Damaged Chipset Heatsink

yeah, you got it!

Haha!

I get it. I was going to do the same. But I realized this was my first build and Iā€™m on a budget. I know as I continue building rigs I will start adding frivolous features. For instance, I really like that Cooler Master case - MasterCase H500 - with the massive 200 mm RGB fans up front. But I also know that I donā€™t need that, necessarily.

1 Like

While itā€™s nice to look at, I want to give a word of warning about the H500: Itā€™s got horrible airflow. The H500m is a better case because the front is a mesh, which allows for more airflow through the fans.

If there is physical damage to surface components then it might be a problem.
What you call heatsink is not inteligent at all, the motherboard will function without it and just slowly build up heat on the chip.

Even the most demanding x570 chipsets can be cooled with a small heatsing and a fan. So to answer your OP question - it will be fine and you can check if there is a fan inside and if it still spins - there should not be one for your motherboard. The next thing is how it affected heat resistance and that should be only significant if there is no airflow around the heatsink - so if you have a front 12cm fan, put it at the bottom slot and you should be fine

I knowā€¦ And I tried to make expectations subversion jokeā€¦ Iā€™m not good at this :frowning:

Thank you for the heads up!

Itā€™s all good!

Thanks for the info. Itā€™s a B450, so it does not have a chipset fan. Hereā€™s to hoping itā€™s just superficial!