Currently have a dead pc,looking to upgrade

god damn numbers its late

we don't even know what's dead at this point (he never mentioned), just that he wants to upgrade. His 2nd option was to upgrade to the 7870k, that why we ended up with the 860k lol (which I own and can benchmark for him, also I have a brand new GTX 950 coming in this week)
Also, with the Benchmarks I can do with the G3258 and 860k, I have the ability to do OC'ed and non-oc'ed benchmarks with the GTX950 for "fairer comparison to the q9650)

guys,let's get along nicely okay? :)
okay,so judging by the benchmark score the athlon wins in terms of score,because it's newer

i get where @SoulFallen is coming from,because the core2quad is the same socket as my core2duo and i already have the mobo that supports it,it would be easier to just swap the cpu and put a new GPU there

but because i have no luck finding a cheap core2quad,i guess i'll just go the 860k or 7870k route and add a new discrete GTX950 later down the road

Unless you have an old GPU laying around as your interm solution, you will have to spend more to get the 7870k. The 860k dosen't have a discrete gpu (Technically) but some people have managed to hack it and activate the onboard GPU (effectively making it a 7850k)

i thought the 860k had basic graphics?

Def not, the 860K is a 7580K with the graphics portion of the chip disabled (thats why I run 16GB (2x8) 1600Mhz ram :P)

Im just going to throw this into the mix:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LkDZMp

An extra $25 goes a long way, and iin my opinion, is totally worth it.

Mine's better.
fixed it:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j4N6wP

how is 4GB gonna work if you gaming... (Maybe I'm just a heavy user but my system runs @ 5.3GB/16.0GB of RAM)

4gb works fine gaming i've done it before. can always add a stick later.

1 Like

That board though...

i've used the intel version of it a year ago it's still running.

1 Like

Okay. It isn't necessarily the longevity so much as exoandibility though.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wXYNMp Here, 8GB of ram (He says he dosen't need a case)

Edit:My only concern is that the case that he is using with these high TDP AMD cards... might be a catastrophic choice to make (thermal throttling = lower fps) (I know because i'm using a 280x :P used it in an Antec isk600, had thermal throttling all over the place with only 1 120mm intake)

that works.

GTX 950 came in today, I will do benchmarks when I have free time tomorrow.

Thanks for the update,looking forward to the benchmarks

Benchmarking the 860K GTX950 Combo right now.... Ran into 1 problem, Far Cry 3 needs to be reinstalled (Same with Metro 2033), it's crashing while loading. I will get to my friends place where steam works as intended unlike mine... so far Bioshock Infinite 75.42 fps across 3 runs, Metro Last Light Redux is benching as we speak (I work off a laptop usually) and I will also post the settings I used/ max and min FPS for 3 separate runs I did. Please take into account that this is a best case scenario... this is done with a Thermaltake Core V1 with the side panels off... (Max fresh air, nothing blocking)

Edit: Metro just Finished. Ave FPS Across
The first 3 are the 3 runs I did for consistency, the last one is the ave fps out of all the tests.
Bioshick Infinite:
Metro Last Light:
Metro 2033:
Tomorrow I will do Far Cry 3, GTA 4 (Maybe tonight if it will cooperate), Metro 2033, and Kholat (Unreal Engine 4 Game requested by the guy who owns this Gigabyte GTX 950 OC Edition Single 90mm fan)

Edit 2: Turns out the 280X was being a bitch and wouldn't run the Metro 2033 Benchmark. The Gigabyte GTX950 will happily run it. I also did te tests with a well used OS (what a normal person with normal stuff installed on their OS and apps running in the background unlike reviewers, who probably have like nothing running but Steam and the game)

Settings for each game benchmarked so far:

I will also be doing benchmarks Oc'ed @ 4.3Ghz and using an Intel I3-4170 @ 3.7Ghz <-- My friend owns it as well, but he isn't here to pick it up till end of November, so just go ahead and request benchmarks for your desired game and I hopefully can run it for you

My 280X is a non-overclocker out of the box :( so it's stuck @ 1100 Mhz but the GTX 950 I will have to check what clock speed it is boosting at.

Gigabyte GTX 950 Statistics
ASIC Quality 74.6%
+200 Mhz on the core right now will push it further to see what I can get out of it.
the results above were all GPU Boost 2.0 doing its Job, so I don't know how good manual overclocking will do.
Metro LL Redux with 200Mhz OC = 1529Mhz
+240Mhz results

TBH I honestly think you should be able to max out the settings with Far Cry 3 bring such a old game @ 60fps 1080P, but I will confirm tomorrow.

@Dcorlisslai
Thanks for taking the time to benchmark these games for us

I really appreciate these results and looking forward to my build

I'm assuming the 7870 will run better with gtx950 than the 860k due to higher stock clock

Considering i'm still using my ghetto
1280x1024 monitor,i think i'm stuck with 720p gaming until i upgrade to a new monitor

I can overclock the 860K to be exactly on par with the 7870k @ 3.9 stock, 4.1 turbo lol.

I got a max overclock of +241 Mhz on the core and memory is around 100/105 Mhz OC on the Gigabyte GTX 950.
Fan speed never exceeded 43% (Really quiet) and Temps were 73C Max.