Crypto Mega-Thread [A.K.A Cryptocurrency mining isn't for hobbyists and Ethereum's terrible]

Here, I’ll start to get the ball rolling:

This is over 5 years + of involvement.

Curious to see y’all’s.

I tried this once but gave up after I had to download the blockchain ( 25-ish GB) and it wouldn’t sync up. This was 2 years ago.

Tried what, mining? running a node?

You can own crypto without downloading a fuckton of data using SPV wallets (on most coins)

How do you think people trade on their phones?

It came.

mining bitcoin, at the time.

1 Like

ugh crypto noobs these days:

Hmm those two basic concepts point to simply trading/investing over mining, even if you have bought assets.

1 Like

It’s almost like people with a basic understanding of business and economics came to this conlcusion years ago

1 Like

Rip BCash:

It’s done nothing but lose money since exchanges opened shorts and trading.

Dump it while you can boys

1 Like

I posted that a couple posts up

damn I didn’t see it

yuuuuuuup

1 Like

hmm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2017/08/04/how-to-report-bitcoin-cash-and-avoid-irs-trouble/#3b6cc30666cc

The BTC-e shitshow is par for the course on exchange behavior.

Bitfinex just started an ICO for a “decentralized smart contract ICO trading platform” with their own shitcoin lol

3 Likes

I was halfway through a post suggesting the thread not descend into circlejerkery, but then I realised what thread I was in.

Grab a member and start yanking my friend. You’re in the Shitcoin Lounge now.

1 Like

Yes, if you have a large amount years old pre-existing hash power, and live in a country that only charges ~$0.034/KWH for consumer electricity (Rick lives in Taiwan iirc, and they charge ~NT$2.8/KWH) the profit margins open up a little to small(er) miners.

Rick’s barely turning a profit with almost free electricity and roughly twice the hash power. He even says he has concerns about short term profitability, concluding he probably should have just bought Ethereum.

None of these circumstances apply to you.

What’s even funnier is that he could run a memory optimization strap and made way more on zcash

3 Likes

lol people are dumping Bcash for literally anything else

3 Likes

That is a misrepresentation of the video I watched.

He thinks it’s a misappropriation of resources because it’ll take him longer to get 10 Ether, his goal, than he originally expected, and he bought his hardware for Boinc.

barely making profit

In what world is $400+ per month “barely making profit”?

… I mean, his listed he power costs in a table in the video.

His power costs twice as much as mine does ($0.1651 vs $0.08125).

Between the approximate $400 profit at current rates, and the fact he’s making it at twice the power cost, you’re right, his circumstances are not mine.

Part of my problem with some things you say isn’t so much what you say, but how you say it. But here? Blatant misrepresentation of facts.