Epic/Psyonix issue refund to macOS/Linux Rocket League players

I will say that is one thing I was glad to see is that they didn’t appear to have any issue against players using those types of compatibility layers unlike other companies cough EA cough

That said it is still not the same as having a native client.

Well, Easy Anti Cheat may be on the horizon if they go with Epic Games Store exclusivity, and Epic won’t take Feral on as a port manager because they just want any opportunity to say that Linux doesn’t have games.

This could be very misleading.

They claim they get 80% (idk the actual number) of their support tickets from linux/mac players

So using the “active player base” phrase means the number of linux/mac ppl should be much higher… meaning there are issues and most of the linux/mac ppl cant actually play (hence the # of support tickets for issues.

hacks basically dont exist for RL, theres no reason to implement EAC.

But it’s Epic, they’ll find a reason to.

that doesnt make any sense especially when the reason to cut support was a financial decision.

lack of vulkan support in the version of unreal they use iirc

to be clear: they did not refund me directly.

they gave me steam money

1 Like

forsooth doth thou mind whomstves shillings be it

4 Likes

fixed

1 Like

applied

1 Like

BUT MUH NATIVE LINUX PORT.

That’s what this is about :woman_shrugging:

Thanks.

1 Like

I very much prefer the idea of running native code when possible rather than something that relies on additional complexity like a WINE or DXVK ABI translator. Every added complexity is another potential source of failure and performance loss. Same reason Java can be a joke.

This makes it sound like Unreal Engine 3 is literally using WineD3D as it’s OpenGL “renderer” on Mac/Linux. How was performance by comparison with the Windows version?

So today it happened… Rocket League update renders it no longer playable on Linux. Probably time for a change as I’ve apparently played 723 hours over the years… a whole month of my life :smiley:

Game launches but no online play or anything useful. Will watch this space to see if anyone can get it running under Proton. In the meantime I need to look for another “5 minute” game to play after work.

Any suggestions?

It always ran under proton, it’s not exactly a demanding game…
A lot of people even reported the Windows version in Proton runner better then the native one (even before they shut it down).

See also link in Post #19

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GIMME MY 25 BUCKS YA HOES

Ah fuck someone bought it for me

I still hold hope that Valve will figure out battleye/EAC via Proton.

Also recently a google developer made a project public that enables the use of windows DLL within the Native Linux environment. This MIGHT enable valve to redirect Proton/Wine games anti-cheat software to native linux versions (battleye and eac are supposedly supported under Linux)

As I suspected, rocket league still runs fine with steamplay.

Played a few rounds today after the big 9GB update.

1 Like

Closed as last post is past the 6 months necro deadline.