Desperate Linux fan needs some help... V-V

bingo!
this form of direct cable connection allows you to connect 2 devices directly and completely isolated from any other network device.
since it does not use a router no other device can monitor its traffic.
I do a lot of forensic work with systems that should not be put on a network in order to prevent any possible contamination to or from an external network.
as data recovery for evidence has to be immaculate pertaining to the sha5 amd md5 hashes they absolutely must match between the work copy and original or else the evidence is useless in a court of law.
so we are talking specialized situations here.

for most other cases or application a crossover cable is not used because the router or switch handles the crossover function needed

My point was that any modern nic doesn’t require it. Switch or no switch.

But, if you’re implementing your own Ethernet in fpga for some reason and are lazy to implement Ethernet fully, or you’re using a crappy 20 year old industrial piece of equipment that was based on obsolete tech when it was new – maybe you could use one, there’s plenty of stuff like that coming out of the woodwork.

It’s not a thing anyone should need to buy/sell anymore.

Also, apologies for the off topic discussion while we wait for an OP to provide us with some kind of log that mentions xhci or usb or a lspci readout with details of the USB controller.

1 Like

I have an MSI 970gaming board with an fx8320. It’s really not a great board and is complete crap compared to some of the 990fx boards I have previously owned.

Anyhow, I can confirm that on my board iommu and the usb3 controller are disabled and Ubuntu 18.04 works fine, as do all usb 2 ports.

Well yeah i guess it kinda depends on which usb 3.0 controller is used on that said board.
Because its a third partie controller.

I would suggest to try Ubuntu 18.04 or 18.10, to see if that helps.
Or linux mint 19.x
If you want something not ubuntu based, maybe MX linux which is directlly based on Debian.

quite alright! part of my job at work was integrating old and new technology in order to keep production equipment running and complying with communications standards required by corporate.
I spent a lot of time designing and building interface boards and cabling to “Talk” to 50 year old automated machinery (spent almost as much time reading outputs with an o-scope as I did with a monitor viewing output data in the plc logging software)
(Its a wonder i still had any hair left when i retired)

back to the subject linux distros may not have the driver codes for the absolute latest technologies quite often because there are still some industries that are hidebound and stick with windows and mac.
even when technology is shared its distribution hinges upon a developers desire and effort to acquire and implement it.
many times the updates issued in linux are as much new drivers as there are security updates.
Here is where forums are the best tool! If you are having a hardware issue and post it here, If it is resolved by a driver or configuration change then you post the fix used!
if it s crucial enough the moderators or admin sticky the topic and fix.

Cool I will just test it this Monday and if it works no more OS hunting! :smiley: (got to test Android x86 on my Atom powered Laptop tough made it sorta usable. :stuck_out_tongue: )

I have Linux Mint on now, looks ok if I have issues I may jump back to Ubuntu! :wink:

1 Like

Linux mint and Ubuntu share the same base pretty much.
But it kinda all depends on which kind of desktop envoirement you like.
I personally like Mint allot, its a very well put together distro that is rock sollid.

Tried to disable it no go still… (will disable SVM and then try this…)

Or/Also edit /etc/default/grub

and add to where … are the other option present in there (normally splash and quiet)

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="… iommu=soft"

then do update-grub command, and reboot. if you want to test it this workaround “works”, just press E on a GRUB entry from the USB live bootloader and add after the quiet and splash parameters iommu=soft

Does not seem like it worked sadly. x.x