[Ended] What would you do with a TerraMaster NAS?

I would upgrade my NAS from a raspi with a external HDD to this thing full of as big HDDs as I can afford.
Custom Linux with zfs for integrity and days of unending fun bashing my head against a wall trying to find out, why something is not doing what I want it to do.

4 Likes

Wendell, I would finally start my onsite backup of my Very important data.

3 Likes

I would use this to have a proper backup/sync server.

4 Likes

I would backup my data so I could mess about with my main Linux machine stress free, okay less stress. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m working on a few science/geology documentaries in my spare time and am realizing very quickly how 2-3 TB of internal storage (even if flash storage) is FAR from realistic. I’m currently divided between multiple internal drives and it’s nearly impossible to keep track (not to mention living in constant fear of a drive failure).

Having a NAS would be a lifesaver when it comes to organization and backup. Thanks for doing this giveaway.

3 Likes

Backups! I have a cheap primary NAS and USB for backup, but would love another NAS to put elsewhere offsite!

3 Likes

This would be my first piece of 10gb equipment - so if nothing else it would start the process of re-networking my workspace and installing a 10gb switch for my main PC and this NAS.

One thing I really, really, really, want, is an object store like S3 on the home network. The BOTO3 library has saved my butt, and I really like being able to authenticate and upload from scripts. I kinda sorta hate mounting filesystems in containers and vm’s. If I could do a MyNAS.upload(io.bytes(), ‘object/path’), I might squeal a little with joy… in private… and quickly resume my hunched silence.

2 Likes

I would finally be able to migrate all the VMs and containers related to NAS services that should be running constantly (OpenMediaVault) off my 800w machine… I don’t want to run that constantly as to save on my electricity bill. ZFS for the win and constant backups… Yes please!

2 Likes

My Family has on the order of 30 years of pictures scattered around on phones, old hard drives etc. I would consolidate all of them on this. Which would allow them all access to “all” of them.

2 Likes

I would use the Terra Master for my photos and VM’s. Running software which checks files like a mirror needs a lot of performance, so SSD’s and 10 GBiC would help.

2 Likes

Similar to Zibob - yes have a working decent local backup device

2 Likes

I’m a digital artist and a hobbyist photographer. So basically that’s what I’m mainly gonna use it for. To safely store my years worth of work

2 Likes

I am already backing up stuff. I’m a good boy! - I would use it as a fileserver at home, as I am trying to get rid of “spinning rust” in my PC. If possible, I would like to retire my Raspberry Pi Nextcloud as well. Have a great rest of March 2020 you all :).

2 Likes

Family Phones and other devices Back up. Maybe a Media storage…

2 Likes

I would really just use it for my
systems science studies.

1 Like

I would love to run this as a iSCSI or NFS host for my XCPNG cluster. I currently have a 4U box running freenas as network attached storage. If I somehow end up getting this thing, it would be 10G home network upgrade time.

2 Likes

I’m building out a micro VM cluster for testing this would save me from having to build another NAS

2 Likes

This would be used to back up everything I have and maybe start a plex server for my girlfriends movies.

1 Like

I would use it for a central backup of all devices at my Mom’s… Her and her husband have lost too much data from failed or stolen devices, and from falls that have destroyed a couple computers… This would be a huge help to them, and I’m not in a well enough financial position to purchase the equipment myself.

1 Like

hm learn more about raid setup :smiley:

1 Like