Decent Speakers, desktop use for now 200-400€

Hey guys,
I’ve been thinking about stepping up my sound game from a cheapo logitech 2.1 system (I do however already have a pair of decent headphones).
As I will have them on my desk for the foreseeable future, size is also a concern I have, which is why I’ve been looking at the audioengine A2+ speakers.

Yet I have also considered a little larger speakers like the A5+.

Now what am I looking for: I wouldn’t describe my self as audiophile (been using these logitechs for a while and didn’t think they were half bad duh), so I’d like a fun/easy listening experience (not necessarily looking for 100% flat neutral response).

What would be some options if I were to stay with a formfactor comparable to the A2+? Does anyone have experience with using A5+ (or similar) as desktop speakers? (Would those give me more flexibility e.g. using them as living room speakers in the future?)

Budget: Sub 500€ is a must, preferred 200-400.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any other tips for me while shopping for such a pair of speakers!

Cheers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had the A5+s for a month or so at the start of the year. They sound great - on a par with bookshelf speakers/amp combo for the same price. Used them both from a DAC, and with a Chromecast Audio.

Had a problem with a driver which became unglued, so I ended up returning them for a refund (was looking to reduce how many things I have, so ended up with a Sonos). Apart from that issue (which would’ve been fixed with a replacement), they were great speakers. Good separation, and pretty impressive bass for their size.

If you want more desk space, the A2+s with an active subwoofer could make a good alternative for a similar price to the larger A5+s.

2 Likes

Thanks for giving your impressions, sadly I have not listened to a lot of speakers yet, so it is much appreciated!

Also thank you for adding the tags :wink:

2 Likes

No problem!

Looks like that was @Goalkeeper

2 Likes

Z Review likes the Swans M200MkIII

The Bowers & Wilkins 607 will make super nice shelf speakers, but you need an amp for them (and that might blow the budget).

1 Like

Speaking of Z Review, he also recommended the Topping MX3 as a better alternative to the SMSL mini digital amp. Paired with a decent pair of speakers, it would be great.

I still like active monitors like my pair of KRK Rokit 6 G3. But I am mostly using them casually for music because I use headphones for anything I actually pay attention to.

I’m in the same situation so I’ll be watching this thread

1 Like

I’ll always recommend the Swan m50w speakers. They aren’t monitors but they are good all rounders. Bass is a little warm but the volume and clarity you get from them are great. Been a while since I got my pair but they should be sub 300 usd.

The Dayton bookshelf line is pretty OP. Rivals speakers in your price range but they come in at $35 a pair. Subs are around $80. Sink the rest into a GOOD amp/dac so you can go to better speakers later if that’s your thing. Even going from the logis to the Daytons + a cheapo lepay amp will blow your mind.

Just some input as I’m indifferent on my purchase of the Klipsch 2.1 setup.
They sound very good now, but initially had a crackle noise at high volume. I disassembled one of the boxes and found the wires were smashed between the housing and speaker. The crackle was fixed after proper assembly.
Otherwise I really like them.

€175

I just bought a set of elac uni-fi ub5 with a lepai 1601s amp. It’s a little out of your preferred price range but well worth imo. They are fantastic speakers for the price.

I also bought some daytons but the towers t652. People say Dayton audio punches above their price point but I disagree. They sound how I expect they should for the price. That’s not to say they aren’t good. They are capable speakers for sure. If you just want cheap sound they are the way to go.

With

And then whatever passive sub setup you want

Or

This is what I run in my garage. It’s not half bad and pretty cheap. The amp is lacking for the power the speakers can take but it’s plenty loud for comfortable listening.

My current setup

It’s fucking amazing.

1 Like

Time to think outside the box:

Most all in one speakers are crap.

Get yourself a 5.1 receiver and a decent pair of speakers. A good AAA PC game can leverage home theatre equipment BETTER than a Blu Ray can

1 Like

That little amp looks cool, do you use it for headphones at all?

Not all speakers with built in amplification are crap but there certainly are a lot of them. Plus if you lose the amp you’re sol. Tear the speaker down to replace or build your own crossover and go passive.

I agree get a receiver if you can. Budget limitations is why I recommend a stereo class d.

@SudoSaibot

It’s a pretty good little amp for what it is. There are a few quirks. I use iems so they don’t really need much power to begin with. I don’t see it having much problem with something like 32 ohm cans.

That is actually a pretty good point.
Without a good source for audio signal, even the best speakers will only produce mediocre sound.

How much do the Yamaha hs5’s cost in Europe?

These? 170€

1 Like

Yeah, those. They are supposed to be really good.

170*2 is 340. So it comes out to the near top of the preferred budget. :thinking:

339€ when you buy this bundle wich also includes foam isolation pads (to be placed between speaker and thing that may vibrate).

As a headsup: The inputs on the HS5’s are balanced, meaning a TRS plug (=6.3mm stereo / 1/4" stereo jack) may result in wierd sound when using an unbalanced signal source.

1 Like