Damaged Chipset Heatsink

Hi guys. I am worried. This is my first build. I have an MSI B450 Tomahawk. Last night, while installing the motherboard, it slipped off the standoffs rather violently and there is what I would describe as a dent or a gouge on the chipset heatsink (the mobo hit the sharp edge of the drive bays). I am building the pc slowly; I purchase a new part with each paycheck. That being said, I cannot validate whether damage has been done or not. I don’t care if the damage is cosmetic, but does anyone think that it could be worse than just an unsightly gouge? The build is contained in a CORSAIR Carbide 100R Silent, so it won’t be seen anyway. Thanks for your input!

2 Likes

Hey, welcome to the forum… Stay away from the furries and it will all be fine…
On topic, does the board function? If it works I don’t see any reason to be worried. If nothing else this dent gives the heatsink extra surface area to radiate the heat…
Seriously, though, if the only damage is the heatsink I see no reason why the board wouldn’t work…

3 Likes

I don’t think he got the all the parts yet

1 Like

That’s assuring, thank you! Thus far, I have the following:

*AMD Ryzen 2700x
*Wraith Prism Stock CPU Cooler
*CORSAIR Carbide 100R Silent
*MSI B450 Tomahawk
*Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

That being said, I cannot test anything yet. Also, I am really unsure what type of GPU I need. Therefore, I am really trying to consider what I need the GPU to do.

1 Like

if the only damage is the shiny bit on the heatsink, you’ll be fine.
If it gauged any PCB bid, then it might be dicey

3 Likes

Correct, not yet. Slowly but surely it’s getting there.

1 Like

You don’t have an old gpu to throw in there to just test out?

2 Likes

Nope, this is my first build.

2 Likes

or borrow off a mate / relative

1 Like

Ayyyy. I knew the feeling of building my first PC.

2 Likes

I appreciate your input! I think it’s just the shiny bit.

1 Like

I doubt it’s a problem. Seems superficial to me.

Good luck with the build.

2 Likes

You still remember that? Was it even in color back then?
Were there valves involved?
Nixie tubes?
Steam?

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for chiming in. It’s that I have been trying to be very meticulous with part selection, but once it came to the assembly, I am learning as I go. I had dropped a screw in the case, and was trying to shake it out, but I forgot that I had unfastened the mobo to do some cable management, and it just popped off the standoffs and crashed into the sharp edge on the drive bays.

1 Like

Keep your finger tip on the side of the screw as you guide it in. You could also magnetize your screwdriver yourself.

2 Likes

That’s a good solution. Thanks!

1 Like

This is hardware, dude, not gaming thread :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thanks for the wellwishing! I’m glad you believe it’s superficial because, if it is, it won’t be visible. As I said earlier, I have the CORSAIR Carbide 100R Silent, so there’s no window, and I plan to keep it under the desk, anyway!

Haha! I think they were trying to make a joke. Like, “really, you remember your first build?”, as if that was so long ago that the computer ran off steam and valves. That’s the way I read it…

2 Likes

I went the opposite route and made my computer as flashy as I could