Eric S. Raymond Banned from OSI - there is a war going on

You’re right, but the OSI is about openness

It’s in the name, it’s in the tenants, it’s what ESR is fighting to preserve.

What is your understanding of the goal of this change?

It sounds like you’re implying this change is trying to get money out of open source (which would be a death knell for it)

Or as a German comedian put it:

You have the right to say anything, you just don’t have the right for anyone to listen.

Maybe the first move is to ignore all the angry kids banging their fists on the floor.

2 Likes

That’s fair, but as a founder, getting banned for a buffalo sauce tier hot take is stupid.

If we ran this forum by those rules, there would be no users left. Same with pretty much every online community.

3 Likes

I’m more likely to have an AK74 than a 47 if I’m honest

Irrelevant.

Indeed, but I’ve always thought ESR to be the more naive of the two (the other of “two” here being RMS). Which is slightly ironic, given their respective reputations.

That depends on the specific case. Often it appears to be because they want to be able to use proprietary forks or extensions without having to share them (definitely Apple’s goal when they created llvm/clang). It’s not that hard to make the FSF seem unreasonable in this regard to justify the move, unfortunately, but that doesn’t change the underlying motive.

Other times it is because “owning” a project just speeds up decision making. In the short run this gives the company what it wants faster, since they don’t have to wait for consensus to build, it also allows them to directly steer the project as if it was internally developed, since they employ almost the entire core team, while still benefiting from volunteer contributions. The drawback is that the solution chosen is not necessarily the best one (more than likely not, I would argue) and that strong arming a solution, or brutally replacing existing projects, doesn’t tend to leave one on the best of terms with their authors, or anyone else trampled in the process.

These are always sold a pragmatic solutions, and any opposition is just “people stuck in the past”, while in truth things just didn’t move fast enough for the corporations involved, or not exactly in the desired direction, so they forced a solution that suited them, and backed that up with ample marketing.

The end result is that instead of picking whatever is considered the best solution by consensus we get a likely inferior solution with a lot of social drama on top, driving both the quality of the result down as well as fracturing the community. So while it likely won’t kill FLOSS, at least not anytime soon, it is definitely harmful and the motives are definitely monetary, though not (usually) in an immediate sense.

The things happening at OSI are, imho, just more of the same, but at a different “level”.

1 Like

What does any of this bullshit have to do with using a computer

leave political dicks out of my computer

3 Likes

Yeah it’s just the OSI, who cares?

It’s another silicon valley corporation founded with VC interests to capitalize the name “open source” on the tidal wave of the computer software revolution that had been building for decades.

Don’t let this “war” (read: drama) between limelight industry celebs get you riled up.

1 Like

Give an inch they take a mile
Often by force

2 Likes

In what way?

You’re really cynical.

I’d hate to live in a world where I think that every company is against me.

I dunno about that. This whole thing was created to get companies to start to care about this stuff. They finally do and we decide it’s time to boot them?

Take your pick.

Yes, it’s not perfect. Yes, they think it’s a way to better profits.

If you think any of that is a reason to get rid of them, you’re as much of a zealot as Stallman.

It’s not about the OSI. It’s about what they’re able to do to people like ESR.

This is absolutely about them trying to dismantle a great community and install their preferred leaders in place of the ones they take down.

Doesn’t really matter. See above.

1 Like

How is this dismantling a community? It’s just corporate politics, it’s not like someone can be kicked out of “the open source community”.

What does happen is that people in the community will unavoidably change over time. New people become part of the community, and maybe not everyone shares the same values, and people disagree, etc. But it’s not like being on the board of the OSI or not really matters from a community perspective.

Don’t oversubscribe to corporate politics.

I guess my overall gripe with the whole notion of there being “war” is that it gives the impression someone should win. We can’t just get along.

People don’t have to all share the same point of view in such a wide reaching community as open source. There is enough room for everyone to have their own thing going on. Open source is too big for there to be only one side to it.

I guess the whole issue is that people come in, join the community and immediately decide that we need to make sweeping changes to accommodate their autism.

That doesn’t fly with me.

And for some reason, we can’t tell them to fuck off.

2 Likes

This whole thing was created to get companies to start to care about this stuff. They finally do and we decide it’s time to boot them?

Open Source was created to get companies to care about the ideals of Free Software. That never happened.

They removed all references to user freedom and then built “open source” into it’s own thing that seemed limited to development methodology.

All of the infighting is a response to people trying to fill the void and figure out what exactly open source is when “user freedom” is no longer the obvious answer.

1 Like

People can’t make sweeping changes in open source, nobody has that much reach. There will be dumb dumbs who try but it’s dumb.

The community does what it wants. All of it.

Except it’s working.

the CC coc on the Linux kernel, now ESR getting blacklisted because he used the M word.

EDIT: goddamn this fucking phone

The Linux CoC is just a formalization of the defacto rules which were already in place. ESR will always have somewhere to go. The sky isn’t falling.

1 Like

Sounds like something Dieter Nuhr would say.

1 Like

There is a war going on…

Well really?.. :woman_facepalming:

Maybe not war…

Maybe not yet…
But from what i read in here, it’s not that far off.
I guess this topic likely doesn´t survive another 24 hours.
Although i´m kinda positive about how this topic is going right now.

1 Like