Do I need to consider G Sync when buying a new Monitor?

I have a gsync monitor and like it. But you might look into the free sync monitors that are gsync compatible. They are usually a lot cheaper. Gsync carries a pretty large fee.

2 Likes

I found a lot of misguided answers that I wont go into.
tl;dr Yes if you are buying an expensive panel that will be upgraded or survives for years. I still found use for my 3008WFP from over 10 years ago.

Otherwise long answer: The gsync price on a good monitor is rather insignificant part of the cost. Monitors like that are long lasting values that depreciate slowly. Even if you do not plan to use it - you might eventually change your mind or use a different panel and sell it.

GSync is not designed to be used only for High Refresh rate gaming. In fact those people do not care about tearing that much as preventing tearing costs time anyway. GSync is there to combat inconsistent frame timing that plagues anybody, even with 60Hz monitor. It will not function well below ~35FPS, but at that point who cares.

People always talk about variable refresh rate as a solve for that problem without realizing that it does not solve the problem - it mitigates the symptoms as best as the monitor can handle. This is why the certification exists - the implementation ranges from horrible to decent.

To give you some food for thought - VSync was a horrible penalty that causes annoying stuttering and it survived until today. Everytime somebody is going to talk about “I found no difference”, “Just an NV tax” or “it is amazing”, take that under consideration.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s insignificant to you but the OP already said that he couldn’t afford G-Sync with High Refresh. I guess the point your making is that G-sync even with a lower refresh is worth it? I wonder about that. Certainly it might be helpful at 4K when you’re doing good to even hit 60hz. Being able to sync in the 30-60hz range isn’t a bad thing. At any rate it just feels like people are trying to push their opinion on him without considering his side of things. This is turning into more of a Team A vs Team B than actual suggestions or info.

To each their own.

Not to mention gsync is more than just VRR.

It accounts for brightness, backlight uniformity, color range and accuracy.

Gsync is so much more than freesync it’s not an apples to apples comparison.

2 Likes

AHEM

G-Sync is mostly like FreeSync except the FPGA aka “G-Sync module” that does some trickery should a new frame be ready before the current one is done beeing drawn eliminating the “lag” of repeating frames.

Buying a 400€ freesync monitor Vs the same monitor but with gsync is a 600€ expense. A 60% price hike is pretty significant in my books.

1 Like

That is why there is a prefix about a the price of the monitor, Top shelf monitors are expensive as hell. If you are buying a cheap monitor gsync or high refresh rate should not be your concern at all.

The difference is huge, just try to use a variable refresh rate monitor with a small window (Like those with window from 48 to 75) and you will se the difference immediately (or not at all since you focus statements that allow to argue for your team.) The monitors I am talking about start far away from $1000.

GSync adds $200 to the cost of the monitor, calling that insignificant is simply untrue for the vast majority of monitors sold.

The problem with “you might change your mind later on and use it” is that Gsync is Nvidia-only, while VRR (ie, Gsync compatible) works on both Nvidia and AMD.

The other stuff you mentioned, color uniformity, variable refresh window, etc, all matter, and it’s useful that Gsync mandates quality standards there, but you can get the same features and quality on VRR monitors without paying for the hardware Gsync module. You just need to read reviews and do your homework before buying.

1 Like

Any video/article/study to back that claim up?

Both technologies aim to fix the exact same problem, difference beeing one “needs” an FPGA (GSync notebooks dont have the module).

So… Monitors like the EIZO FS2735 or what?
Of course they would be better than a 120€ Philips panel!
What is the FUCKING POINT? An expensive piece of equipment better be worth the extra money spent on it!

There is your market:

Now try enter that with your monitor that costs 300€ more than the machine that powers it!

1 Like

I’d like to thank everyone for their advise and suggestions. I found a really good deal and took it. $320 for a refurbished Asus PG27AQ.

3 Likes

Nice dude! That’s similar to the model I have (my monitor doesn’t have the ASUS eye that glows, just the red circle).

Definitely keep us updated on your experiences.

2 Likes

What is this? The average gaming on Steam?

1 Like

Yea, I didn’t expect that I’ll be able to get this monitor for this price.
I’ll update if anything interesting happens.

2 Likes

Yeah, probably the hardware survey on steam.

Grats, that’s one hell of a discount.

1 Like