Difficulties with Ryzen Overclocking Python Script

Hi everyone. Thank you for being patient with me, a Linux n00b.

I’ve attempted to follow the instructions for Ryzen Linux overclocking provided by @catsay found at:

The topic is closed and I can’t make a reply to that one with my question.

My question is when I attempt to run the script,

sudo ./zenstates.py  -l

It just simply states that there is no such file or directory.

sudo: unable to execute ./zenstates.py: No such file or directory

I appreciate anyone who is able to help me figure out what I am doing wrong. Thank you.

is this an executable? Is the file in your $PATH

Thanks for replying!

I guess it would be an executable. I just simply followed the instructions literally. I changed into the directory to make sure I could run the script but… no dice. It seems I am somewhat lost.

Typing ls shows the python script.

1 Like

I’ll have a look at the script

1 Like

to exec a python file like that i guess you need to make sure it has the right permission with chmod 755, but before that i’d question why you do it that way or why you need sudo in the first place. normally it’s just python3 zenstates.py.

1 Like

Ideally, I’m trying to underclock a Ryzen Embedded CPU I have for an experiment and wondering how slow I can go while maintaining acceptable levels of performance for several networking experiments I have.

Trying CPUFREQUTILS yielded me nothing. While I know the processor is locked, the motherboard doesn’t have the UEFI utility to change the multiplier and many locked CPUs can be lowered.

It’s the R1505G SoC.

A, Are you sure your terminal is in the same directory as zenstates.py ?

B, Do you have python installed? Try running python. The error message may well refer to you not being able to find the python executable, rather than your script.

1 Like

It’s a fresh install of Ubuntu 19.10. I know Python3 is installed.

Yes it’s in the folder.

Should I install regular Python?

I’m not familiar with the script. You’ll have to check whether it needs python 2 or 3. My point is though that python has to be callable as python. If yours is called python3 and the script is invoking python then you’ll obviously get a No such file or directory error.

4 Likes

Thank you. I’ll try that.

Edit: Works now. Thank you!

Could you post what you did, for historical purposes?

Absolutely, I shall do so on Monday when I have access to that board again.

1 Like
sudo apt-get install python
2 Likes

Sometimes it’s the simplest things…

Which speaks to a larger problem, Ubuntu doesn’t have python installed by default?

2 Likes

I think this is related

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Python-2-EOL-Ubuntu-20.04

19.10 gets a lot of “latest releases” so Python2 would have been removed prior to being standardized in the newest LTS.

2 Likes