Edward [Now with finished pics]

I prefer the OCCT test at medium test level i feel it’s more realistic for representing 100% load scenarios.

What all do you do under normal use? My CPUs have happily hit the 90s in Prime95 at some OC settings, under normal use they never went over the mid-70s. Usually P95 pushes max temps to 15-25C above what you hit normally. The small-FFT section, either run standalone or in the Blend test, is a super extra very worst-case load, not many real-world workloads push the CPU that hard.

rust compile - clean - compile loop had it sat at a comfortable 65°C

3 Likes

Use realistic workloads instead, not torture anything.
Handbreak or so will give you more realistic numbers.

I don’t care.
If thermals are in check and there is no paste in the socket, it is fine.

2 Likes

I thought about this reading the OP but figured you’d found it wouldn’t fit that way. I think it’s worth it to TIAS.

Turning the cooler will also give you a chance to see how well the paste spread and if there are any significant unevenness in the chip or heat pipes.

Umm what?

Please clarify

So I turned the cooler around. Immediately everything felt less cramped in the case.

So this paste application doesn’t look right to me. What did I do wrong?

Temps before turning the cooler: Idle 52,
Temps after turning the cooler: Idle 54. ish.

I didn’t bother reapplying the paste and I think I am paying for that sin, but its midnight, I am not about to start getting the isopropol out.

any ideas?

Looks good to me.
Heatspreaders are not flat, they got a curve to them. So that spread is fine.

2 Likes

So why am i idling over 50°C :frowning:

Several reasons:

• 3rd Gen Ryzen has such a layout of the chiplets, that in some cases only 1 heatpipe makes contact with the hotspots
  • That is a damn small cooler. I have the same in my secondary machine for size reasons, but it remains a small cooler
  • Ventilation in the case may not be great.

Also: My PC idles at 50°C too when my cat takes a nap in the warm air beeing pushed out the top.

1 Like

alright thanks,

The only conclusion for the temps jumping after turning the cooler around (as the airflow should be freer) is the paste is all messed up from being relocated, so I will clean up that mess at the weekend.

Note to self use computer as cat warmer.

1 Like

That’s a hell of a cpu for that cooler.

Mine idles mid 40s on water.

1 Like

Looks correct, IHS aren’t flat the high points will have less paste that’s why thermal paste is used in the first place, if everything was a perfect surface there would be no need for thermal paste.

if all else fails put a big dot in the middle that way you know no air pockets are doing anything weird, but like i said it looks okay

1 Like

Hmm OK. Load temps are still under control so :woman_shrugging: this is my first SFF build (although I am temped to call this Sub SFF) I am used to having a CPU cooler the size of this computer and idling just above ambient.

That is exactly what my GF said. Seems old wisdom might be the best.

“should be used with care on CPUs with more than 95W TDP” - Well I guess they ment it.

The frequency/voltage scaling on these CPUs can be ‘agressive’.

Not to mention TDP ratings are a bigger conspiracy than the reptilian regime.

1 Like

TDP ratings make about as much sense as the american paper scale

A pair of hot new chromax black fans, and a darn right sexy WX4100 arrived today,

For it’s size damn that GPU is fast, and with the new fans the PC is nearly silent.

Now that I have proper cooling the Idle temps are a bit lower.

anyone have any experience with the radeon-pro drivers on linux? There’s quite a few games that are not working on them.

12 Likes

10/10 from me!

Thanks for sharing, excellent build!

1 Like

killer build, did you not need the extra power for the m.2 to x16 adapter?