Doom Eternal adds ring 0 access Denuvo Anti Cheat, screwing all Proton users over

Maybe, but

I bought Doom 2016 and was thinking about eternal. Thank god I didn’t pay for a game that I wouldn’t be able to play now.

If this is the new normal it’s gonna be linux native only again for me and the rest on console.

5 Likes

Well at least doom 2016 works and has mods.

Fuck Bethesda if they think I’m buying Doom eternal

2 Likes

Yup, and this is exactly why

• apple would tell them to get fucked
  • I won’t be buying this
  • hopefully various hacking groups are working on a hack/rootkit to exploit this to demonstrate just how brain damaged it is.
1 Like

I bought the game and refunded it before this. Tbh it’s just boring. Bethesda took the worst parts of 2016 and made that the whole game. The artificial ammo scarcity and clunky mechanics make it feel slow and force you to play the same play style for the whole game.

Anything Bethesda touches becomes worse.

This just seals the deal for me on refunding being the correct move.

1 Like

To illustrate the danger of ring0 access…

https://blog.invisiblethings.org/2006/06/22/introducing-blue-pill.html

If you’ve not been following Joanna (of Qubes fame) at all this may blow your mind…

An exploitable ring0 process could be used to blue-pill a machine.

8 Likes

Honestly it comes down to the fact people don’t understand how vulnerable and unnecessary this is so devs get away with it. Anticheat could be sideloaded and still be just as effective idk why devs opt for this cancer.

2 Likes

This kills it for me because I was only interested in single player stuff. Damn.

10 Likes

Wow. The game has went from top of my wishlist straight to being dead to me. Impressive.

Doom 2016 is in my top three games of all time, it is a genuine masterpiece, and I don’t mean that lightly.

I was really looking forward to buying Eternal. What a shame.

4 Likes

i also love respawns idea to put all cheaters in a different pool of players.

6 Likes

so easy anser is to check for roundness of eyes?

They way it reads it sounds like you can uninstall Denuvo but it just disables multiolayer and the rest works? Can anyone confirm?

Best to move the entire denuvo directory temporarily rather than outright deleting. If stuff fails, it usually is reversible.

What about cracking the game? does it work with proton? I have mixed results with cracks some work some don’t.

People predicted right. Proton really became a double edged sword.

1 Like

What do you need cracks for? And how is proton to blame for not working flawlessly with those?

Bethesda leaked a DRM-free executable early through the Bethesda launcher. It’s floating around somewhere.

1 Like

Nope, it requires Denuvo Anti Cheat to boot the game.

With Ring 0 access to a USB webcam, unfortunately that could actually happen. Valorant’s Anti Cheat already has caused redirection of USB packets.

Ugh. I don’t understand why game companies want root access to your computer these days. Besides, who tf plays DOOM online?

3 Likes

Could be for a faster, easier solution rather than investing in proper security measures? Or they want this level of access for other reasons, won’t unless we’re security. Companies like bethesda like to exploit trust.

2 Likes