Crosshair Hero VII BIOS problems

yesterday I transplanted all hardware from my old motherboard:

AsRock AB350 PRO onto my new Crosshair Hero VII.

To my surprise everything seemed to work perfectly, which is unusual for me cause I’m cursed. I went to sleep suspending the system. Today when i woke up I tryed strating but was greated with kernel panic, my good old friend.

So i decided to to update my BIOS first. Yeah and theres the problem. When trying to enter BIOS i had to wait for quite a while. In BIOS handling was very laggy until it froze (which i never ever had before not even on the cheapest motherboard, good old Abit BH6).

OK np, i simply reset CMOS, but now I’m stuck on boot screen trying to enter BIOS and nothing happens.

Postcode is: b6

Can someone provide me a link with all postcodes, trying to find it via google leads me to some stupid forums where ppl dont know what they are doing, I’m sick of anandtech and toms hardware

I was able to “solve” the problem myself. removed 2 of my memory sticks, got the board to reinitialize and was therefore able to enter BIOS again. After reinserting the RAM sticks everything works again.

Why you ask? Thats what I ask myself as well, b6 is supposedly:

B6 - Clean-up of NVRAM

What has NVRAM to do with DRAM? No idea. After getting stuck at b6 three times in a row, no matter if I clean CMOS or not, nor does it matter that I use the recyle BIOS button, my faith in the board is a little bit shaken. Cause when you are forced to rely on luck by poking around and doing random stuff, cause the build in fail saves dont work, …

I have a bad feeling about this.

1 Like

jup, postcode precision sucks most of the time.
Except on Supermicro, there it’s more or less correct.
B6 is from my experience Ram.
For example, booting without ram goes to B0 or so.
Dead Ram channels often go to B5, B6 or B9.

Everything after B5 is most likely Ram Training, aka Frequency related.
Or long screw damage and some cut traces, causing training errors.

I first thought of a bad flash, though since you resolved it, that can’t be it.

Don’t worry, voodoo bullshit is pretty normal : )

looks like i was celebrating a little bit prematurly.

after being able to restart its now even harder to enter BIOS. Not sure what to try next. ill try removing everything else from the board maybe i’ll get lucky again, as of right now it looks like i’ll be returning it anyways.

i’m sad.

how about you reflash your bios first?

Asus has the bios flashback functionality.

Apparently the new AGESA is buggy as hell, so you probably should avoid it. (That being said, I haven’t tested it myself)

that was my initial intention, but i have no clue how to flash without being able to enter bios.

yeah. it came with a 5 something BIOS version, newest current version is 8 something, though I would take any AGESA bugs over what i have right now

Avoid BIOS 0804. 0702 seems best for now. Aside, Asus seems to be skipping the latest AGESA and will go with the next version in a future BIOS.

The CrashFree BIOS feature is essential. Use the “BIOS” labelled USB port on the motherboard to flash BIOS, without even needing a CPU or RAM.

I had issues with lagging and freezing BIOS. I eventually RMA’d it. I have a whole thread on that debacle.

3 Likes

sounds like you had some “great” experience with the board. i’ll download the 0702 and install. the bios wasn’t detecting my USB drive before, when I was still able to enter. though i noticed it was able to find my nvme drive .

whats the thread called, can u link it?

Asus recommends that the USB drive be FAT formatted and USB2 since some larger USB3 drives don’t work well.

The thread was part rant, part review at a moment when I was deciding between sticking with the C7H or going with another board. Yes, lots of “great” experiences haha.

1 Like

thanks for your link, that thread is really a good summary of my current suffering, with additional info. I havn’t tried resetting the BIOS hard by removing the battery yet. Maybe I will give it a try.

The first few times I entered the BIOS, it worked like it should and had no lags. Do you remember if it was the same thing for you?

USB2 and FAT32, for the drive check. I’ll try it right away.

Unfortunately, I didn’t find a pattern.

Worth a shot though it didn’t help me. Also try just shutting off the power and unplugging the PSU from the wall. Apparently, that forces more of a reset and memory re-training.

There are all kinds of voodoo recommendations like waiting at least 30 minutes with the power unplugged, or also removing PCIe devices like graphics cards.

And then there’s RMA. I’ve had no issues with the replacement. Luck of the draw?

My sympathies, I know it’s extremely frustrating.

1 Like

well this time i fear I’m in trouble. i removed all RAM sticks except one and managed to boot. i did shut down entered the BIOS and was able to start flashing version 0702 from my USB drive i prwpped like u sugested and used the dedicated BIOS port on the board. Since maybe 10 to 15 min the update is stuck at about 75% and not moving at all. Postcode A4.

I actually dont feel the progress bar its gonna continue moving at all.

Use the BIOS Flashback feature (sorry, that’s what I meant by CrashFree).

Also check out the “How to use Flashback” section at https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101617-Crosshair-VII-Hero-Essential-Info-Thread

Here’s the relevant page from the Asus C7HWIFI manual:

1 Like

Nice. Was able to flash my BIOS with this method. Lets frase it this way I was at least able to enter BIOS and set up thing without it lagging or freezing multiple times in a row.

TBH I would have had to struggle much harder without your help. I’ll check out if everything works as I expect, especially adding all 4 RAM sticks without getting kernel panic and weird post codes out of nothing.

a little addition for people like me not using the WIFI edition, the flashback file has to be named:

C7H.CAP

didn’t i write “asus bios flashback” a while a back ?

Just wondering.

Nice that it has worked for you!

1 Like

Glad it helped. Hope it stays solved.

That seems tricky with Ryzen2, at least if you want higher memory frequencies. You’ll need to try and see what works with your specific setup.

I found that changing many BIOS settings could result in weird behavior requiring reflashing the BIOS, since “reset to defaults” in the BIOS seems like it may not reset everything.

you did indeed, but unfortunately I wasn’t aware that possibility to flash without using BIOS was called flashback, so I wasn’t fully grasping your intent.

1 Like