Distro for Semi-Advanced Users?

Looks legit ;) I'm confused with how many package sources and stuff there are for OpenSUSE...

There are alot... though X11: Factory or Current for cinnamon will suffice.. if you are willing to give it a shot... but by no means do you have to :D....

Just remember no matter what distro you have.. you need to trust the repo... before you go installing software :D

Ever considered XFCE? I'm using it after having used Cinnamon and I got it to look so much better by downloading and modifying HackStation and NouveGnome Red icons from Gnome-look.

Okay, I installed Fedora on a virtual machine, tried to setup Cinnamon and... everything went perfect! I got the latest version perfectly working just with yum. It looks like I will get Fedora when the new version comes out in a month unless there is something wrong with Fedora or a better distro. I will learn and play more with it till then ;)

I use it at work. It's pretty rock solid IMHO.

Most users of a distro are pretty fanatic about it, which is why the Linux community is so fractured. openSUSE users seem to be an especially vocal group on these forums, but I may just be biased.

Slackware is the oldest linux distro thats still active, it is conservative and simplistic.

CentOS is a free version of Linux RedHat; the distro is extremely stable, and nice - most hosting companies use it. (CentOS is like big hosting company brother of Fedora)

Hi Gachr,
it's probably not what you asked for but:
I wouldn't care that much about the distro at all.
There are distros which force you to do 'advanced' stuff but that doesn't necessarily mean that you can't do most of that on any other user friendly distro if you want to.

You can become a command line + bash scripting pro and learn how to compile from source in Linux Mint, you can play around with servers and networking stuff and learn the basic admin tasks on Ubuntu, you can learn programming on any distro and so on.

You can use Arch and still only learn the few things which you need to run your system and install software and you can use Ubuntu but read several books and spend a few hours a day with learning about Linux.
In which case do you become an advanced user? ;)
That distro hopping and discussions are a little bit overdone at our days IMHO.

You should rather ask yourself what actually are the advanced things you wanna do and start to do them on whatever distro you like.
When you really spend a lot of time in the terminal or with cli apps you may want to look at other desktop environment like tiling WMs more than other distros as they really influence your workflow.

What do you mean with you hated yaourt?
It's only a helper for the AUR, you can compile software with makepkg and install it or use any other helper, that really doesn't speak against Arch, in fact Yaourt isn't even supported by the Arch developers, it's really just a third party thing

Antergos is a great option for people who want something pretty, easy to install but is actually still for fairly advanced users.

Antergos is a distro that is 100% Arch compatible so all the awesome stuff you can do in Arch can be done in Antergos but the barrier to entry is not as high.

Antergos is not a derivative of Arch it is essentially just Arch with extra polish . . . it is hard to explain because the type of distro that Antergos is doesn't exist anywhere else.

Anyway, check it out - http://antergos.com

@masmullin
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind ;)

@anon5205053
Okay, I might check those out :)

@Balu
Yes, I understand it. I want to do those things, and I want a more advanced distro, but I don't really blend those things together ;) I've used Arch, so I learnt a lot of things in terms of how the system is constructed.

@RottNKorpse
I was using Antergos for a long while, but like I said before; the DE broke and I really hated yaourt and the way to get programs that aren't in the official repos.

Pacaur is a very popular option but what do you hate about yaourt?

The DE broke? Which DE were you using at the time?

He said he didn't want to have to compile everything but that is exactly what Slackware requires.

CentOS is a Server distro and is not at all meant to be used as a Desktop and sorry to say but that is a terrible suggestion for a desktop distro.

This is a good idea but Fedora needs RPMFusion and Copr to be a full reliable distro. Actually, it is in beta still but @Gachr check out Ozone OS if you want a really cool Fedora derivative.

I completely agree, that is the beauty of Linux. You can pretty much do everything you want to on any distro at all. Advanced users can accomplish absolutely anything they want on any distro regardless of purpose of the distro. I used to use Linux Mint because of that reason actually, well and also laziness. :)

I hate the whole concept with AUR.

Cinnamon.

I really like Fedora, like I said before. Could you please explain me the whole RPMFusion and Copr thing?

Ok then that is not related to yaourt then. Why do you hate the concept of the AUR, most people love it so I am curious why you hate it.

Unfortunately, Cinnamon works best on Linux Mint and is very hit or miss everywhere else. Linux Mint project builds Cinnamon but they build it only for Mint have publicly stated that they do not care if it works on any other distro and will not put in any work to make it work on other distros.

GNOME, LXDE, MATE, etc all work great on Antergos though. :)

RPM Fusion is a 3rd-party proprietary-friendly repo. They have RPMs for apps that Fedora refuses to support in the official repos.

Copr is Fedora's answer to Ubuntu's PPAs to easily get updates and software outside of the requirement of the main repo. Copr is also restricted to the philosophy of "Free Software Only" just like the main repo. Copr is actually still in Beta and not available to mainline Fedora. (I play with beta stuff all the time. :) )

The practical way... I don't like it, period ;)
Thanks for the other answers :)
I think I might switch from Cinnamon to KDE.

Do you not have any reasons for hating it? I am not trying to be a jerk, I find it very interesting that someone wouldn't like the AUR and I am just curious why.

KDE is great but fair warning, KDE is in the KDE4 -> FW5 transition right now on Arch so the situation is a bit chaotic right now. It is still possible to run KDE4 if you want or Plasma5 if you want but there will be some issues for you to solve. :)

I would recommend Fedora

Okay guys, my current installation is breaking, so it looks like I will need to install Fedora without waiting for the new release to come out. The question is, how well is updating Fedora going? Will it go smoothly and upgrade to Plasma 5 without issues?

Plasma 5 is okay on Open Source drivers with fedora.. as wayland support with proprietary drivers on plasma 5 well is broken... I have tried several times.. so stick with OS drivers and you should be fine.. I would say if you want plasma 5 here is the hierarchy of current functionality
Kubuntu 15.04 > Opensuse KDE 5 Base > Fedora Plasma 5 Spin

So there is Fedora with Plasma 5 available? Could you me please link to it? And what version of OpenSUSE has got Plasma 5?
So you suggest that I should use open drivers on Fedora & KDE? I usually get artefacts on open drivers with my GPU.

Yeah well not a spin sorry lols..
GO here
https://community.kde.org/Plasma/InstallingNext

OpenSUSE has it in there repos .. when you go through the normal install of the Full 4.7gb iso... you will come to a software finalization page and you can go click plasma 5 base system and it will do plasma 5 as the default... :D