Crosshair Hero VII BIOS problems

I’m aware of that, saw it in a der8auer video a while back. will probably sell my 4x4 kit which I got for “very cheap” 2017 prices and buy a 2x8.

However after I returned from work,I had to go through the hustle of removing RAM, flashing and all that stuff, … again. Exactly same issues as before. Of course now I’m, thanks to everyone’s help here, much more proficient in working around all that.

In summary I had no overclocking going, set the RAM speed to 2400MHZ which it is rated for and activated virtualisation, nothing else. The board worked fine when I left for work, powered even off and on af few times before going to leaving, repeatedly checking BIOS suspend to sleep, … Everything worked like a charm. A few moments later erratic behaviour.

Like what?

Have you tested the RAM and other components? Maybe try just JEDEC settings initially.

If you have issues after validating everything else, you might want to RMA the board while you still can, preferably with the retailer, since that’s usually faster/cheaper.

Erratic behaviour so far that I had new error messages, for “non” existing problems.

After boot it hang at the enter BIOS screen, asking to press F2 or Del.

I waited patiently about 10 min no change. I shut down, opened the lid, restarted and watched the postcode. It looked like it was hanging on enter BIOS on screen again, but watching the LEDS I saw that it was propably trying to train memory. I waited a few min and it moved on to the, you turned off your PC either through the power button or by cutting power screen where you can continue to the BIOS with the F1 key ( I should have taken a picture).

On that screen I tells how many USB devices are plugged in an splitting them up between keyboards, mice, hubs … Even though I didnt unplug any device my the amount of my USB devices was 0, no keyboard or any thing was found. I unpluged the keyboard try plugging it in again, nothing. Took my second keyboard plugged it multiple time in/out. No change. Unable to hit the F1 button I had to shut down again.

That was when I went through the whole reflash routine.

As I havn’t ordered RAM yet I simply took the RAM from my previous system which ran there for about a year without any noticeable errors. So I didn’t test it explicitly but I’m not a big fan of RAM testing software, but its fairly tested with a lot of use.

I’ll test it for this weekend and if it starts to bother me again, RMA it is.

I did finally return the board a replacement will return between 25th-28th for round no 2.

Plugging everything in my old board and booting without a problem for a change was quite nice.

2 Likes

just FYI new board is running for 5 days without a single issue

1 Like

These boards are pretty bad stability wise.
I have a VI Hero with an 1800X. and I still have random issues with fans locking to 100% and memory stability. I have pretty much given up and leave the board running the CPU at 4.125GHz (Pretty decent for an 1800X) and 64GB’s dual channel 3600MHz memory at 2993. It boots at 3200 and I’m sure if the latest bios and a days worth of tuning, I could push to 3200 C12 stable but idk what Asus did with this line but it’s not great.

The VII is essentially the same as the VI but with less powerful VRM and a few hardware changes due to SoC’s frying a micro onboard on auto SoC voltage when overclocking.

@aldr Glad your new board is running well. You’re certainly not alone in this RMA experience.

@DeltaTech It seems this board is very polarizing: some units are terrible/unstable, while others are solid. Maybe QA issues. The moral of the story seems to be to RMA as soon as possible and as often as necessary.

AGESA 1.0.0.6 now released in test BIOS 1101 for C7H WIFI by elmor of OCN: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/jkoxu4r003qu7/Release

I haven’t tried it, but those who are impatient now have something to experiment with.

This is not gonna help you but I’m gonna share my story of a other x370 am4 Mainboard I had similar problems with a asus the x370F strix Mainboard but the problem there was the ram and crashes and bluescreens the board itself which died one time after 1 week and now after 1 year this August so I’m on the 3 board now I like the mainboard and when it works it’s great I had corsair CMU16GX4M2C3000C15 2x8gb 3000mhz sticks with double sided memory before I bought trident Z 16gb 2x8gb cl14 amd Samsung b die Memory which solved the crashing issue and the random bluescreens . I have a older
h-67 asus Mainboard for the sandy bridge 1155 socket which is from 2011/2012 which is working since 6 years now and I have a other 1150 asus h97 board from 2014 which is working too since 4 years they had both i5’s in it i5 2500 ,i5 4590 .
I guess I had bad luck with the two x370 am4 asus boards hope the 3 one does fine for some years like the other boards I just mentioned .

don’t take me wrong, but I’d rather let others test and take the lead first :smiley:

Same here!

1 Like

I guess its simply manufacturing tolerances, falsified parts and so on which leads to faulty batches, of course not every item can be without flaw but when I think back to the good old days I believe there were fewer errors than today, where margins get smaller and complexity increases and product cycles get smaller thats the cost we consumers pay as beta testers

I guess there will always be some problems with products or some flaws but they can be fixed with some update or improvement :slight_smile:

like I haven’t read anything bad last year about the crosshair hero VII or that it had some similar problems like the x370f strix I have and I know someone who has it the crosshair VII he had no problems at all :stuck_out_tongue: