Do I need to consider G Sync when buying a new Monitor?

Okay, so I’ve been planning on getting a new monitor for some time now and I more or less know what I want.

27 inch
IPS Panel
4K UHD (3840x2160)

But it has been a while since I bought a monitor and I don’t know If I should or shouldn’t get one with G Sync.

Acer S276HLTMJJ

This is the monitor I’ve been using for the past 3-4 years and I never experienced any screen tearing of any sorts. (At least none that I could remember) I play almost every game genre except for First-person shooters.

Should I or shouldn’t I get a G-Sync monitor and why?

Quickie question. Whats better 2 2K monitors or 1 4K Monitor?

No, get a “gsync compatible” display to save $200. Number of monitors versus resolution comes down to personal preference. But remember if you plan to game at 4k, you will need a pretty high-end GPU.

4 Likes

I have one, and I have been in love with it ever sense. I don’t get the hate.

Mine runs most games at 165hz. Stock is 144hz but it’s easily over clocked. You will see a huge difference in your games. 970 was great and 1080 was even better. I’m at 1440p, 4k wasn’t that great. Felt like that spark was missing, so I went back to 1440p.

A lot of games are optimized for it, but you’ll have to turn off v-sync. When I play on another monitor it doesn’t drive me crazy, but I definitely miss mine. Makes applications and windows move all glossy/glassy too. Really slick man.

@AnotherDev I actually want a 4K monitor for work stuff but I was planning on using it to play on 1440p. That should be fine right?

Also, the refresh rate. I haven’t tried anything above 60hz. So I wasn’t planning on getting a high refresh rate monitor but does having a high refresh rate make a big difference?

@Ruffalo Thanks I didn’t know there is such thing as gsync compatible. I have a 1080 atm. I think I should be able to run most game with it.

Yes, Nvidia basically supports freesync now. No reason to pay out the $200 Nvidia tax.

1440p won’t look great scaled down from 4k, but it should be fine for gaming and watching media. GTX1080 is fine for 1440p, not so much for 4k.

2 Likes

Whats the catch?

My advice would be to find a monitor that is gsync and then look for a freesync counterpart. They may not be ideal but theres more to gsync than just variable refresh.

People crapped on gsync but I think that was just ignorance of the idea as a whole. They just saw the added price and seemingly no benefit, but there was more than met the eye there. I wont get into the morals or debate the merit, but you might want to consider those panels because they will be higher quality than any ol freesync panel.

2 Likes

I think most people would find any monitor Nvidia certifies as gsync compatible to be perfectly fine. If you go off the reservation and enable freesync on a non-certified monitor, maybe or maybe not.

2 Likes

For G-Sync, yeah. If you’re going at 60hz I don’t think you need G-Sync.

2 Likes

Of course you do, unless your GPU can sustain a locked 60fps at all times.

That said even cheap freesync monitors typically go up to 75Hz.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s definitely been the best monitor I’ve had for a while. I can’t find anything to replace it, and I’ve looked at curved for a while.

I think the refresh is a better benefit, but there are a lot of reasons to get it.

2 Likes

The FreeSync monitors I’ve used had screen tearing issues and looked dull. The monitor I have now has been one of the best upgrades I’ve done in a while, second to getting SSDs in 2013 or so.

Tearing was likely because the VRR window wasn’t large enough, common on cheapo freesync monitors. Dullness again is just a low-quality panel. Nvidia certification does require a wider VRR window.

A lot of work and effort actually went into what gsync means. I will probably be looking into one myself after my experience with cheap monitors.

Depends, but judging by your profile you spend lot of time playing games, and for this reason I’d say the extra 200$ or so Nvidia G-Sync tax would make sense for you. Friend got 1440 G-Sync monitor and daym that looked nice.

G-Sync compatible/Freesync displays are nice too, you just have to do bit more research to find nice one. :slight_smile:

Needles to say you will also need to have Nvidia card for G-sync.

This also depends what you want/need. I would take 2 1440p monitors instead of one 4K. I don’t see the appeal in 4K gaming, at least not yet. And I like to keep stuff like Discord open on secondary monitor while playing games.

1 Like

If he wasn’t planning on getting a high refresh rate display and games is just an aside to his need for a work monitor, I’m not sure getting g-sync for a narrow refresh window is a good value?

I don’t think he said what platform he games on either? That can effect support for variable refresh. IPS is certainly getting better but can have issues with response time which can cause ghosting if it’s too high.

You can get all the things but it will be pricey probably. That said I did get a high refresh monitor myself recently. It can be nice but you’ll have to pay for it. TL:DR if you’re going to get G-sync go all in and get the nicest monitor you can afford I’d say. Otherwise I don’t understand paying the tax.

1 Like

Just read thread bit further.

You need to get quite big monitor if you want to use native 4K resolution without scaling. If you don’t mind scaling then this should not be a problem.

I considered buying 4K display myself, but after realizing I would need roughly 40 inch display for native 4K (without any scaling) to be usable, I opted to go for 1440p for now.

1 Like

@Novastark I definitely need an IPS panel and that alone already makes the type of monitor I want expensive. But adding G-sync and high refresh rate, the cost would be too much for me. (Unless I find a really good deal, which I doubt) I do plan to buy to best monitor for me budget.

@Even747 I found myself considering 2 2K display after reading but I’ll probably only buy it If the deal is way better than a 4K one. I guess we’ll see.

1 Like

That raises another option. 1 gaming high refresh rate 1440p monitor with what ever you choose as the VRR tech and 1 regular 1440p monitor. There are more options for bother Freesync and Gsync in the 1440p range and more competition for features and price. And then you can save a bit on the other one of you want to go the route.

1 Like

You could always wait then. I mean get the work screen now, find some gaming monitor options, and then wait to see if they go on sale. Though you’re really not going to see a massive reduction unless it’s seriously older tech. TN panels have fast response time so ghosting is almost a none issue if you’re at 1ms, the color accuracy can be mixed bag but if you read reviews you can find one that isn’t horrible, and ultimately it gives you time to make your own decision over the G-sync vs Freesync debate. Unless of course you don’t have room for a second screen.

Just keep in mind that that the higher resolution you go the lower frame rate your 1080 is going to be able to output unless you start turning down graphics settings. If you were to go 4k for example there would probably be some newer games that you’d have to set to almost a low detail to get at a decent FPS. Things get more manageable at 2k, and obviously HD is the easiest on your GPU. So it’s up to you what is more important, FPS, game detail, or absolute resolution.

1 Like