick your booger in public no problem). but eating loudly is a compliment to the chef and restaurant (so good you cant keep quite)

correct me if im wrong

There is some crazy censorship going on here. I swear like 10 posts have been removed from here. Communism is creeping in.

yeah wtf. i know it was kinda off topic but it doesnt merit deletion, unless op did it then i guess it's fine. his blog

he didn't

Rouge mod?

Nah, I surely did not delete it but I will definitely be placing that sanctimonious individual on ignore so I don't have to read his annoying white knighting posts anymore.

2 Likes

ok i realized what it was, they were all responses, when someone deletes the original post the responses go with it.

I have lived in Japan for over three years. I have traveled the world and seen most of humans greatest societies and civilizations. I have learned that if you like tech and learning but also bitching about humans and America and believing that other countries are better then you would like the states. I have also learned that if you enjoy overly emotional cartoons with emo plots and inappropriate pictures of cartoon children you would probably like Japan as well as most of the Middle East and Asian nations. I have family that live all over the world and we all agree their is something awesome about America. My best guess to this is that every culture is represented and it gives a strong sense of diversity but with mutual goals. I have seen way to many fucked up things by the Japanese people to want to keep living here without all the benifits that come with living in the states. Also everyone I meet in Japan has so far told me they are trying to move to the states.

Japan is a nice place but...

Don't move there for tech unless you just care about their internet speeds. Don't move there for their Games or Anime because their atarashii Anime and games are crap because their economy is shit and studios need to pander to the otaku for the safest way to make money limiting their creative freedom to make cool shit. If you want their Games and Anime so bad, you can watch Crunchyroll and import that shit easily. Don't move there at all unless you're very skilled that can pay a lot of money so you can afford to live in one of the most expensive cities in the world and your job can work with 2 years of studying Japanese.

Other than that Japan is great! I'd love to visit Kyoto in the spring time and experience the Hanami and a Matsuri and visit Hokkaido and enjoy the vistas.

LOL I wanted to concur with most of what you said then I realized you wrote that you would love to visit here which makes me understand you have never been here?

I remember a foreigner from a pretty popular chat site telling he wants to live here in Japan just to prove you can live off of vending machines here.... ugh

It's all about meme's with these people and it just frankly gets old.

Well, I never been there because it's expensive as fuck. I can't even afford a plane ticket and I can afford rent the Philippines of which I'd love to visit along with Glasgow.

If you can afford to "rent" the entire Philippines buying a plane ticket to Japan would be like buying a pack of cigarettes for you. Come on man.

The Philippines is cheap as fuck. You can get good housing for under $200 per month there.

I spent a month in Japan and it was interesting but not a place I would like to live.

1 Like

It's also crime ridden,polluted, dirty and has only 1 season, NO THANKS.

I stayed there for 9 months back in 2000, never again.

Worked in Japan for four years. I was very happy to return to the east coast. I remember thinking when i got there "this is a great place...to visit/vacation." It's hard to give up your way of life, the culture shock is real. The thing I missed the most was going out for a drive.

New York City is also crime ridden, but a lot more expensive.

A lot can change in 15 years. In double that time, Mexico City made lots of progress. http://www.gatesfoundation.org/~/media/Annual-Letter-2014/Myth-1/Myth1_Image1_MexicoCity.jpg?mw=702&la=en

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Who-We-Are/Resources-and-Media/Annual-Letters-List/Annual-Letter-2014

I enjoy viewing Rachel, and Jun's Youtube channel for a small insight into Japanese culture; Rachel is conversant in Japanese which is a big plus.

Another fantastic video from Rachel, and Jun about a Japanese attraction called: 'Fox Village' in English.