Email server for automated emails (nextcloud password reset, etc.)

Hi all,

Trying to full flesh out some of the services I have running. Notably Nextcloud and a few others that family members use. I am trying to figure out the best way to go about setting up the email client with a email service so that things like automated password recoveries and email notifications work correctly.

I currently have a O365 account married to my domain but it has been a massive PITA trying to get a email address hooked up to everything so that they can send automated emails. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have my own postfix/email server and just use that. I actually use the sendmail option since the nextcloud server is a satellite of the email server.

I imagine that other email services will let you connect and send email, although you might have to use an app password.

Running a email server is a full time job if you want to keep up with security vulns etc, not to mention making sure it’s not blacklisted so continue with your O365 account.

Just point everything to a stunnel daemon (which also makes it very easy to debug issues) and you’re done?

I used to run my email server publicly and stopped when all the big providers stopped accepting my emails because my server wasn’t complying with their latest scheme (yes, a long time ago).

Now, I pay for hosted email, but keep my server behind the firewall mainly for archiving purposes. It works really well for automated emails from my home lab.

I just started the project of setting up my main home server from scratch (mainly a hw upgrade, but also) in order to take advantage of new software architecture developments (most services will move into containers). I had a bear of a time setting up the email server (cyrus). Not that I do anything out of this world, but the software and documentation clearly has not improved in the last 15 years since I set it up last …

1 Like

I am thinking of using mailbox.org service as it is a good enough (privacy wise) and cheap enough (1€ /month) to be a good fit.

1 Like

Use something like Mailgun. It will hold your hand through setting up your domain and handle all the actual email overhead.

All you need to do is add the SMTP config they give you to Nextcloud (or whatever else) and you are good to go.

Take advantage of the free tier!

1 Like

Are they solid?
Sometimes I also look for something cheap. Although usually prefer free solutions. :wink:

Free domain (or paid) and dns from freedns.afraid.org, redirect / aliases email via improvmx.com, email account at Gmail / ProtonMail. Contrary to appearances, it works brilliantly, the problem is if you need to send mail from your own domain, but receiving mail is just right. :wink:

I purchased a lifetime sub to mxroute. I have been using their service for years to host my emails using my own domain. I have never had an issue with spam or delivery and have heaps of emails created.

No idea yet. It’s recommend by a privacy community. I guess it is probably only good at privacy and just “okay” at everything else. At the very least you are not the product.