Epic/Psyonix issue refund to macOS/Linux Rocket League players

Psyonix will be issuing refunds to macOS and linux players, and have also shed some light on why they are discontinuing the aforementioned platforms.

Rocket League is an evolving game, and part of that evolution is keeping our game client up to date with modern features. As part of that evolution, we’ll be updating our Windows version from 32-bit to 64-bit later this year, as well as updating to DirectX 11 from DirectX 9.

Unfortunately, our macOS and Linux native clients depend on our DX9 implementation for their OpenGL renderer to function. When we stop supporting DX9, those clients stop working. To keep these versions functional, we would need to invest significant additional time and resources in a replacement rendering pipeline such as Metal on macOS or Vulkan/OpenGL4 on Linux. We’d also need to invest perpetual support to ensure new content and releases work as intended on those replacement pipelines.

The number of active players on macOS and Linux combined represents less than 0.3% of our active player base.

Makes sense as to why they are dropping mac and linux, and I guess it will only be a few hundred bucks for Psyonix to pay back to that microscopic user base.

Anyway good to see good customer treatment from a company.

-Thanks psyonix/epic.

7 Likes

Personally I don’t see the issue of them having to invest in new rendering pipelines. Get it done and over with and it could be used in future games if they ever made one. I think it’s just epic being epic and forcing everything back to Windows so it will be only on the EGS. Which likely has no plans to ever support Linux as a platform. Mac maybe.

1 Like

Or they could partner with someone like Feral; Feral do the port and support, if profitable, they pass some on to Psyonix/Epic

2 Likes

The ~0,1% that was using linux?

They can use proton, wine or other soultions no problem.

As part of that 0.3%, this seems like a reasonable resolution to me. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I thought that Wine/DXVK worked fine. IDK what the unhappy is all about.

That said, good on them.

2 Likes

well would you look at that… it was just a smart business decision after all.

2 Likes

If only they wrote the whole thing in java.

5 Likes

heart-attack

3 Likes

Nah, gotta write it in JS. That way it’s browser agnostic.

2 Likes

Inb4 flash

1 Like

In an ideal world they would have switched to Vulkan, but I think everyone reasonable can see why they didn’t.

2 Likes

Obsolete. Clearly they’re interested in the latest new trend in software technology. DX11 is bleeding edge.

1 Like

I bet it runs better with proton after moving to DX11.

2 Likes

Most likely.

Ideally Apple would have “invented” Vulkan, then everyone would be happy

1 Like

I can’t even tell you guys apart.

3 Likes

So looking into this, I am not sure how well the refunds will go through, but it seems like you are going to have issues with the refund regardless, I am assuming Valve has some way of tracking that you either bought the game “exclusively” or “primarily” for Linux, some people have had success by manually opening a ticket with Steam with quite a bit of back and forth quoting the dev’s word in order to get a refund.

All in all, it doesn’t seem that reasonable to refund the game when it is like $20USD and is often 12USD or under thanks to sales/humble bundle.

While the principle of the matter is nice and all, you are likely hurting Steam more than you are hurting Psyonix. This is likely due to Psyonix getting compensated by Epic’s treasure trove, but you are probably hitting Steam’s bottom-line as they may have to refund the cut they took also. You also have to take into account that Valve has to allocate support resources to this entire matter which is only adding cost on top of them.

1 Like

If it was me, I would not refund it anyway since the game should be playable on steam via proton.

https://www.protondb.com/app/252950

platinum support.

2 Likes

That’s racist.

3 Likes