Desk PC Audio Setup Recommendations

My mobo is Asrock z390 Taichi and I have a dac/amp FiiO K5PRO. If those can help at all.

What setup are you coming from? Even a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 setup would make 99% of people extremely happy. I’d recommend this option if you’re trying to save money.

I also really like the JBL 305P MkII.

1 Like

+1 on a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 for inexpensive setups. I moved off of it to an audioengine hd3 (2.0, didn’t get the sub cause it’d take a $350 setup to a $700 setup) and regret it – a $30 MS lifechat headset sounds better than the HD3’s do when you don’t have the sub to fill out the rest of the sound.

The Promedias do take some time to break in though, and IME they were quite bright (and harshly, almost painfully so) until they did. Took a couple of weeks for them to mellow out. But I was listening to more things with brass sections or EDM at the time. Probably fine for OP’s listening preferences.

1 Like

This helps :slight_smile:
Man it is turning out to be much more difficult than the ‘what linux distro should I choose’ question.
Please keep in mind that what you want to achieve (good sounding audio output for a given set of audio sources) is one of the most subjective and open to interpretation tasks you night ask.
Everyone’s ear has a different sensitivity, everyone has its own meter for what ‘good quality of an audio signal’ and to complicate things every speaker/amp combo has a sweet spot of voulme and quality that might or might not be your sweet spot in term of listening volume.
Also, the more you add cables/splitters/legs to your audio chain the more you will risk something not sounding right, let alone good …

So, out of all the options mentioned so far if my budget was around 500USD and given your very good DAC, I’d spring for a pair of Klipsch R-51PM.

They will be above all the 2.1 crap that logitech and all other companies sell in term of power and quality, and you might be satisfied about how they sound without needing a sub.
In case you are not satisfied and you do need a sub they do have a sub out that will already provide the right signal for it
They also have an internal dac (that will probably be less good than the one you already have)

If you can order from Amazon or a place that accepts free returns, try it out, see if you like it, and if not at least you have a reference for what to try next

This is what I would do

For Reference, I have a pair of Iloud MTM Monitors as my pc speakers,

download (3)

I have a pair of Klipsch RP-600M and a pair of JBL control 28 in my home theather (powered by a denon amp) and a pair of JBL 4411 powered by a NAD amp or a Carver amp depending on my mood … so I can vouch for the need to try things out to see if they meet your needs.

Klipsch
images (1)

JBL 4411
images

Previous desktop monitors were a logitech 2.1 setup (trash),

a pair of M-Audio Bx5a (not bad),

download (1)

a pair of pioneer S-DJ108 (very good, too big as desktop speakers)

download (2)

5 Likes

Crappy old dell stereo speakers lol

This is one of the updated models to the pair I have

Can confirm this is true! Haven’t needed to get the sub personally but that’s just my choice!

1 Like

Does Dell really provide anything good in the consumer market?

If I do go Klipsch I am thinking the R-50M. I may try them out because of amazon. I heard they have a specific type of sound, but it favors more high/mid I think? The person I spoke to recommended more neutral speakers.

I did buy everything I mentioned above already. The speakers are the only thing that would be a pain to return and possibly lose money on unfortunately. Ebay had the best deal on them.

No, I just bought 2 qdoled monitors(alienware AW3423DW) and they provide a shitty cheap display-port cable that can’t match the refresh-rate of the monitor. One of them 4 days in has stuck red pixels, which is unacceptable for a $1050 monitor. But, to be honest they have the best warranties out of all the computer brands(former dell tech).

If you have any sort of electronics store near you (best buy / microcenter ) take a listen to them their if possible. granted not the best place to listen but it should be able to give you at least a partial image as to how they will sound. They do tend to favor the mids and highs but it’s stupid easy to add a sub to the setup. Just a simple rca cable!!!

I am fortunate that I am next to both those stores. I’m pretty dead set on having a sub no matter what. I like bass. I got 2 Kicker L7 12" subs in the daily driver lol. I want to add a sub to my 71 corvette.

Stuck pixels on any new monitor is unforgivable especially at over $1K!

Never understood why companies cheap out on the cables … not like they can’t pass on the cost and make the whole experience that much better out of the box!!!

Agreed, have both, I wanted to try bookshelf speakers as a second set of speakers for work.

1 Like

welp. it prob would have made me satisfied. But, I like to do it once and do it right the first time. That way I never have to go back and replace or redo anything. I want it to last a long time without needing to replace anything. I want quality.

Sounds like you already ordered the bookshelf setup. Did you make sure to get a amp that can support both speakers and sub?

1 Like

Fully agree!!!

1 Like

I did order everything; but I am still open to suggestions. I am being told that the amp will be fine for my use case. The sub has high level connection for the speakers.

PC → K5 → A07 → Subwoofer → speakers is the setup

1 Like

I mean worse case if you ordered off of amazon you can always return within a month

1 Like

I got everything but the speakers off amazon.

2 Likes

Do I order the klipsch and compare?

1 Like