Doom Eternal adds ring 0 access Denuvo Anti Cheat, screwing all Proton users over

I think the simple answer is they just want as much control as possible to be as effective as possible.

I don’t think there’s any malicious intent behind it, but it’s not acceptable IMO. I’m glad I didn’t buy it yet. In fact, I’d like to look into what other games I already have that may have similar features and uninstall those.

This anti-cheat software is bad for the same reason that Apple claims they don’t want to build back-doors into their OS’s. It may be created with good intentions, but it potentially gives someone too much power in the event someone is able to exploit the software. And I think it’s safe to say we know the US government would take advantage in both situations.

PC gaming is becoming less and less attractive to me by the month it feels like. But there are other reasons for that too, not just invasive anti-cheat software. That’s a different topic though.

2 Likes

I bought a Switch just to get away from the downfall of PC gaming, with Epic and all the Anti-cheat companies leading that way.

2 Likes

…Because on a Switch you can’t even tell when such measures are installed?
Sounds like burning down the barn because the horse bolted

5 Likes

Yeah this. I got away from consoles because of the frustrating lack of ownership and opaqueness of the goings on. I may not like the current direction of some PC gaming stuff but I am not going to go back to console because of it.

Oh no I can’t get 91 at the pump… Guess it is back to horse and cart.

3 Likes

I mean, consoles exist. And one can sit back on a couch with beers and play sportsballgame with friends.
Does not appeal to me.
And I don’t have a couch
Or beers
Or interest in sportsballgames

Text here will be blurred

6 Likes

Xbox are the people that do this the most. They want to avoid interoperability deep down, even though game pass exists. In terms of the hardware, all of them want to avoid people doing what they want with the hardware. Xbox tops that list, Sony is second, and Nintendo is tied for second.

I got the Switch in case I had no choice in the future on popular games.

AAA will get more BS like this, I guarantee you. Sea of Thieves was just the beginning. That was the flagship title to mandate a Windows 10 and UWP upgrade, and it’s cancer.

actual reason I got a Switch was for Hat in Time on the go.

No, because it’s an appliance that has one job and any security risks in it are contained instead of infesting the machine I work on, write documents and manage my bank account with.

7 Likes

But it will almost certainly have your credit card and parsonal details and will be hacked too so what’s the difference? Smaller impact but still vulnerable in finances.

1 Like

… only what you allow it to have.

But even if you want to purchase stuff on a store instead of buying a cartridge / disc, you can have a prepaid credit card just for that. You have options to separate stuff. You don’t have that option on your daily driver PC.

Actually, you can just buy a gift card at a store with cash and add that to your account. I’ve been doing that for years on the Playstation.

3 Likes

But you do, its your PC. If you don’t want that info on it you don’t put it on it. Instead of limiting your gaming options with a console why not do you banking on a RasPi and have your PC for gaming and everything else that is not important?

It seems silly to build a gaming PC, get annoyed with a small set of developers and then spend more money to limit yourself with a console.

3 Likes

Because my daily driver is my PC.

1 Like

Well I guess this is another developer I can mark on the do not buy from list. Already have Capcom and EA on this list.

There are other games available other than AAA games controlled by corporations that focus on screwing over the customer.

Yeah, sure. “You don’t have to watch a movie, you can just read a book.” That is true of course. But sometimes you might like to watch a movie or play a big game. A console is a way to do that relatively safely.

Jim is doing what Jim does best on the topic.

Well yeah things like this unfortunately does not make pc gaming,
very appealing now days.

It’s not even acceptable when anti-virus do it (they can do their work perfectly fine without creating additional security holes), let alone for anti-cheat in a game…

A whole bunch of CVEs on anti-virus software in the last years were caused by them running elevated, mostly out of laziness (or incompetence, neither is reassuring). Given that supposed security software can’t get it right my expectations for Denuvo et al. are extremely low…

4 Likes

so I didn’t buy this game because I hated the direction of Doom 2016, no real mod system, it was built for micro transactions etc. Now I see they went full Denuvo and people are screaming.

Will this mean people don’t buy the next Bethesda game?

I find this doubtful.

1 Like

Maybe people had a change of heart :man_shrugging: .

I mean I’m sure everyone knows literally everything about what they’re getting themselves into before they do it. And nothing ever changes to make people dislike something that they liked before.

My thoughts as well. And as you mentioned, use prepaid cards and you can keep your payment info totally separate.

I find that keeping stuff separate also helps me to focus more, but that’s subjective of course.

If Bethesda decides not to implement the anti-cheat software in their next game, should people still not buy it?

what is to stop them from doing so after the fact?

1 Like

Yes I’ve seen devs to this clean game on launch, no microtransaction BS. Half a year into the game, release all the ugly monetization and stuff (Looking at you Spyro).

Also I’ve seen devs block stuff on a single player game so that it can sell you “solutions” to your gaming problem.

3 Likes