Dumbest/Funniest mistakes you have ever made on BSD/Linux/UNIX

Deleting the entire DE while uninstalling gimp.

2 Likes

Lol how’d you manage that?
I’ve deleted the DE as well when removing some gnome system stuff, but no biggie - just reinstalled gnome.

Once while drunk I accidentaly added ‘reboot’ to bashrc, instead of typing it in another terminal I thought was active. Thank god linux aint a single-user system.

1 Like

Not directly on Linux, but on installing Win 10 besides Linux. The WIndows Drive selection on Installation is the worst thing ever.
I have 4 Drives (3 SSD, 1 4TB HDD). I was trying to clean one of the SSD of all of it’s 4 Partitions. Any time you delete a partition the whole list reloads and puts a “Unused Space on …:” somewhere.
Well, i got 3 out of 4 correct. The fourth one was the Data partition on my 4TB HDD instead of my EFI Partition on the SSD. I noticed it .5 Seconds after clicking the “delete” button. Lost 3.4TB of Data and have never used the Windows Installer for Partitioning again. I always prepare the drive from Linux now.

Oh, and i deleted the Bootrecord, EFI Partition or Grub on Drives more often than i care to count…

1 Like

Got the popup window saying “these packages will also be removed”
As I pressed accept I glanced at saw that it said “cinnamon” but it was too late

3 Likes

I rendered my $600 dollar 3D monitor completely useless when I tried upgrading Ubuntu 16.4 to 17.4, while the monitor connected to my laptop. Now the monitor only displays the left side while the right is completely black. The lesson I learned that day always disconnected any equipment you don’t need when upgrading.

I thought a NVIDIA driver was bypassing Error code 43 on a Linux VM, but the actual cause was a version mismatch because of failed initramfs updates.

2 Likes

I have a file on a network share where I append (usually) bash commands that are useful enough I might want to use them again, but both complicated enough that I would probably forget the details and infrequent enough that they probably wouldn’t be in the default history the next time I go to look for them.

This morning I grep’d through my file and found it mostly empty. Turns out a couple months ago I fumble fingered an “append” when I, hit up, surrounded the previous command in echo " … " but then used “> bash_fu” instead of “>> bash_fu”. Fortunately my rsync backup strategy for that file takes snapshots for me. Considering how error prone my typing is, it’s a miracle this is the first time this has happened.

2 Likes

Used it.

1 Like

“Design” might be a bit generous. ls and rm and cp and such were just meant to be test programs for the filesystem. The shell was supposed to be a debugging interface for development. These things are legacy cruft that wasn’t really designed to be used at all.

Deleted user root.

Just pressed ctrl-alt-delete with the keyboard plugged into the wrong machine

sudo rm -rf'd a chroot with /dev, /sys and /proc bind mounted. Couldn’t even shut down, had to pull the plug.

3 Likes

Trying to prepare my new 3TB drive from Amazon. Don’t know what I did, but apparently I ended up resurrecting the old partition of my windows drive that is now my gaming drive. Lost every game, and now no matter what I do, Grub thinks old drive is a windows 10 os.

installing literally anything other than the one true GAHNUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

1 Like

I once copied a bunch of files from a usb backup

sudo cp -R /media/ME/usbback/* /home/ME/

noticed in the file browser the new files where owned by old user/root so i typed

sudo chown -R ME:ME ./*

but the console was in / at the time…FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

2 Likes

I wanted to delete a file that I made in /usr/bin and without thinking removed both the file and the entire usr directory… I have since learned to take snapshots lol.

1 Like

Installing i3

2 Likes

bait

4 Likes

Spending about 30+ minutes the other day screwing with SSH config, static IP settings, and dynamic DNS, to realize I had not restarted networking so I had no IP on my server.

Thinking /dev/random was truly random.