CPU-Cooler for Ryzen

I'm not going to put much more than 1.35V through my 1700 so I guess I could have gone for something smaller, but I picked the Noctua D15S for its asymmetric design that leaves more room for the first card slot. In the case of the Asus Prime X370 Pro motherboard there's also where the M.2 socket sits.

It requires a Noctua AM4 kit so it's either going to cost you a little extra as an acessory or some time waiting for the free kit coming from them. The D15S comes with a single fan which is fine for most setups, and a second set of fan clips are included just in case. Without a second fan there's also room for RAM sticks with crazy high heatsinks, should you be unfortunate to have bought any such fashion items.

Noctua specifies that the included fan is able to run as low as 300 RPM, but typically for what I've seen with a couple of different motherboards you're likely to have to settle for a RPM floor of around 600. Fortunately it's not audible at that speed either, and as I intend the have chassis fans turn off when the system idles I figure it's a good thing to have some fan spinning inside the case to make the heat move around a bit more. The PSU is also semi-passive.

1 Like

This is what I intend on using.

Might of taken a performance hit just to match but it should do well enough.

Yes better performing than Noctua´s.

The Noiseblocker, do outperform Noctua in cfm (airflow) and dBA (noise) and does so significantly

130-140 RPM does sound too low, i agree. It's what my BIOS screen says though. So i can prove it

It's on a Ryzen motherboard, so maybe faulty reading in some way. Will update BIOS at some point

Huh, have to look into that. Can you give me a link to a product page or just the exact model number?

Yeah, that is most likely the case then.

If you like that sort of bulky look there's also Raijintek's Ereboss Cooler.

(black coated version)

I believe PCPer also covered this cooler.

http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/products/noiseblocker-it-fans/nb-multiframe-series/120x120x25mm.php

M12-1 750rpm 3 Pin 6.0 V / 12.0 V 8 dBA 58.0 m³

Don't see the 300-400 RPM model, maybe it was discontinued, its been a couple of years since i checked

The Notcua NF-S12-800, moves 59 m³ according to

http://noctua.at/en/nf-s12-800/specification

The Noctua moves a tiny amount more at the cost of 50 RPM.

The race was not this close last i checked, a couple of years ago, anyway looks like a tie

My bad, keep in mind though. The Noctua is a heatspeader only. The Multiframe is both a heat spreader and radiator optimized in one

Did not check price, wonder if Noctua is cheaper

I think the NF-F12 might be a better comparison then. From what I see they are on par or close to each other in nearly every aspect. But that is only looking at specs given out by the companies themselves. I had noiseblocker fans when 80mm was considered a big fan. ... They didn't last that long and that is why since then I haven't looked at the brand.

Anyway, ripping a noctua fan from the heatsink only makes sense for aesthetics. If it is just about performance, you might want to put the noctua fan back on there. Also, pushpull doesn't do a whole lot for cooling if you are using static pressure fans.

PM sent

Update: the 1700X is now available with the wraith max cooler. But since the boxed version without the cooler has dropped to 400€, while the version with the cooler costs 460€ (though I've only found at one retailer in germany so far, so this may change), its pretty obvious, that it makes more sense to just buy a proper cooler (though I'm sure the wraith max isn't horrible). I'm just against using the stock cooler, because with my i5 I thought "It can't be THAT bad" and I was wrong. So now I'm using an i5 that doesnt turbo...