CPU-Cooler for Ryzen

My build is done so far, software today. So I will be able to answer that tomorrow or so.

Sweet! What are the other specs?

Corsair Carbide 400Q case
3 x 120mm and one 140mm Noctua fans, all PWM
Seasonic Platinum 750
Asus Prime X370 Pro
AMD RYZEN R7 1700
Noctua NH-U14S CPU cooler using the AM4 upgrade kit
16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2800 (I might double that up later)
Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Nitro
Intel X540 T2 dual 10Gb NIC
HyperX Predator 240GB m.2 SSD on PCIe card (gameplay footage)
Intel 600p NVME SSD 128GB (OS+stuff)
Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD (games)
and two old harddrives ... for nostalgic reasons or so

1700 is weirdly cooler than 1700X...
Is it because some modules are turned off and they are producing much heat, is it because of binning, nobody knows, but almost all reviewers say, 1700 @4ghz is cooler than both 1700X or 1800X @4ghz...

Left to right: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Scythe Ninja 4 (SCNJ-4000); Noctua NH-D14; Thermaltake Le Grand Macho RT

Benchmarks for each:

2 Likes

Can't find anything about fan speeds in there. But it looks about what I would expect from those coolers.

They probably gave the 1700X and 1800X a voltage that would safely allow them to hit 4ghz. The with the 1700, the clock speed and voltage are much lower and most people overclocking it adjust the voltage anyway. That would hlbe my guess at least

Would you recommend the ASRock Taichi as the best overclocking board so far?

I have a Hyper212, works pretty well. It idles at 30c and load at 64. So it isn't all that bad. I do plan on upgrading to noctua but for now it works well enough.

What are your specs and clock?

I am running a ASUS B350 Prime Plus. 1700 @ 3.8ghz. I have yet to adjust vcore as i haven't figured out how to. But I did a handbrake encode taking 50minutes and it was running cool and stable.

2 Likes

On paper it looks great, it should supply super smooth power, even if you are not going to be using the 300w it's capable of, the components used should make it a really reliable board.

From what reviewers are saying it's giving good results, I haven't had the chance to use one yet though, so am only speculating.

Well the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT looks pretty good and it costs 30€ less than the NH-D15
Also @noenken, how is your NH-U14S handling the OC'd R7 1700?

No idea. It is fine in the UEFI but as I mentioned in other threads, so far I haven't found a way to monitor ryzen temps and voltages in linux. That is also why I haven't hit the CPU with massive workloads over longer periods yet.

Well this was resolved due to the 20C temp offset on the X series now.

I'm Running a RaijinTek Themis cooler on my 1700X. It's a weird brand, but costs less and performs better than CM Hyper 212 and a few others.

I also had the huge 900gram Raijintek Ereboss to test, but it didn't actually perform any better and was just way too heavy and HUGE for my liking.

I've got the NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU-Cooler - 120mm

Replace the Noctua fan, with a better PWM fan. Can even dual fan on this awesome little cooler

Replaced mine with x2 Arctic fans running in "quiet" mode. About 130+ RPM

Uhm, I am really curious what do you mean by better here. Better looking maybe?

Again, what do you mean by 130+?

Better as in better performing.

Like the Arctic ones, are great for price/performance/noise

If you want high quality Noiseblocker PWM from E-Loop series

My own dual Arctic fans are idling at about 130-140 RPM on a Ryzen system with low 20s celcius

Better performing ... than nuctuas?
I honestly don't think there is anything out there that can significantly outperform noctua fans when it comes to airflow/db.

That sounds ... just plain wrong. I don't believe that number.